The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

3 hours ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

Really enjoyed 'The Martian'. Pretty simple story and entirely predictable, but very well made with more than a few chuckles to be had. Looks great too.

pretty much sums it up, people won't be  talking about in 10 years but it was a good film. Ridley needs to crack on with Prometheus 2 now.

Watched the reservoir dogs prequel last night , usual QT affair  .... a bit too long , trying to be a  bit too clever for it's own good and ruined by the voice over half way through plus the only time its' acceptable to constantly use the word Nigger in a film is if it's the battle of Britain and not just to try and show how clever and cool you are .

obviously they couldn't get Christopher Waltz for this film so Tim Roth plays Waltz  playing an English man instead , the dialogue and mannerism clearly looked intentional

saying all that though I quite enjoyed it  , better than Kill Bill that's for sure

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

To be fair, I watched it having never seen any of the 'Alien' movies and not realising that it was part of a series, so maybe this is why I couldn't really make head nor tail of what was going on. That being said I normally enjoy movies in space, but I couldn't enjoy this one - it seemed like EXTREMELY LOUD nonsense to me, and logically none of it made any sense, reaching a nadir in that scene when Noomi Rapace runs about the ship being heroic immediately giving herself a C-section. 

• Like 1

Joy was enjoyable, I often imagine where I'd have ended up if the clippable mop wasn't invented.. It just doesn't bear thinking about though does it really?

9.5/10 because I have seen the inside of Jenifer Lawrence's poo hole.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

To be fair, I watched it having never seen any of the 'Alien' movies and not realising that it was part of a series, so maybe this is why I couldn't really make head nor tail of what was going on. That being said I normally enjoy movies in space, but I couldn't enjoy this one - it seemed like EXTREMELY LOUD nonsense to me, and logically none of it made any sense, reaching a nadir in that scene when Noomi Rapace runs about the ship being heroic immediately giving herself a C-section. 

Jamie Vardy played football 5 days after a Hernia Op .. when Mark Lawrenson played a hernia op meant you were out for 6 weeks  ... by 2093 due to privatisation of all medicine services and the vast improvements it brought about  , its possible that medicine has advanced sufficiently that you can recover from a C-section in 5 mins

agree with struggling with it because so much of it simply doesnt make any sense, its a beautiful looking film and its got a great cast but it just fails miserably, there are so many glaringly obvious plot holes its mad, and thats without the inability to turn whilst running

Spoiler

the scientists who are scared of the dead alien and run away but excited by the live one allowing them to be attacked was the film done for me

37 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

Was just coming on to post that Stevo! I hope it's what they are saying it is. 

Edit: It is! 'A blood relative' apparently.

“Her captor, a doomsday prepper, tells her he saved her life and that there has been a terrible chemical attack that has left the outside uninhabitable. She does not know what to believe and as tensions rise, she decides she must escape, regardless of the terrors that await outside.”

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

Was just coming on to post that Stevo! I hope it's what they are saying it is. 

Edit: It is! 'A blood relative' apparently.

Dunno what to think of it really.

I liked the original, although I think the excitement leading up to me might have been better than the film itself.

I always said I thought a film that ran parallel to Cloverfield would be really good, from a different perspective. Wasn't really expecting this though.

12 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I'm not biting on that "Battle of Britain" troll, Tony.

it wasn't a troll more an criticism on the film using the word Nigger about 687 times in order to gain whatever reaction it was QT was trying to evoke

it's QT being QT  ...but maybe it's just become a little tired now ....   Blazing saddles shows you how you can drop drop the Nigger word into a film  to good effect , Hateful 8 it just becomes irritating ( though maybe people in the US did speak like this circa 1870 and QT is being historically accurate ?)

10 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I liked the original, although I think the excitement leading up to me might have been better than the film itself.

I always said I thought a film that ran parallel to Cloverfield would be really good, from a different perspective. Wasn't really expecting this though.

I read some years back that he had the idea of making Cloverfield 2 as the same film but from the "monsters" perspective  ...

from that trailer I'm guessing this isn't Cloverfield 2 or he went off that idea

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's got me excited (easily done tbf)! 

I loved the whole concept and execution of the original. The monster reveal was always going to be a bit of a let down, but the build up was ace and the scenes in the underground with the crawling baby spider things were fantastic. 

I like how this looks. 

6 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I read some years back that he had the idea of making Cloverfield 2 as the same film but from the "monsters" perspective  ...

from that trailer I'm guessing this isn't Cloverfield 2 or he went off that idea

The speculation is its set years after the events of the first one. 

There was talk of another film set on the same night from another perspective and as you say, one from the monsters. 

it had all gone quiet and looked like it would never be made, but from JJ's comments, it's been in the works since the first. 

Edited by wazzap24

Â