The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

21 minutes ago, blandy said:

Thing is, both her and Olivia Rodriguez - I mean the likes of us are not their target audience. Both got some banging tunes, mind. Olivia Rodriguez "Brutal" would fit in any era since the 70s and Billie Eillish, you have to listen with a decent system/headphones - the bass is a massive part of it and it's almost inaudible on normal TV or radio or phone speakers. Put some good headies on and it's completely different and they both super-connected with the crowd, which is impressive for basically teenagers.

I think I am essentially Olivia Rodriguez's potential audience, and off the back of the Glastonbury coverage it's highly likely I will buy her album. Billie Eillish has elements I enjoy but is too far away from the "pop" I enjoy to make me want to listen to anything outside of Bad Guy. 

6 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

I agree - my take is he's a complete charlatan and those lucky sequences were probably suggested to him by someone else.

Anyone remember his Oratorio he did with the London Symphony Orchestra about steak 'n' chips? - Yeah, didn't think so.

I remember his Liverpool one with Dame Kiri te Kanawa

Popular opinion loved it (because most of them knew no better), professional opinion thought it didn’t work and was highly critical

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

CBA to find the 'Crap Claims to Fame' thread, but I just ventured a mildly critical opinion on Macca's performance on Facebook, and got told to **** off by Ian McNabb of The Icicle Works. 

The Scouse mafia sure sticks together. 

I find it best not to voice my opinion of the Beatles with some of my friends, Ian McNabb being one of them :D

If it makes you feel any better, most of Ian's friends don't even like him any more

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

It does feel like a mafia. Reading the BBC report on last nights McCartney show was like reading Pravda.

Yeah. Same in all the papers, too.

I didn't watch it and have set a reminder to make sure I don't watch it on iPlayer, too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

To me it just seems people have been told that for the last 50 years so they just go along with it without question.

McCartney has, at best, shit housed his way into 2 or 3 lucky chord sequences in 60 years, and at worst, is a complete charlatan foisted upon us by a marketing machine that has been going since the 60's.

Because of his name and available funding, he's been able to surround himself with the best producers and session musicians who have kept the output almost passable.

That’s kinda  disingenuous to lots of people who ever switched on a radio.

I get music is subjective , I like The Beatles , nobody has told me I have to like them , but they’ve managed to stick a few chords together in a way that appeals to me and in a way that Coldplay sticking a few chords together hasn’t ( and probably never will)

There are countless shows that reveal the working process of McCartney (and Lennon ) yes George Martin played his part but the creativity , the ideas came from the artist , there is a reason they are the most influential band on the planet and it isn’t cause they got lucky with 2 or 3 chords 60 years ago

but that’s just my view , other views are equally valid

• Like 4

From glancing at Twitter it does seem those who enjoyed Macca last night are very much on the offensive, shouting down anyone who didn’t think it was anything other than spellbinding. 

I only caught a bit, switched on as he was playing “I’ve just seen a face” and it wasn’t great, but I thought the song picked up as it went on, the backing singers seemed to make their presence more apparent.

But I’m not hugely bothered about his stuff post 1970 and looking at the setlist I’m not too fussed about having missed most of it. I don’t ever need to hear “Hey Jude” again. I’d rather listen to “For No One” three times and have a minute or so spare.

Slightly surprised he didn’t play “Yesterday”, in fairness.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I think I am essentially Olivia Rodriguez's potential audience, and off the back of the Glastonbury coverage it's highly likely I will buy her album. Billie Eillish has elements I enjoy but is too far away from the "pop" I enjoy to make me want to listen to anything outside of Bad Guy. 

I’d never heard of Roderigo until today , any thoughts of listening to her disappeared when she quoted Lilly Allen as being amazing (or something close)

Eillish I really didn’t get , but as blandy said I’m not really the target 

Haim got it right in appealing to my age group … wear leather pants and a bikini top and play some middle of the road music and don’t ruin the moment 

So the surprise guest on the Park Stage tonight is Jack White

I'm watching Nubia Garcia on West Holts right now, it's ok, pleasant jazz, not something I'd go and buy though (the percussionists and the keys players are the real talent though)

I just flicked onto Diana Ross, if the 20 seconds I saw were indicative, she really can’t sing any more, that voice is painful to hear, worse than McCartney's, that’s a horror show going out live

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Warmduscher on the Park Stage. Let the hilarity commence. Guaranteed that Tony will hate them

The BBC announced this as may contain extremely bad language :D no f***ing kidding

my first thoughts were they are a fusion of Metallica , Gary Numan and Ian Dury  meets the Beastie Boys :)  

Don't think I’d  buy their stuff but in festival mode ( ie about 68 pints of beer) I’d definitely enjoy them 

8 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

my first thoughts were they are a fusion of Metallica , Gary Numan and Ian Dury  meets the Beastie Boys :)  

Don't think I’d  buy their stuff but in festival mode ( ie about 68 pints of beer) I’d definitely enjoy them 

On record, they are not as chaotic, give 'em a listen, you might like it

36 minutes ago, bickster said:

I find it best not to voice my opinion of the Beatles with some of my friends, Ian McNabb being one of them :D

If it makes you feel any better, most of Ian's friends don't even like him any more

And the irony is that I'm probably a bigger Beatles fan than him anyway. I was merely stating the undeniable fact that McCartney's voice is totally shot. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

From glancing at Twitter it does seem those who enjoyed Macca last night are very much on the offensive, shouting down anyone who didn’t think it was anything other than spellbinding. 

