The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Saw Project Almanac tonight as my friend wanted to see it and I had nothing better to do.

It was okay, enjoyable enough. Bloody 'found footage' (well, not really found, just made to look like it's been recorded entirely on a camcorder) movies on the big screen are a bit uncomfortable to watch. Gave me a bit of a headache, but people we walking out saying they felt nauseous so I guess I got away lightly.

But yeah, an okay film.

Chronicle was ok, have you seen that?

Anyone seen Primer? Good? Do I need a degree in mathematical engineering to understand it?! 

It's decent. Not great though and I found it a bit dull.

I found it tried to be a lot more complicated than it really is.

• Like 1

Watched two tonight:

Grand Budapest Hotel - very enjoyable, quirky and funny. Ralph Fiennes was fantastic, the lad playing the Lobby Boy... not so much, he was a bit wooden, but they worked well together so maybe I'm being a bit harsh. Definitely understand now why it's received all the praise and attention. I was concerned it might be a case of aesthetics and style over substance but I really enjoyed it.

And I've just finished watching Nightcrawler, which was bloody fantastic. I really like these dark, stylised films. Very much in the same vein as Drive for me which I loved, I think both films have definitely got an 80s gritty vibe to them. Gyllenhaal was fantastic, I think he's quite underrated as an actor. It was incredibly tense throughout though I'm not sure about the ending so much...

I think I was building it up to be a more traditional Hollywood ending where he'd get his comeuppance, but I suppose on reflection that would have been a bit corny and cliché. Alternatively, if he would have made some sort of big realisation about the way he thought, or the value he placed on success versus human life and other people then it might have been detrimental to his entire character that had been built up so nicely. Perhaps it ended the best way it could have, I just thought it lacked a certain something.

Edited by Ginko

Watched The Babadook last night. It wasn't quite what I was expecting and I wouldn't really class it as a horror/scary film but I thought it was fantastic.

• Like 1

Attack Force  (2006)

I must have watched around half a dozen films starring Steven Seagal over the years and they seem to be decent or poor.This one in my opinion comes into the latter .A 5/10

Anyone seen Primer? Good? Do I need a degree in mathematical engineering to understand it?!

I think its excellent

You won't understand it. Seriously, you won't. Its the only film I've watched twice and been more confused the second time I saw it.

It's very good though.

It's decent. Not great though and I found it a bit dull.

I found it tried to be a lot more complicated than it really is.

Got halfway through, turned it off. Just dull. 

I think its excellent

You won't understand it. Seriously, you won't. Its the only film I've watched twice and been more confused the second time I saw it.

It's very good though.

Maybe I need to give it another chance! Don't think I was in the mood to concentrate on anything!  :D

It is very confusing to be fair. I think you have to just accept you won't understand it and try to enjoy it.

Can understand people finding it dull though. But I think its great

Â