Best Season of "The Wire"

maqroll

What Was the Best Season of "The Wire"?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. What Was the Best Season of "The Wire"?

• Season 1
    • Season 2
    • Season 3
    • Season 4
    • Season 5

I personally think 1 was the best. It was so new, so raw, so **** tense and brilliant.

I think 2 was the weakest. It verged on parody and fell into some easy cliches.

Taken as a whole, however, and you've got the best cop show of all time.

I know there's a thread about The Wire, but I'm curious to see what the numbers are among it's fans here on VT

They were all fantastic. I like what they did with the bad guys in season 3 though, and I love what they did with the police in season 4.

I don't think there was a "best" season, they are all so good. My favourites are 3-5, if I had to vote I would probably say 4.

All of them were brilliant but I thought the return of Stringer Bell and Barksdale in Season 3 was sublime. The tension was great. Season 5 was a great curtain call too.

The reason I liked the later seasons is because I think that is where the best characters come into their own. I loved Stringer Bell, he didnt really have that much to do in season 1, Omar just got better and better with every passing season (I think he really moved into a "lead" character after the episode where he was in court, the one that was on TV last night) Prop Joe became a great character as time went by (mind you, he was great from the first episode he was in, the episode where he was manager of the basketball team who beat Avon's team). Bodie was brilliant too, and the fall and rise of officer Presboluski. And Mr Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit of course.

Dont want to spoil anything for anybody who hasnt seen anything that hasnt already been transmitted on BBC2, so I have not mentioned anything that hasnt happened or any character that hasnt appeared in season 1.

I enjoyed season 5 a lot too. Im glad they definitely made an "ending" to the show, and I really liked how they **** with the viewers perception of one character in particular.

I voted season 1. As others have said, it was so new and raw. I thought season 2 got better and better after a slow start. About 3/4 the way through season 3 . Not as good as seaon one I think.

Trying to watch on one a night as I want to make the five seasons last longer!!

I was actually thinking about this recently as I started to watch through the series again. I voted 4, but series 3 was close.

Watching it again its great to see how events are set up in much earlier episodes.

Stop fapping over this program! Its not even any good!

:bonk:

You like being in minorities don't you?

Scottish football, bible thumping, and now The Wire-hater

I voted for Season 2 mainly because I really enjoyed the family dynamics of the Sobotkas and I liked the way it broadened the issues raised in Season 1 to incorporate the decline of manufacturing and other blue collar trades. Also, I thought it was the most distinctly Baltimore of the series since it dealt with issues like the decline of the Port specifically and the Chesapeake Bay in general. Crime, drugs, corruption and unemployment topics could just as easily be said about other cities so Season 2 made it a little more specific. Since I grew up in that area I was probably a little biased towards that season.

4 & 2 were my favourites

i loved the way it could go off on a near to complete tangent to the previous series, introduce a ton of new characters and yet still lose absolutely nothing, 4 edged it cos the kids were better than ziggy who i wanted to hit for half the series!

I voted for season four. What they did with the hoppers was just a fantastic piece of television, and the performances from the young actors were very moving.

Season four was the highlight of the highlight of modern television. Best show ever.

• 12 years later...
Â