The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

1 hour ago, Xann said:

Supposedly Mos Def's last ever London gig tonight as he's supposedly quitting after completing his outstanding commitments. 

It's under his Yasiin Bey moniker, still tix for upstairs at the Forum if you're in town?

Would liked to have gone to this. Used to love Black Star, and his solo work. Black on both sides was a big favourite of mine, back in the day.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

There are many times when I have to hold back the tears for this band. Love them with all my heart. Glad you enjoyed yourself. What night in brum are you at?

On the Thursday. Bit gutted my mate didn't get tickets for the Saturday. That's going to be special, I'd think.

Just now, dAVe80 said:

On the Thursday. Bit gutted my mate didn't get tickets for the Saturday. That's going to be special, I'd think.

I think it will. Apparently for the brum dates they are doing something a bit different. Maybe add a couple of lesser known songs or something. How was ozzy? No need to ask about iommi or geezer as they never play a bad show. 

Just now, Rugeley Villa said:

I think it will. Apparently for the brum dates they are doing something a bit different. Maybe add a couple of lesser known songs or something. How was ozzy? No need to ask about iommi or geezer as they never play a bad show. 

Yeah, looking at the setlists, they've been doing the exact same show it seems. I was hoping we might get something different in Brum. Maybe even a few surprise guests. Ozzy was actually really good. Voice sounded great, and he seemed to be enjoying himself.

2 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

Yeah, looking at the setlists, they've been doing the exact same show it seems. I was hoping we might get something different in Brum. Maybe even a few surprise guests. Ozzy was actually really good. Voice sounded great, and he seemed to be enjoying himself.

There is talk of adding some other songs. My only gripe with sabbath is they don't normally leave their comfort zone regarding the set list. But that is down to ozzy not being able to sing a lot of the songs now. He can't get the range on songs from sabbath bloody sabbath or sabotage. Either way I can't wait. When ozzy is in form you are guaranteed a great show.

2 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Half Man Half Biscuit again for the umpteenth time this Thursday.

Dukla Prague Away Kit and Joy Division Oven Gloves at the ready :)

for no real reason other than name dropping in front of @blandy 

I recently mentioned the Dukla Prague away kit to The Lovely Eggs, they didn't have a clue what I was referencing!

For all that's happened in the last year, that was the first time I'd been truly surprised.

• Like 2

Question for the older members of VT. Did any of you guys ever go to Morthers in Erdington, back in the day? I was talking to my mate's Dad at the gig about the times my Uncle had seen Sabbath back in the day, and Mothers got mentioned. I was aware that many big names band played there, as well as John Peel being the regular DJ, and also that at one point an American music magazine declared it the best rock club in the world. Seems remarkable to think this club was on Erdington High Street. If it was in Manchester or Liverpool, we'd never hear the end of it!

Has anyone got any memories of this place?

Got tickets for this 

Moneypennys-night-at-the-proms-688-488_78f63ab92840e1244ca6705da1120c9a.jpg

Should be interesting take on house classics.

Miss Moneypennys was fantastic place to go back in the day when Birmingham had some proper clubs

Edited by imavillan
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, dAVe80 said:

Question for the older members of VT. Did any of you guys ever go to Morthers in Erdington, back in the day? I was talking to my mate's Dad at the gig about the times my Uncle had seen Sabbath back in the day, and Mothers got mentioned. I was aware that many big names band played there, as well as John Peel being the regular DJ, and also that at one point an American music magazine declared it the best rock club in the world. Seems remarkable to think this club was on Erdington High Street. If it was in Manchester or Liverpool, we'd never hear the end of it!

Read an article on it not too long ago. Here you go...

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/whats-on/music-nightlife-news/remembering-mothers-rock-club---8673162

Although Mothers only ran for three years from 1968-71, the now legendary names which played there included Fleetwood Mac, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, Marc Bolan, Free, The Who and Midland giants Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin.

• Like 3

Saw mexrrissey at brum town hall, they're a Mexican morrissey tribute act singing in Spanish...really good, disappointingly small crowd, especially seeing as they sold out larger venues elsewhere, hopefully they'll do some festivals in the summer and get a bit of buzz around them, what they do works well

• Like 1

On 28/01/2017 at 12:29, Phumfeinz said:

Going to see De La Soul in March, can't wait.

Going by myself though because none of my friends like hip-hop and my girlfriend is working :(

I saw them at camp bestival the other year ... left after 3 songs to go and see Peter Hook playing Joy division and New order stuff in the big tent 

After the first song he told the audience to put their phones away  to let others enjoy the gig  ... so respect to him for that even if the music was shit 

On 27/01/2017 at 18:12, Rugeley Villa said:

There is talk of adding some other songs. My only gripe with sabbath is they don't normally leave their comfort zone regarding the set list. But that is down to ozzy not being able to sing a lot of the songs now. He can't get the range on songs from sabbath bloody sabbath or sabotage. Either way I can't wait. When ozzy is in form you are guaranteed a great show.

Talk? What talk? Would be pleased - seen the setlist and as good as it is, always like it when the mix it up. Particularly for the last show - would make a lot of sense! 

On 27/01/2017 at 20:20, dAVe80 said:

Considering where it was is a stone's throw from my house I am somewhat annoyed that it doesn't exist now....... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cyrusr said:

Considering where it was is a stone's throw from my house I am somewhat annoyed that it doesn't exist now....... 

I lived in Erdington till the age of 17, and other than my Uncle telling me about it (and me not really listening, "cus what do old people know about music?"), it never struck me how amazing it was that such a place existed in the same place as Wilton Market, B-Wise, and Sega World. 

'Mother' Yep remember it quite well. Before Mothers, it was called the Carlton Club - quite big on the 'Mod' scene and saw a number of excellent Brum bands there. One interesting memory of Mothers related to John Peel ; back in the 60's early 70's, it was not unusual for the Salvation Army to come in near the end of the night, collecting for their charity. A Sally Army bloke walked up the stairs to where Peel was sitting and he had just be paid out - in cash. Bloke shakes his tin and Peel pushes quite a bit of his cash into the blokes hands - with no ostentatious show at all. Pretty good we thought. Never played there - don't think we were good enough.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, cyrusr said:

Talk? What talk? Would be pleased - seen the setlist and as good as it is, always like it when the mix it up. Particularly for the last show - would make a lot of sense! 

I've read they will be adding some other songs but we shall see. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, cyrusr said:

3 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

They've not been playing The Wizard, so if they play that in Brum, that will make my evening! Plus they've only been doing songs from 4 or 5 albums (6 songs of Paranoid, most shows). A bit of variation would be nice. I'm not complaining too much though!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

11 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

They've not been playing The Wizard, so if they play that in Brum, that will make my evening! Plus they've only been doing songs from 4 or 5 albums (6 songs of Paranoid, most shows). A bit of variation would be nice. I'm not complaining too much though!

A bit of variety would be good - though if they do the normal set for the first show and then a different one for the final show I would be quite happy :) 

19 hours ago, dAVe80 said:

The other year they was opening their shows  with the first 4 songs off the first album which included 'The Wizard' . There are a lot of songs ozzy can't sing which is a shame. 

Â