The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I've never read the book either but I feel the same way that it must be a good one. I have no doubt that just with the way it's structured (and that it's much easier to see the structure itself when it's on the page) and by the fact you will undoubtedly get more detail, that the whole thing is better as a read than a visual piece.

If the stories are A to F then the book's structure is ABCDEFEDCBA. The film chops that up and flits all over the place in an attempt, in my opinion, to make the parallels between the stories more apparent.

Yup Ash they do exist. Have a google of the science behind Gravity. I heard it getting slated when it came out initially but actually while it does take licence in some areas it is very accurate in others.

As an alternative to google just go to FAQ on IMDB.

I'm definitely going to watch Bad Santa for the first time this festive period.

You're in for a treat :lol:

I hope ender has put It's A Wonderful Life on his to-do list as promised earlier in the thread.

i had forgotten about it, but with the reminder, hopefully i will remember.

If anyone spots when its on once the xmas schedule comes out, please post it so i don't accidently miss it.

Channel 4 on the 24th @ 13.10. Sky have it On Demand and (for Irish readers) it's on RTÉ1 Christmas Day @ 07.45.

But the full thing is on YouTube anyhoo.

This weekend and coming nights I'll have a combination of The Man of Steel, Deadfall, Hummingbird and The Worlds End to watch - have high hopes for The Worlds End!

I'd temper those hopes a wee bit then.

Just seen the Transcendence trailer from Nolans mate and starring Depp. Looks truly awful. 

• Like 1

Finally got round to seeing Drive for the first time this weekend and it is magnificent. Easily one of my favourite films I've ever seen. Can't actually think of anything wrong with it, from the acting to the soundtrack, camera shots etc everything was superb. 10/10

Also saw the Hobbit part two the other night and enjoyed it sufficiently. Better than part one which suffers enormously from a very draggy opening hour. Frustrated when it ended where it did, but have no qualms about part two, enjoyed it as much as I did the lord of the rings films really. 

paul rudd has been cast as ant man

Not good.

Hmm. Looks like we're not getting the Hank Pym version then. Then again, it's Edgar Wright, we probably never were, in reality. Must admit that makes that film a curio for me rather than an integral part of the MCU.

Also saw the Hobbit:  Desolation of Smaug last night at the Giant Screen, in glorious high frame rate on a screen the size of a house.

I enjoyed it. Not perfect but it's fun, and Smaug is a truly brilliant presence realised superbly. If anything, there needed to be more - Jackson is a bit over indulgent with his action scenes and showing off, but with Smaug I'd have forgiven him for dragging it out. Shame that other scenes feel like the film wants to get rid of them - Beorn is consigned to about 3 minutes on screen (and I'm certainly not sure about the look of his human form...) sadly.

But yes, good fun - the first film's ponderous pace is binned in this film, bar a few scenes where it sags a little, this one rattles along.

HFR is still a bit weird, mind.

Â