The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Just watched the trailer for World War Z.

It looks TERRIBLE.

the book is terrific because of the way it's written, it's not a story per se but a journal detailing events following a zombie outbreak.

Sounds like the film studio, bought the rights to the book, signed up Brad Pitt and threw the book away, keeping only the title.

It'll be awful and another book fallen foul to film execs! :(

Pitt bought the rights when the book was released and the studio then used it as more of an inspiration than a direct adaptation.

The film is massively over budget, they actually had to go back and film a different ending amongst other issues, but it's getting half decent word of mouth surprisingly. It should be a recipe for disaster (especially as Lindelhof is involved I think) but it looks like they've gotten away with it...

It's being released at a bad time though, small in the middle of some blockbuster releases with better word of mouth already...

Del Toro has joined the Guardians of the Galaxy cast, in an as yet unnamed role but is one they expect to recur given that they've given him a multi film deal.

I would say Nova... but he's too old for that, surely. Or I'm over thinking it and they've cast him as Thanos, in which case they best get the mocap suit out.

I hope not, I want it to be Wesley from Angel like at the end of Avengers Assemble!

• Like 1

Karen Gillan (the redhead that used to be in Dr Who. The one with the legs) has been added to the cast of Guardians of the Galaxy, along with John C Reilly and Glenn Close. The character that Reilly is rumoured to be playing also suggests that they might either be trying to put Nova into this film (which would make sense, he's been associated with the Guardians quite a bit in recent years, and he's also become a bizarrely popular character with kids from a few of the Marvel cartoons... but would also mean this would end up being a film with 6 major protagonists in it that we've not yet been introduced to, which sounds like a recipe for a mess) or they're looking to seed Nova in the Marvel Cinematic Universe for a coming movie with a nod to his origin. Saying that, I'd also stake a bit of money on Reilly possibly being brought in as a voice actor, despite the rumours. He makes sense for Rocket Raccoon.

More generally, the cast on the film is getting absurd, and they've not even cast a couple of the main characters yet. Looking like it's going to be a proper ensemble piece. Still on a knife edge if it's going to be good or shite, imo. Butr it's certainly going to be one of the weirdest films of next year, certainly for a blockbuster.

I can't see it being anything other than 2 words you mentioned there "mess" and "disaster". I hope I'm wrong.

Someone told me there's a Transformers 4 coming out?

Say it aint so!

Unfortunately, they are.

It has Marky Mark in it!

That's going to be truly awful

It looks TERRIBLE.

It's a strange one. Said to my mate when we were at the cinema a couple of weeks ago and the trailer was on.

He said he thought it looked really good.

My verdict was that it looks like a really good concept (I'm a sucker for disaster films. Films where the whole world is affected by something) executed poorly.

There's just something about the trailer that screams of cheesy zombie action film rather than a more gritty thriller that I think it could have been.

As I said, good concept, but looks to have been pulled off rather poorly.

It looks TERRIBLE.

It's a strange one. Said to my mate when we were at the cinema a couple of weeks ago and the trailer was on.

He said he thought it looked really good.

My verdict was that it looks like a really good concept (I'm a sucker for disaster films. Films where the whole world is affected by something) executed poorly.

There's just something about the trailer that screams of cheesy zombie action film rather than a more gritty thriller that I think it could have been.

As I said, good concept, but looks to have been pulled off rather poorly.

Must have been made by my ex then.

Just saw behind enemy lines... Thought it was going to be ok, but my god do they take thing too far.. It's just impossible that he would survive.. Should've known with Owen Wilson that it would be turd

I thought it was a decent flick 

Just saw behind enemy lines... Thought it was going to be ok, but my god do they take thing too far.. It's just impossible that he would survive.. Should've known with Owen Wilson that it would be turd

I thought it was a decent flick

Maybe turd was an overreaction.. Some of the film was decent and easy watching. I just found that the amount of easy shots the opposition had on him and still only clipped his arm was beyond reasonable. I know that obviously they are going to keep characters alive in films, but they took it too far in my eyes.

Just watched The Hobbit on blu-ray. Some awful and ropey cgi and Martin Freemans inability to portray any kind of meaningful emotion aside I thoroughly enjoyed it. Didn't like the LOTR trilogy at all but really liked the hobbit.

A little old news but Megan Fox is going to be April O'Neil in the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie directed by Michael Bay. Not sure how to feel about that.

Just watched The Hobbit on blu-ray. Some awful and ropey cgi and Martin Freemans inability to portray any kind of meaningful emotion aside I thoroughly enjoyed it. Didn't like the LOTR trilogy at all but really liked the hobbit.

Differing opinion here, I think Freeman was probably the best performance in there. I like him.

@ Highlighted bit.. :o

Watched this last night. Directed by Jaume Balaguero who also did REC 1 + 2.

It's an absolutely brilliant psychological thriller, with an outstanding and unnerving lead performance from Lois Tosar (looking for all the world like a balding Robbie Williams). 

Highly recommended.  :thumb:

sleep-tight-movie-poster-2010-1020735230

Some reviews.

• Like 1

I'm sure it's been mentioned (I hope it has) just watched The Raid. If you like awesome fight scenes with a tolerable plot to back it up then watch it. Actually, the fight scenes alone are more than worth it. I want to go fight crime now. I need to fight someone..... Poor brumerican

I'm sure it's been mentioned (I hope it has) just watched The Raid. If you like awesome fight scenes with a tolerable plot to back it up then watch it. Actually, the fight scenes alone are more than worth it. I want to go fight crime now. I need to fight someone..... Poor brumerican

Have you seen the latest Judge Dredd film?

Â