The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Maybe one for the piss you off thread but I loved the Edward Woodward TV series when I was a kid so I have zero interest in watching a movie spin off.

Why don't they just leave things alone?

(Now I google and it appears there's a newer series with Queen Latifah FFS - can't someone have an original idea)

• Like 1

Finally got around to watching Evil Dead: Rise on Saturday night, very good indeed!

Very narrow focused story which helps and both the direction and acting is above average for the genre. Few nods to the originals and a few ideas borrowed from more recent films.

8/10 for me.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Maybe one for the piss you off thread but I loved the Edward Woodward TV series when I was a kid so I have zero interest in watching a movie spin off.

When they were casting for that, one of the producers said they thought no British actor would be capable of carrying off the lead role. But his assistant said "Oh, I think Edward Woodward would". 

I'm here all week. Unfortunately. 

• Like 2

Operation Fortune : Ruse de Guerre.  The Guy Ritchie film, Hugh Grant was good as a Cockney villain (no surprise there) and Jason Statham did what he does in every film. It was OK, just felt like GR has run out of ideas and I was watching some generic violent movie.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, luckyeddie said:

Operation Fortune : Ruse de Guerre.  The Guy Ritchie film, Hugh Grant was good as a Cockney villain (no surprise there) and Jason Statham did what he does in every film. It was OK, just felt like GR has run out of ideas and I was watching some generic violent movie.

In all fairness, I thought the Covenant was excellent

• Like 3

MV5BMDFkYmQ5MjMtZjY5ZS00MWFjLTlkM2MtODk1

Star Spangled to Death (Ken Jacobs)
An examination of the history of the U.S. through archival footage and contrasting views of society, incorporating audiovisual material ranging from political campaign films to animated cartoons to children’s phonograph records, featuring Al Jolson, Mickey Mouse, the young Jack Smith, and a half-dozen American presidents.
Very good, I enjoyed it a great deal

17 hours ago, useless said:

MV5BMDFkYmQ5MjMtZjY5ZS00MWFjLTlkM2MtODk1

Star Spangled to Death (Ken Jacobs)
An examination of the history of the U.S. through archival footage and contrasting views of society, incorporating audiovisual material ranging from political campaign films to animated cartoons to children’s phonograph records, featuring Al Jolson, Mickey Mouse, the young Jack Smith, and a half-dozen American presidents.
Very good, I enjoyed it a great deal

Where'd you find this? Meant to watch it back when it came out but had forgotten all about it.

spacer.png

Superb and very hard hitting drama, based around the true story of Paul Connolly who along with many others suffered horrific abuse at St Leonards Children's home in the 70s.

A difficult watch at times, but a brilliant film nonetheless,  anchored by a terrific performance from Michael Socha (This is England, The Gallows Pole).

• Like 1

image.jpeg.f83f2908e66957dc407d9befd9ea8036.jpeg

off to see this later. 

Apparently, if he’s quite an accomplished crime drama rather than usual footsoldier fare.

Not sure if I’m keen on the idea but hopefully enough to keep fans of the original formula happy whilst attracting a new audience. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 11/09/2023 at 17:27, Follyfoot said:

In all fairness, I thought the Covenant was excellent

I really like The Gentleman, too. By some distance the best I've seen Charlie Hunnam act, mainly cos he's using his own accent.

On 06/09/2023 at 13:48, Designer1 said:

spacer.png

Decent bit of daftness.

Denzel as watchable as ever, plenty of bone crunching OTT violence and entertaining enough. Better than the first one but I think two was definitely the strongest of the three.

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Anyone seen equaliser 3 yet? I really wanna see it

Edited by Designer1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

image.jpeg.f83f2908e66957dc407d9befd9ea8036.jpeg

off to see this later. 

Apparently, if he’s quite an accomplished crime drama rather than usual footsoldier fare.

Not sure if I’m keen on the idea but hopefully enough to keep fans of the original formula happy whilst attracting a new audience. 

Very good film, and I’m not being sarcastic.

It is  a decent crime thriller, a bit more Get Carter than ROTFS but plenty to keep the diehard fans happy.

To nonfans of the franchise I would give this a go at it feels and looks and plays a little differently 

1 hour ago, Follyfoot said:

Very good film, and I’m not being sarcastic.

It is  a decent crime thriller, a bit more Get Carter than ROTFS but plenty to keep the diehard fans happy.

To nonfans of the franchise I would give this a go at it feels and looks and plays a little differently 

Serious question, when you say you’re going to see it, are you saying its playing in a cinema, or are you saying you know they have the dvd down the petrol station?

I’m not a big movie watcher, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen an advert for one of these around a ‘normal’ cinema. But hands up, I’m really not there very often.

I’ve got a couple of these as stocking filler presents over the years, they can vary somewhat in depth of characterisation etc..

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Serious question, when you say you’re going to see it, are you saying its playing in a cinema, or are you saying you know they have the dvd down the petrol station?

I’m not a big movie watcher, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen an advert for one of these around a ‘normal’ cinema. But hands up, I’m really not there very often.

I’ve got a couple of these as stocking filler presents over the years, they can vary somewhat in depth of characterisation etc..

It was on at my local cinemas this week Chris.

They have quite the cult following so still do pretty good numbers.

It's also reviewed pretty well (they usually get panned).

I had a chat with the director of the original film many years ago. Decent bloke tbh.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 3

Â