The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Yes, It's not my kind of film but I went into it not really knowing what it was about and still enjoyed it.

I'm a bit of pussy when it comes to that sort of stuff though so if i'd have known before hand I probably would have avoided it but i'm glad I didn't.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Think Di Caprio will finally win his Oscar? 

Nailed on I would imagine.

I certainly hope so (even though I have a huge dislike of award ceremonies).

Just got back from seeing The Revenant.

What an absolutely incredible piece of cinema. Pretty much flawless in my opinion. 

This. For once, the overused word 'epic' is fully justified.

Brilliant film.

• Like 1

Just now, mjmooney said:

Brilliant film.

I was completely mesmerised by the whole thing. As someone who loves the technical aspect of film making along with the acting/story etc it's almost a perfect case study.

Not sure if you've seen Herzog's Aguirre, the Wrath of God Mike (i'm going to assume you have) but there were a couple of scenes which reminded me very much of that.

Seems the lack of diversity issue is tumbling on.... Drive time had some black director on just now saying it was wrong that no black people were nominated in the major awards .... When asked which black actors etc he thought had been overlooked he couldn't name anyone 

clearly I'm missing something !! I suppose it could be that black actors aren't getting the parts but  as some of the best actor films are based on real people I guess it would be quite hard to cast a black person in that role ?

• Like 1

Brilliant film.

I was completely mesmerised by the whole thing. As someone who loves the technical aspect of film making along with the acting/story etc it's almost a perfect case study.

Not sure if you've seen Herzog's Aguirre, the Wrath of God Mike (i'm going to assume you have) but there were a couple of scenes which reminded me very much of that.

I have indeed, and I agree. Seems like the cast were put through the mill much like Herzog's.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Seems the lack of diversity issue is tumbling on.... Drive time had some black director on just now saying it was wrong that no black people were nominated in the major awards .... When asked which black actors etc he thought had been overlooked he couldn't name anyone 

clearly I'm missing something !! I suppose it could be that black actors aren't getting the parts but  as some of the best actor films are based on real people I guess it would be quite hard to cast a black person in that role ?

Spike Lee is boycotting the 'lilywhite' oscars this year in protest. Surely the nominees should be the best actors in that year, and if they are all white, then so be it? I don't think any black actor would like to be nominated purely on a quota basis

I'm not as up to speed on the latest movies, but is there is any glaring omissions for black actors in this years nominees? 

• Like 1

Elba for beasts of no nations was one that I've heard mentioned  but I'm keeping away from debating Elba after I was called racist on Facebook for saying he couldn't be the next James Bond ... I mean he could but James Bond is white the same way as you couldn't recast Harry Potter as a black lead surely ?

but I agree with you , get nominated and win it because you deserve it and not just to keep Will Smiths wife happy

• Like 2

Think Selma missing out on a lot of nominations last year and the actor from 12 years a slave not winning the year before is a bigger story

The ones they are moaning about -

the bloke in creed, good performance but nowhere near enough for me

will smith in concussion is better but still not enough for me personally, the film isn't good enough either, it's not a powerhouse performance and it's a solid 7/10 film with very little hype, he was better in that film with his kid

Straight outta Compton - for best film? behave

Idris elba - still haven't seen it

I'd accept an argument that there aren't enough black lead actors in Hollywood more than I'd accept a pop at the best actor nominations

But then with that, 4/8 are based on real people, 3/8 are book characters, 1/8 is an existing character

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Xela said:

Spike Lee is boycotting the 'lilywhite' oscars this year in protest. Surely the nominees should be the best actors in that year, and if they are all white, then so be it? I don't think any black actor would like to be nominated purely on a quota basis

I'm not as up to speed on the latest movies, but is there is any glaring omissions for black actors in this years nominees? 

The argument usually boils down to white dominance being institutionalised, and thus the minority actors are prevented from taking the roles that they might shine in as brightly as any white nomination, as well as, particularly in the Oscars, studios not pushing minority actors and directors to garner nominations and wins.

Basically, whilst I agree with you and it should be a pure merit based award, the argument comes down to the deck being stacked against the minority participants and therefore it can't be a meritocracy. Not that the Oscars are that anyway, but that's by the by.

The major omission this year seems to be Idris on the basis of what I've heard, the other films and performances I don't recall immediately having award worthy praise at release, whilst Elba in Beasts of No Nation instantly had excellent critical reaction.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Elba for beasts of no nations was one that I've heard mentioned  but I'm keeping away from debating Elba after I was called racist on Facebook for saying he couldn't be the next James Bond ... I mean he could but James Bond is white the same way as you couldn't recast Harry Potter as a black lead surely ?

but I agree with you , get nominated and win it because you deserve it and not just to keep Will Smiths wife happy

He'd be a brilliant Bond you Philistine. The defining characteristic of James Bond is that he's English, colour doesn't come into it.

Said before I really don't want him as bond, for continuity purposes for a start, for characteristics that his personality would bring to the character 2nd, his age 3rd, the fact that he's a good enough actor to deserve something written for him rather being shoe horned in to the role 4th...

Of course colour comes in to it, he's an existing character

11 minutes ago, V01 said:

He'd be a brilliant Bond you Philistine. The defining characteristic of James Bond is that he's English, colour doesn't come into it.

Connery, and Lazenby say Hello  :)

Elba as Bond won't happen, mostly because he's probably too old to start off now, but if he did take on the part, or any non white bloke, it could immediately confirm the fan theory that James Bond 007 is a code name that has been passed between different men over the years.

You'd have to ignore Skyfall of course, unless you also assume the DB5 comes with the name as well...

Edited by Chindie

Â