The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Source Code; worth a trip to the cinema?

No, it's rubbish

The ending is absolutely horrible to watch, nevertheless quite brilliant though.

Horrible?? It's hilarious!

ASS TO ASS, ASS TO ASS, ASS TO ASS

Rubbish?! Hardly...

It's a pretty decent film despite some flaws along the way.

Watched Requiem For A Dream for the first time the other day... all I can say is, wow.

It's like Trainspotting (obviously) but without the "aren't ya jus' proud ta be Scorttesh?!" moments. If you ever want your kids to fear the dangers of drugs, make them watch it. Or watch it yourself of course if you haven't... just don't listen to Joy Division for a few days afterwards.

The ending is absolutely horrible to watch, nevertheless quite brilliant though.

Exceptional movie, I thought Black Swan was going to be darker from what I'd heard and that's why it was a let down for me. Not a patch on Requiem.

Cue Stevo

Source Code; worth a trip to the cinema?

No, it's rubbish

Rubbish?! Hardly...

It's a pretty decent film despite some flaws along the way.

I thought there may have been a little more to it than just a mix of Quantum Leap and The Matrix, but there isn't. The two lead characters weren't endearing enough to make you care about the love story which became mind numbing, I didn't really care for the euthanasia angle in the story towards the end or the guy contacting his father, and the 'twist' (I use the term very lightly) was a terrible anti-climax.

It was shot well though considering the majority is on the train (why don't we have double-decker trains here?), and the performances were ok save for maybe the military women and the professor bloke who was about as wooden as my dining table. A 4 pushing a 5/10 for me, average at best. Admittedly I probably set my expectations a little high though, thanks to Moon, so came away feeling incredibly underwhelmed.

Watched Requiem For A Dream for the first time the other day... all I can say is, wow.

It's like Trainspotting (obviously) but without the "aren't ya jus' proud ta be Scorttesh?!" moments. If you ever want your kids to fear the dangers of drugs, make them watch it. Or watch it yourself of course if you haven't... just don't listen to Joy Division for a few days afterwards.

Exceptional movie, I thought Black Swan was going to be darker from what I'd heard and that's why it was a let down for me. Not a patch on Requiem.

Cue Stevo

Eh?

:(

Nothing, it's just you always seem to be singing the praises of Black Swan in here ^^

Not surprising for anyone to be saying good things about it to be honest, considering the fact that it is such a well directed film. I still think Aronofsky should have won an Oscar for it.

Robert Altman's 'Short Cuts' is just fantastic. Always moves me incredibly.

Kieslowski's Three Colours series is, to my mind, possibly cinema's greatest tour de force – ever. (Three movies: Three Colours Red, Three Colours White, Three Colours Blue.)

Thor, I mean c'mon.

Have you seen Thor?

No, but I know I won't like it.

As I said, it is scraping the bottom of the comic book barrel.

That doesn't make any sense to me.

Thor has plenty of people saying its pretty decent, but you wont watch it because you know you wont like it even though you've never seen it?

Without meaning to be rude thats very snobby.

I thought Thor looked like Flash Gordon and completely naff from the trailers, but as i say has had some good write ups so might be worth a watch.

Its like walking out on films dont get that either, might be awesome on from when you left for example.

Its not like a rom-com with i dunno Hugh Grant in it where you know what your going to get.

Thor is an independent film on its own merit, your hanging it because its based on a comic.

Robert Altman's 'Short Cuts' is just fantastic. Always moves me incredibly.

Kieslowski's Three Colours series is, to my mind, possibly cinema's greatest tour de force – ever. (Three movies: Three Colours Red, Three Colours White, Three Colours Blue.)

All excellent choices sir.

I only watched Short Cuts again recently and of all the 'montaged lives' movies I think it's the strongest.

I thought iron man/im2 were pretty good films, certainly better than most of the other comic book films and pretty decent in their own right.

Anyway, saw 'the men who stare at goats' last night, while i enjoyed aspects of it, i felt it never quite knew where it was going and wasnt as good or as funny as its trying to be.

I have a choice of a few films to watch next, 'where the wild things are', 'zodiac' or 'in the loop'. Which one first guys?

Yeh man. Bleu is one of my absolute favourites, along with Lily Chou Chou, Enter the Void and Pierrot le Fou. Bleu in particular is a film I can go back to and watch at any time, no matter my mood.

I haven't seen plenty of movies that I know I wont like. For example horror just plain doesn't do it for me, so even if the horror movie is good I still won't like it because I don't like horror movies.

Same as Superhero movies, they just don't do it for me. So I haven't seen Thor, I won't pay to see it because I've no interest in seeing it. The comic book was hardly a best seller hence this is scraping of the barrel.

If my favourite movies list has 12 Angry Men, Mulholland Drive and The New World in it you can see why my taste in movies is totally different. I don't really mind that I'm a bit of a movie snob.

Â