Pros

- Well paced.

- Sounds great.

- Looks great.

- Monsters suitably menacing.

- Ken Watanabe

- Good Monster fight.

- No cheesy wisecracks

- Generally does everything a monster movie should.

Cons

- Criminal underuse of 1) Juliette Binoche and 2) Elizabeth Olsen

- Beefcake Military Man to the rescue is tedious. Especially when all wife does is cry and look worried. Stop it, Hollywood.

- Allusions to Spielberg films only serve to highlight the biggest flaw - the characters are dull. Spielberg films hinge on good characters, not the spectacle.

- Not enough threat. What I mean is, there was never a moment in which I felt anything could happen. It was predictable, especially when Godzilla's motivations were clear.

6/10.

• Like 1

If you like the usual superhero movie stuff then sure, but it's not a particularly great movie.

Then again, it has Jennifer Lawrence in it, so surely that's all the reason you need?

Godzilla.

Pros

- Well paced.

- Sounds great.

- Looks great.

- Monsters suitably menacing.

- Ken Watanabe

- Good Monster fight.

- No cheesy wisecracks

- Generally does everything a monster movie should.

Cons

- Criminal underuse of 1) Juliette Binoche and 2) Elizabeth Olsen

- Beefcake Military Man to the rescue is tedious. Especially when all wife does is cry and look worried. Stop it, Hollywood.

- Allusions to Spielberg films only serve to highlight the biggest flaw - the characters are dull. Spielberg films hinge on good characters, not the spectacle.

- Not enough threat. What I mean is, there was never a moment in which I felt anything could happen. It was predictable, especially when Godzilla's motivations were clear.

6/10.

Sounds like the massive Hollywood blockbuster nobody wanted it to be.

I don't care what CarewsEyebrowDesigner thinks, I want the full opinion of a true devotee to the Godzilla hype machine.

Someone.

Just, someone like samjp26.

Speaking of movie reviews, where is my favourite VT movie reviewer? Where is chindie?

Watched The Call last night, starring Halle Berry - a decent low budget, paint-by-numbers thriller surrounding a 911 call handler who is mentally scarred after failing to save a young girl being murdered.

It's not going to change the world or film making in general but it was decent enough! 6/10 (Pooligan would score this a 9!)

• Like 1

Is 'X-Men: First Class' worth watching?

On Channel 4 tonight.

I watched this last night and it wasnt as good as I remembered it being. For some reason I thought it had been a lot tighter.

Still Mc Avoy and Fassbender are good, in fact their relationship carries it to being a much better film than it should have been.

I don't care what CarewsEyebrowDesigner thinks, I want the full opinion of a true devotee to the Godzilla hype machine.

Someone.

Speaking of movie reviews, where is my favourite VT movie reviewer? Where is chindie?

I'm going to see Godzilla in an hour. I'll get back to you.

Someone.

It was predictable in aspects, definitely, but to be honest I always predicted that:

Godzilla would **** shit up

In fact, I wanted that to happen, I would have been pissed off if it didn't happen.

It is a blockbuster movie, but again in my opinion it should be. Not in a Michael Bay lens flare extravaganza way but in a fanatastically scored, loud, big way with:

Godzilla **** shit up.

For me, it did what I wanted it to do. The CGI was good, the score and sound editing were excellent (probably one of the best parts of the movie from a technical aspect), it was well paced and provided enough monster mashing whilst also giving a human element still.

I think its one of those movies where you're going to either love it, or think its average. You won't hate it. I loved it.

Sounds like the massive Hollywood blockbuster nobody wanted it to be.

It's better than most but it lacks the intelligence behind the original, and having the obligatory 'human element' only works if the humans are in any way interesting, but they aren't.

In terms of humans, what happened after about half an hour really annoyed me. 

My biggest problem with Godzilla was that it was unnecessarily long. They tried to hard to put off the big monster fight to focus on the human characters but they weren't really interesting. If they had just had the big fight as soon as the monsters met and had the movie down to 90 minutes it would have been a much better movie.

Plot spoiler:

I don'r understand why Bryan Cranston's character was killed the way he was, it really lacked drama.

My biggest problem with Godzilla was that it was unnecessarily long. They tried to hard to put off the big monster fight to focus on the human characters but they weren't really interesting. If they had just had the big fight as soon as the monsters met and had the movie down to 90 minutes it would have been a much better movie.

Plot spoiler:

I don'r understand why Bryan Cranston's character was killed the way he was, it really lacked drama.

and the fact that pretty much after he died, he was forgotten about, really odd.

Â