The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

20 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Temple of Doom is the best Indiana Jones. 

No way! Sean Connery rules all. What a pairing.

We have a rule in our house, the two newest Indy movies don't count. We never speak of them.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Xela said:

They need the Bourne trilogy on that chart. Three fantastic films. 

Watched the 4th yesterday. They shouldn't have bothered. Trilogy was perfect for me.

Edited by NoelVilla

Nah they're horribly overrated, not sure if it's because they were better than bond at the time so got a ton of hype

Once you've seen a video explaining how bad the editing is on the fight scenes you'll know what I mean, hugely influential too, way too many films and directors have followed that bullshit 

16 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Once you've seen a video explaining how bad the editing is on the fight scenes you'll know what I mean

Well, they're not for me, but if I enjoy a film, I can't see the point of watching a video that tells me why I shouldn't. 

• Like 1

I love the Dark Knight but appreciate the various videos that have pointed out the things that are rubbish about it, like the ones that have explained how it messes up fundamental rules and conventions in some scenes that make those scenes muddled and confusing, most notably the 'chase' scene which when watching without that knowledge just feels 'off' some how but when explained why you can see it's a bit of a hash.

Still a great movie but it's nice to learn where it's filmmaking falls down.

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Well, they're not for me, but if I enjoy a film, I can't see the point of watching a video that tells me why I shouldn't. 

I found during a youtube dive, probably from watching a video on bohemian rhapsody which to me had some of the worst editing I'd ever seen yet somehow won an oscar

I've never thought the bourne films were anything more than a 7/10 and that they missed something from James Bond (helped by the fact that brosnans bond films are laughably bad) the quick editing in the fight scenes is a big part of that, I can imagine a fair few people liking the films for that very reason when it's one of the big reasons I actually don't like them 

Edit - that's the BR scene, it's so bad 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I think the problem with the "family-friendly" films which are usually broadcast on Christmas day, is that they absorb you on first viewing but reveal their glaring faults on the second.

This seems particularly true of Spielberg, although Duel still retains its tension.

The arty foreign stuff they used to show on Boxing Day is far more impactful, like: Babbette's Feast and Jean de Florette.

• Like 1

Much in the same vein of watching a YouTube video dissecting a scene, sometimes I’ll listen to a film podcast and they’ll say that a particular film is good but it doesn’t do X. And it will resonate with me as I’ll have always had the sense something isn’t quite right but not been able to determine what it is.

Regarding the bourne franchise, my favourite of the by some distance is the first one. Which when considering the series is so intrinsically linked to Paul Greengrass, is a little bit of an outlier.

Not seen this though, so maybe this is the superior film.

IMG_0740.jpeg.3e7c716662b3bb24cfecd8967d869845.jpeg

Edited by Mark Albrighton

10 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I found during a youtube dive, probably from watching a video on bohemian rhapsody which to me had some of the worst editing I'd ever seen yet somehow won an oscar

I've never thought the bourne films were anything more than a 7/10 and that they missed something from James Bond (helped by the fact that brosnans bond films are laughably bad) the quick editing in the fight scenes is a big part of that, I can imagine a fair few people liking the films for that very reason when it's one of the big reasons I actually don't like them 

Edit - that's the BR scene, it's so bad 

This and that clip of Liam Neeson in whatever film it was where he vaults over one fence in fifteen cuts always raises a chuckle.  The fact the above won an award probably makes it the more egregious of the two.

For posterity:

Kevin Dunn would be proud.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Pongo Waring said:

Saltburn is the perfect family Christmas day movie😂

Anyone seen it? 

watched last night. something different at least!

but agree - perfect family viewing.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

watched last night. something different at least!

but agree - perfect family viewing.

I couldn't believe what I was watching😂  gonna take a few weeks to process. 

Surely the best actor oscar in that bag for the lead. One of the best actors of his generation. 

• Like 1

Just got around to the new Indiana jones. The good: it’s better than kingdom but not by much. It has some of the best de-aging I think I’ve ever seen in the opening. The opening was the best bit of the film. Mads mikkelson does a villain really well.

The bad: what a batshit crazy final 30 minutes. Entertaining, but batshit. Too much CGI (again). Massive plot holes. Phoebe Waller-bridge being super annoying in pretty much every scene she’s in. Needs more Karen Allen to give the film more heart.

• Like 2

Â