The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

bad neighbours, pretty disappointed, not very funny, or very anything to be honest, it didnt go deep in to the couples insecurities about wanting to be young (which is probably a good thing) but spent a lot of time skirting round it, same with the students insecurities about getting old, the supposed them vs us practical jokes stuff didnt go very far, the student party stuff has been done a lot better in films like project x, it was all a bit pointless

Got about 25 mins into it before I turned it off. So bad it was painful. 

I watched an old film with Sissy Spacek, called '3 Women'. I thought It was a really good,would recommend it, seen a few comparisons to 'Mulholland Drive' and 'Persona', shifting personalities and stuff.

Edited by useless

Cake - it's not a made up drug - but it is really worth watching. Jennifer Aniston chucking in a surprisingly excellent performance, a bit like when JIm Carey surprised people with Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Very focused and intense, moving film. Thumbs up all round for everyone else in the film too, dialogue is balanced nicely and never threatens to go all Disney on you with drama of the central character's fight.

• Like 1

Just watched Locke on Netflix. I haven't heard many on-screen accents worse than Tom Hardy's attempt at a Welsh one. Did nobody at any point during the film's production notice just how shit it was? It was like he was doing a really, really bad Anthony Hopkins impression. I thought that pretty much all of the people he was speaking to on the phone delivered their lines pretty poorly too - they didn't sound natural or believable and the football talk was cringeworthy. 

That said, I was quite gripped (considering it was film largely about concrete) and admired the idea if not necessarily the execution.

The worst thing about the accent is it added absolutely nothing to the film, why give him an accent at all?

Agree about the phone actors, IMO some of them (not all) are awful

Then you add in that from my 10 years in construction management the majority of the concrete stuff was bollocks

It just really didn't work for me

Saw Project Almanac tonight as my friend wanted to see it and I had nothing better to do.

It was okay, enjoyable enough. Bloody 'found footage' (well, not really found, just made to look like it's been recorded entirely on a camcorder) movies on the big screen are a bit uncomfortable to watch. Gave me a bit of a headache, but people we walking out saying they felt nauseous so I guess I got away lightly.

But yeah, an okay film.

He's driving from Birmingham to London isn't he?!

Glad it wasn't just me then... I've heard that it's quite highly regarded. Wanted to love it. Didn't. If it wasn't for the fact that it was quite a novel idea, I probably would've thought that it was shit. 

Â