The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I saw this online and thought i’d post it here. I haven’t seen enough of the films to really have a view but might be interesting for others 🤷‍♂️ 

IMG-3354.jpg

Initial thoughts.

There needs to be an obvious step up from Indiana Jones 2 to 3.

Jurassic Park 1 needs to be much higher.

Die Hard - see Indiana Jones note.

Godfather 3 is not that bad.

”Batman” I assume is the Dark Knight trilogy. In which case 2>1.

Can we really call Alien a trilogy?

But otherwise, as above, like the simplicity of the representation.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

This passed me by

I liked the last Ghostbusters film so nothing has put me off seeing this.

Already been posted but yeah, looks promising (I thought the last one was good too) 👍 

14 hours ago, Genie said:

I saw this online and thought i’d post it here. I haven’t seen enough of the films to really have a view but might be interesting for others 🤷‍♂️ 

IMG-3354.jpg

- Star Wars fair. But big disagree on Indy, 2 is a big drop off from 1 but 3 is as good as 1.

- Matrix Reloaded I'd have a tad higher but fair overall 

- is that the new Star Trek or the old one? If new then 1 and 3 are excellent and 2 is mid. If old 1 is crap and 2 is amazing, 3 mid.

- Superman 3 should be a tiny bit higher but fair overall 

- Jurassic Park 1 should be near the top of the bar if not full. Fair otherwise 

- Next 3 totally fine.

- Mad Max 1 is better than 3. 

- Jaws fair. BTTF should be a drop off from 2.

- Die Hard 2 should be lower.

- Blade fair. POTA I feel are more even with maybe 3 being weaker.

- Godfather fair. Rocky 1 is miles better than 2 or 3 which are subpar

- T1 should be higher. Great film and close to T2 but T2 is better. T3 better than rating.

- Rambo fair but would have 1 higher rated.

- Confused on Batman. If that's Nolan that's hideous rating as 2 would be full bar with 1 really good and 3 subpar. If that's Keaton/Kilmer then first should be higher as should the second. 

- Alien fair. Alien and Aliens are two different films and I have more fun with Aliens but Alien is one of THE horror films of the 20th century 

Can't remember if I'd put any of them in but I've been burning through some random films on Prime.

- Sum of All Fears - 6/10. Solid Jack Ryan film with some fun chemistry between Affleck and Freeman. Still don't know how Affleck talks the President down after Baltimore gets nuked but hey ho

- 3.10 to Yuma - 9.5/10. Great film that feels like it takes its time and flies by with brilliant turns from Bale and Crowe. And a scintillating Ben Foster solidifying himself as one of the great underrated actors of our time.

- Rollerball - 7.5/10. Still not sure how the hell the sport makes sense or why the big corporations can't just kill off Jimmy Caan outside the arena instead but a fun dystopian one which again flies by quite quickly 

- Aliens (dvd) - 9/10 James Cameron is good isn't he? Makes you wish he'd go back to wells like this rather than arsing around with Avatar sequels. 

- Manchurian Candidate (remake) - 7/10 always risky when you remake a classic but a solid film with Denzel and Liev Schreiber leading the way. Some actors about to make a mainstream breakthrough in this too - Anthony Mackie and Jeffrey Wright jump to mind. Interesting to set against the Gulf War this time too (which makes it feel slightly out of time again)

• Like 1

As expected Rebel Moon was pretty meh. Didn't hate it but it wasn't anything special. Similar level as John Carter or Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets. Worse than Serenity but better than Jupiter Ascending. Or something.

A 5.5- 6/10 maybe with the usual slow-mo fights, shirtless hunks with oiled abs that you always get from Snyder and with a bombastic soundtrack that tries to make a basic story epic. Space Nazis are bad.

On 20/12/2023 at 11:46, theunderstudy said:

3.10 to Yuma - 9.5/10. Great film that feels like it takes its time and flies by with brilliant turns from Bale and Crowe. And a scintillating Ben Foster solidifying himself as one of the great underrated actors of our time.

Not a patch on the original. 

3 hours ago, sne said:

As expected Rebel Moon was pretty meh. Didn't hate it but it wasn't anything special. Similar level as John Carter or Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets. Worse than Serenity but better than Jupiter Ascending. Or something.

A 5.5- 6/10 maybe with the usual slow-mo fights, shirtless hunks with oiled abs that you always get from Snyder and with a bombastic soundtrack that tries to make a basic story epic. Space Nazis are bad.

Was thinking of throwing it on, but not sure I can be bothered. I generally quite like Snyder, but his Justice League and zombie flick are historic levels of awful.

3 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Was thinking of throwing it on, but not sure I can be bothered. I generally quite like Snyder, but his Justice League and zombie flick are historic levels of awful.

I'd say it's a lot better than that zombie flick at least but I wouldn't say I'm looking forward to part 2.

Unsurprisingly, Alien³ getting less than it actually deserves there. And I think it's only fair to judge it on the superior Assembly Cut, because I bet pound to a penny that that Aliens rating is based on the Director's Cut, otherwise you're losing enough of the better moments (sentry guns, Ripley's daughter) that there's no way it could be better than Alien. It should be Alien and Aliens equal full bars and Alien³ a half-bar.

• Like 2

Â