The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I reckon I'd quite enjoy Jay Z and Beyonce

Want me to go in your place?

Don't fall for it, Lakota. He's only after the month of wild sex. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Don't fall for it, Lakota. He's only after the month of wild sex. 

heh, Think i would prefer to just go to the gig ;)

Based on previous expecience of getting dragged to see the pussycat dolls who actually turned out to be quite good (It was an open air thing at silverstone on a race weekend when lewis hamilton was with nicole  and we were already there anyway) i'm still holding on to some hope that it may not be completely shit but guess we'll see tomorrow

Just back from seeing Gruff Rhys in Exeter. 

quality as always and it didn't really matter that he played the new album in full from the off, considering it's not released until this friday. New tracks were very good indeed and followed by a healthy dose of back catalogue. 

his backing band were also decent, particularly the drummer - one of the best I've seen in a long while!

if he's playing in a venue near to where you live, Go and see him. 

11 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

he played the new album in full from the off, considering it's not released until this friday. New tracks were very good indeed and followed by a healthy dose of back catalogue. 

This appears to be a new thing.

Play the new album from start to finish at the start of the set then play the old stuff that everyone knows at the end

Courtney Barnett did it on Monday, even though her albums been out a short while now, I still find it an odd approach

Never used to be the way

• Like 2

5 hours ago, wazzap24 said:

LCD Soundsystem in Manchester tonight.

one hour to go. I might be a bit excited. 

I have no words. Best gig I've ever seen. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, bickster said:

This appears to be a new thing.

Play the new album from start to finish at the start of the set then play the old stuff that everyone knows at the end

Courtney Barnett did it on Monday, even though her albums been out a short while now, I still find it an odd approach

Never used to be the way

Bet it was still good though! 

Its a difficult conundrum whether to air new material or play the hits.

it didn’t diminish the enjoyment of the gig

1 minute ago, theboyangel said:

Bet it was still good though! 

Its a difficult conundrum whether to air new material or play the hits.

it didn’t diminish the enjoyment of the gig

It was a great gig in a great venue. It's just a different way of doing it. The old way used to be.... play some new ones, play some old ones, play some new ones etc. Can't ever remember seeing a band that played the new album in its entirety first (in order too!) then played the hits, until very recently

• Like 1

I wonder if part of the problem might be that some artists are still putting together a piece of new material and working out a 40 to 50 minute package and deliberating over a running order. Where on the album to stick the banging single, where the trying something different track goes etc.
Then they release their baby out in to the wild and people download 3 tracks, or listen to it in alphabetical order because of the way their Sonos works etc..
So the playing of the album in order is their only control over how an audience receives the new material.
Followed by a quick tour of the greatest hits for the second half of the show as a pay off for listening.
It’s just a theory! I know I’ve been to a good few Alabama 3 gigs where that’s the accepted format, new album followed by ‘classics’ done as an acoustic set, followed by classics done full band and laptop stylee. 

From memory, the Lovely Eggs did it slightly more traditional, started with a couple of new pieces, then mixed it up, then no encore. I’m yet to see an Eggs encore and I’m four shows in.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I wonder if part of the problem might be that some artists are still putting together a piece of new material and working out a 40 to 50 minute package and deliberating over a running order. Where on the album to stick the banging single, where the trying something different track goes etc.
Then they release their baby out in to the wild and people download 3 tracks, or listen to it in alphabetical order because of the way their Sonos works etc..
So the playing of the album in order is their only control over how an audience receives the new material.
Followed by a quick tour of the greatest hits for the second half of the show as a pay off for listening.
It’s just a theory! I know I’ve been to a good few Alabama 3 gigs where that’s the accepted format, new album followed by ‘classics’ done as an acoustic set, followed by classics done full band and laptop stylee. 

From memory, the Lovely Eggs did it slightly more traditional, started with a couple of new pieces, then mixed it up, then no encore. I’m yet to see an Eggs encore and I’m four shows in.  

Very valid point!

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Can't ever remember seeing a band that played the new album in its entirety first (in order too!) then played the hits, until very recently

I saw Elton John at Wembley Stadium in 1975, the day that the "Captain Fantastic" album (the follow-up to "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road") came out. He opened up with a few hits, which went down really well, and then announced that they were going to play the whole of the new album. At least half the audience (including me and my girlfriend) immediately headed for the exits. 

Edited by mjmooney

35 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I saw Elton John at Wembley Stadium in 1975, the day that the "Captain Fantastic" album (the follow-up to "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road") came out. He opened up with a few hits, which went down really well, and then announced that they were going to play the whole of the new album. At least half the audience (including me and my girlfriend) immediately headed for the exits. 

Neil Innes: 'ladies and gentleman I've suffered for my music. Now it's your turn.'

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, bickster said:

It was a great gig in a great venue. It's just a different way of doing it. The old way used to be.... play some new ones, play some old ones, play some new ones etc. Can't ever remember seeing a band that played the new album in its entirety first (in order too!) then played the hits, until very recently

It was really very, very good. But  I sort of think that the first six songs (side 1 basically and then the first from side 2) were epically  good, and then it dipped a bit, and then picked up later on - but if it had been a bit more mixed up it would have been even better. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Was that the day the Beach Boys blew him away? They were pretty decent live back in 1970-75

23 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Was that the day the Beach Boys blew him away? They were pretty decent live back in 1970-75

Yes, it was. The BBs were fantastic, perfect band for a sunny day, totally stole the show. 

38 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Yes, it was. The BBs were fantastic, perfect band for a sunny day, totally stole the show. 

Very envious you got to see Dennis and Carl performing live

1 hour ago, rjw63 said:

Very envious you got to see Dennis and Carl performing live

And Brian. And Al. And that other bloke who we don't mention. 

• Like 1

Â