The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

24 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

What's the time line in this? Isn't Wolverine meant to be really old? How can professor X be alive but others gone?

DOFP reconned the original 3 movies so they no longer happened. This is set after the epilogue in DOFP. No idea how long after. And no idea why Xavier is OK but other mutants aren't. Probably best not to worry about it.

Logan is old, he ages slower than other people. The story of the movie concerns his powers fading and failing so that may explain his sudden aging. Xavier though, no idea.

2 minutes ago, Chindie said:

DOFP reconned the original 3 movies so they no longer happened. This is set after the epilogue in DOFP. No idea how long after. And no idea why Xavier is OK but other mutants aren't. Probably best not to worry about it.

Logan is old, he ages slower than other people. The story of the movie concerns his powers fading and failing so that may explain his sudden aging. Xavier though, no idea.

I get about dofp, but at the end of that all the mutants were alive. If it's meant to be considerably after that Dr X would long have died of old age, with the others still there. Unless there had been some war we do t know about, but you'd think there would be a film in that.

9 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

I get about dofp, but at the end of that all the mutants were alive. If it's meant to be considerably after that Dr X would long have died of old age, with the others still there. Unless there had been some war we do t know about, but you'd think there would be a film in that.

I don't think it's meant to be that long after DOFP, only a few years. Presumably either they've been exterminated or the mutation has slowly killed most of them off, I'd guess.

Saying that, the timelines never really work. They don't in the MCU and they don't in the Xmen series. Best to think of this as a weird alternative future I think until it's shown otherwise.

• Like 1

Old man logan comic spoiler - 

Spoiler

wolverine kills all the xmen after being tricked hence why he's a broken man

Logan film villain spoiler - 

Spoiler

him from narcos is playing donald pierce who is the head of the reavers, they are a gang of cyborg mercenaries who kill mutants

they can choose either one to explain where everyone is, as for the age of professor x, dont know, depends how many years after they're trying to say it is, it looks like a desolate futuristic wasteland set 50 years from now, in reality its probably just some backwater part of america...

I'd be surprised if they adapted Old Man Logan that faithfully. It'd be an awesome revelation if they did, though perhaps awkward to pitch correctly. It makes more sense for the comic Logan but the movie version really hasn't ever shown that kind of thing.

But it would be an excellent/interesting way to bow out.

i dont think they have the villain in place to do it or the screen time so they'll either go with option 2 which when you look at what they've done in previous films is going to elevate the new villains to a higher level than is maybe believable or they'll put a timeline on it which means its age which creates the plot hole with professor x

That's part of the problem I'd agree. There's no reason they can't switch that character for a mutant that does the same thing, but they aren't going to do that, and set up the Reavers, and set up Mr Sinister, and Caliban, and whatever is going with Xavier, and the girl

Spoiler

who is obviously X23 and the story is going to deal with her origin etc

Cut the fat and fudge either a back story plot point ('it's like this, OK?!') or tie it into the story you have there already. Which also makes your new villains more of a threat, if not an entirely credible one on paper.

Still. Potential for a bloody good movie.

8 hours ago, Chindie said:

I'd be surprised if they adapted Old Man Logan that faithfully. It'd be an awesome revelation if they did, though perhaps awkward to pitch correctly. It makes more sense for the comic Logan but the movie version really hasn't ever shown that kind of thing.

But it would be an excellent/interesting way to bow out.

I don't think Fox have the marvel rights adapt it that faithfully. They couldn't use half the characters.

5 minutes ago, jon_c said:

I don't think Fox have the marvel rights adapt it that faithfully. They couldn't use half the characters.

Oh absolutely they can't do a faithful adaptation of the story as a whole - they'd need dozens of characters they can't use.

I meant I'd be surprised if they adapted that specific element of the story faithfully. They could do it - they'd need to either dig out a mutant with very specific abilities to replace that other character they can't use that is the driving force behind that moment, or perhaps 

Spoiler

use Xavier

But I don't think they will, there's to much going on already and they've got ready made replacements that are less narratively messy already there. At most

Spoiler

I could see them perhaps have Wolverine kill 1 familiar friendly face in a mindless rage, but it's kinda hard to sell him as a hero when he slaughters everyone. It also would seem odd to kill off all the mutants and just so happen to have Wolverine kill the Xmen by accident.

Still I never thought we'd see an Xmen movie, let alone a Wolverine movie, that looks that interesting.

Watched Warcraft in 4K last night. I don't get why so many hated it. For what it was and what it was trying to lay down as an origin story I felt it achieved it, I was surprised at just how much I enjoyed it. Effects were lovely too. Not mind blowing by any means but very enjoyable. 7.5/10.

11 hours ago, darrenm said:

Rewatched Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

Utterly brilliant still

I've watched that once whilst pissed.  Yep, not a bleedin' clue.  I need to go back to it :)

Â