I only caught a bit, switched on as he was playing “I’ve just seen a face” and it wasn’t great, but I thought the song picked up as it went on, the backing singers seemed to make their presence more apparent.

But I’m not hugely bothered about his stuff post 1970 and looking at the setlist I’m not too fussed about having missed most of it. I don’t ever need to hear “Hey Jude” again. I’d rather listen to “For No One” three times and have a minute or so spare.

Slightly surprised he didn’t play “Yesterday”, in fairness.

Dunno about the whole Twitter stuff and the tribalism of fans , but i watched Madness  at the Isle of Wight on the TV last week and it was kinda dreadful , another artist whose voice has gone ( not that he particularly had one )

talking to a few mates via WhatsApp who were there and they said it was a brilliant set and his voice was fine, everyone loved it  …one of them messaged me the other night to say he’d watched it back on TV and it was dreadful.

could it just be something similar last night , it’s Glastonbury, it’s McCartney (even with a shot voice ) it’s alcohol / ingested chemicals and the sum of the parts is something that doesn’t transcend well via a tv screen ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

And the irony is that I'm probably a bigger Beatles fan than him anyway. I was merely stating the undeniable fact that McCartney's voice is totally shot. 

He is a big Beatles fan but Neil Young is his main fixation

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

On record, they are not as chaotic, give 'em a listen, you might like it

not switched them off yet so they are doing well in that regard :)  

I’ll def look out for them if I’m at a festival 

Just now, bickster said:

He is a big Beatles fan but Neil Young is his main fixation

I know. And I agree with him on that, too. But now I want to go and tell him that most of what Neil's done since 'Psychedelic Pill' has been shite. 

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

Dunno about the whole Twitter stuff and the tribalism of fans , but i watched Madness  at the Isle of Wight on the TV last week and it was kinda dreadful , another artist whose voice has gone ( not that he particularly had one )

talking to a few mates via WhatsApp who were there and they said it was a brilliant set and his voice was fine, everyone loved it  …one of them messaged me the other night to say he’d watched it back on TV and it was dreadful.

could it just be something similar last night , it’s Glastonbury, it’s McCartney (even with a shot voice ) it’s alcohol / ingested chemicals and the sum of the parts is something that doesn’t transcend well via a tv screen ?

Oh I’m sure those attending had a different experience - for better or worse.

Just the impression I have is those shouting down the naysayers weren’t there. I am only basing that on guesswork, I haven’t seen much of “I was there mate, everyone loved it, Macca nailed it!” type tweets. Speaking for myself, I know if I was at a gig and I wanted to defend a performance I’d reference that I was in attendance. It adds a certain weight to the argument.

It’s been more “Let’s see your back catalogue and how well you perform aged 80.” style comments. At least from what I’ve seen.

Does it matter though? What people that weren’t there think? Even what others that were there think?

It’s so utterly subjective.

I went to a gig once where there was a reading out of all the drug related incidents jazz musicians had been involved in through the 1950’s. I thought it was fantastic, my gig buddy felt cheated of 15 minutes of music.

7 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Does it matter though? What people that weren’t there think? Even what others that were there think?

It’s so utterly subjective.

I went to a gig once where there was a reading out of all the drug related incidents jazz musicians had been involved in through the 1950’s. I thought it was fantastic, my gig buddy felt cheated of 15 minutes of music.

True enough 

personally I’d feel cheated if I was at a gig and the band pulled someone  out the crowd to spontaneously play a song with them that seems to be all the rage at the moment

i paid money to see you , not some wannabe  from tik tok

17 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

It’s been more “Let’s see your back catalogue and how well you perform aged 80.” style comments. At least from what I’ve seen.

Ah I see , those types of Twitter arguments 

say no more :) 

3 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

‘.

I mean, by best musician, are you suggesting he’s technically more proficient than people in bands like Sky that did all that 70’s rock / jazz / classical crossover stuff?

Sky - bassist was Herbie Flowers (as you doubtless knew). Played on Bowie's 'Space Oddity' amongst others. But ..... was also responsible for writing "Grandad'  - Clive Dunn !!

• Like 1

Â