The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Completely off topic, but I always used to laugh at WWF calling Mark Henry "The World's Strongest Man" when his only claim to that was coming like 23rd in the olympics or whatever.

But then I googled him recently. He genuinely did have legitimate claims to being the strongest man in the world. Some of his powerlifting totals are incredible.

Watched Julia's Eyes on Film Four over the weekend - another cracking Spanish chiller about a woman who investigates her sister's suicide believing someone else was involved, whilst her eyesight diminishes. (it's better than I've put it!!!!)

No doubt, it'll be repeated on Film Four so would recommend recording it!

Yeah, great movie.

Also Belén Rueda :wub:

• Like 1

Got round to watching Dredd last night...meh.

The whole good guys versus bad guys was done so  much better in Die Hard in all honesty. The Psychic girl suddenly lost her powers just at the time when the prisoner tried his move and the whole Gatling gun scene was bloody ridiculous.   4/10

I foolishly went to see 'Welcome to the Punch' last weekend, While it does look very nice, the film as a whole was pretty poor. I would save your money on that one...

'Oz The Great and Powerful' on the other hand was pretty entertaining. I went to see that at the IMAX in 3D. Now I'm still one of those people that believe 3D is just a gimmick but I thought it worked pretty well in this film. It was just an entertaining ride that any age can enjoy. Plus there are plenty of lovely ladies to look at throughout.

'Stoker' is another one I've seen lately, directed by Chan-wook Park of 'Oldboy' and 'Lady Vengeance' fame. The film is very weird to say the least (as you would probably expect) and very gruesome. It's stunning though and is probably one of the best films I've seen at the cinema recently. Wasikowska plays her role to perfection and Matthew Goode is very good (too tempting). I can see why people have said there is a Hitchcock influence as the tension and music in this film really are perfect for the most part.

On upcoming films I've already got my ticket booked for 'Iron Man' in the IMAX on the 25th of April and can't wait. Plus I managed to get a preview ticket for Gosling's next outing in 'The Place Beyond the Pines' on the 8th of April. Really lookinbg forward to seeing them both.

Edited by briggaman

Really looking forward to that too.

The Place Beyond the Pines, I mean. Not Ironman.

I'm still trying to find a cinema showing Broken. Kinda weird that nowhere is showing it.

Watched Argo, found it to be okish, interesting yes but some of the acting was poor and I hate embellishment in true stories just to make it seem more dramatic. That said I watched Bernie and really enjoyed that so maybe I do like embellishment.

Also watched Safety not guaranteed, which considering a perhaps overly daft an ending is really enjoyable and has that feel good factor

Re-watched Brokeback Mountain last night. I honestly don't think there has been a better shot film in recent memory. It is a great film all round, but the cinematography really is something to behold.

all i remember about that film is that 2 blokes spent most of the film sitting around eating beans.

• Like 1

Re-watched Brokeback Mountain last night. I honestly don't think there has been a better shot film in recent memory. It is a great film all round, but the cinematography really is something to behold.

all i remember about that film is that 2 blokes spent most of the film sitting around eating beans.

...and bumming.

Got "The Master" on Lovefilm, looking forward to watching it tonight

Saw "The Bay" the other day directed by Barry Levinson

pretty squirmy stuff and guresome in places, not scary though and I'm a big fan of the found footage films when they are done well

decent premise and after you just feel it was a missed opportunity

its only 75 mins long so it's worth a watch i guess

Finally saw 'The Master'.

It is outstanding.

Watch it.

Couldn't agree more. I finally got round to seeing it on Wednesday and it really was excellent. Think I've watched 9 different movies in the last week and this one is definitely one of he best of the recent films I've seen.

Â