The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Yes he was good in war games. Great film of its time!

What do you mean, "of its time"? I saw it recently and it's hardly dated at all  ;)

220px-Analogue_modem_-_acoustic_coupler.

Funny thing is, it really hasn't.

The electronics have obviously moved on but I expected to be disappointed after not watching it for a while and wasn't.

Broderick was also excellent in The Road To Wellville. Love that film.

Anyone who doubts Matthew Broderick needs to watch 'Election'.

Even if it is Reese Withoutherspoon that steals the show.

That's a great movie - that opening freeze frame of Witherspoon's face still cracks me up.

Best Picture - Drama

12 Years a Slave

Captain Phillips

Gravity

Philomena

Rush

Best Actor - Drama

Chiwetel Ejiofor, 12 Years a Slave

Idris Elba, Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom

Tom Hanks, Captain Phillips

Matthew McConaughey, Dallas Buyers Club

Robert Redford, All is Lost

Best Actress - Drama

Cate Blanchett, Blue Jasmine

Sandra Bullock, Gravity

Judi Dench, Philomena

Emma Thompson, Saving Mr. Banks

Kate Winslet, Labor Day

Best Picture - Comedy/Musical

American Hustle

Her

Inside Llewyn Davis

Nebraska

The Wolf of Wall Street

Best Actor - Comedy/Musical

Christian Bale, American Hustle

Bruce Dern, Nebraska

Leonardo DiCaprio, The Wolf of Wall Street

Oscar Isaac, Inside Llewyn Davis

Joaquin Phoenix, Her

Best Actress - Comedy/Musical

Amy Adams, American Hustle

Julie Delpy, Before Midnight

Greta Gerwig, Frances Ha

Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Enough Said

Meryl Streep, August: Osage County

Best Supporting Actor

Barkhad Abdi, Captain Phillips

Daniel Bruhl, Rush

Bradley Cooper, American Hustle

Michael Fassbender, 12 Years a Slave

Jared Leto, Dallas Buyers Club

Best Supporting Actress

Sally Hawkins, Blue Jasmine

Jennifer Lawrence, American Hustle

Lupita Nyong'o, 12 Years a Slave

Julia Roberts, August: Osage County

June Squibb, Nebraska

Best Director

Alfonso Cuaron, Gravity

Paul Greengrass, Captain Phillips

Steve McQueen, 12 Years a Slave

Alexander Payne, Nebraska

David O. Russell, American Hustle

Best Screenplay

Steve Coogan and Jeff Pope, Philomena

Spike Jonze, Her

Bob Nelson, Nebraska

John Ridley, 12 Years a Slave

Eric Singer and David O. Russell, American Hustle

Best Foreign Language Film

Blue is the Warmest Color

The Great Beauty

The Hunt

The Past

The Wind Rises

Best Animated Feature Film

The Croods

Despicable Me 2

Frozen

Best Original Score

Alex Ebert, All is Lost

Alex Heffes, Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom

Steven Price, Gravity

John Williams, The Book Thief

Hans Zimmer, 12 Years a Slave

Best Original Song

“Atlas,” The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

“Let It Go,” Frozen

“Ordinary Love,” Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom

“Please Mr. Kennedy,” Inside Llewyn Davis

“Sweeter Than Fiction,” One Chance

would like to give an opinion on who i think will win what but its shocking how many of these films haven't been released here yet, cant wait for american hustle, 12 years a slave, dallas buyers club, wolf of wall street

Just got back from the Hobbit. The first thing I thought was has PJ just turned into George Lucas?

Some parts (Smaug) were outstanding, but others (Legolas!?! The stupid love story?) were criminal. Azog as far as I remember was dead before the Hobbit, and his son Bolg was involved in the book, so why didn't they just include Bolg and not bring Azog back to life? The elves are involved in 2 chapters in the book, yet half the movie involved them, and 2 characters that have little or no involvement in the book.

This could have been an incredible movie if 1. It stuck to the original plan of having 2 movies and 2. If PJ didn't invent characters or storylines that have nothing to do with the Hobbit.

6/10

only god forgives

yeah not convinced, strange film! plenty of style over substance, awful "script" and no real story or flow to it, the thai cop and the city itself are the stars, film that anywhere else and it wouldnt work IMO but somehow it does work because the city and the cop are so cool, dont know how it got away with it because it should / could easily have been utter shit

Edited by villa4europe

Just got back from the Hobbit. The first thing I thought was has PJ just turned into George Lucas?

Some parts (Smaug) were outstanding, but others (Legolas!?! The stupid love story?) were criminal. Azog as far as I remember was dead before the Hobbit, and his son Bolg was involved in the book, so why didn't they just include Bolg and not bring Azog back to life? The elves are involved in 2 chapters in the book, yet half the movie involved them, and 2 characters that have little or no involvement in the book.

This could have been an incredible movie if 1. It stuck to the original plan of having 2 movies and 2. If PJ didn't invent characters or storylines that have nothing to do with the Hobbit.

6/10

I think that's a bit harsh. It's his interpretation, and I don't mind slight deviations (Legolas isn't too bad actually as he'll be in the Battle of Five Armies later anyway and is native to Mirkwood) as long as it's entertaining which it was. The barrel scene alone was enough to vindicate their inclusion for me.

6/10

Who cares about it not being totally 'faithful' to the original book. The Lord of the Rings wasn't but yet was one of the greatest trilogy's ever made. The Hobbit book imo is unbearable at times anyway. Pages and pages and PAGES of those stupid annoying dwarf songs. Tedious.

I watched it last night and loved it. Better and more action packed then the first. Not on the level of the LOTR films but they never were going to be. Didn't like the love story either but the scenes with Smaug were breathtaking. 8 out of 10

I went to see the second installment of the Hobbit yesterday and I loved it. The love triangle thingy with Kili/Tauriel/Legolas was the only think I actively disliked out of it, but Smaug was done terrifically.

Considering it was the first book I ever read I've always desired to see it brought to film and although the first film was a bit slow the second is fast-paced and exciting.

Regarding faithfulness to the books the only major LOTR gripe I had was the total exclusion of the Scouring of the Shire, But hey ho. In Tolkeins books the battles are left largely undescribed, with the Battles of Helms Deep and Five Armies brushed over so....

Also you have to take into consideration the fact the Hobbit is pure and simple a kids book and the LOTR is for adults, So this is an adult interpretation if it anyway.

• Like 2

Hobbit rather good, although the Orc stuff still bothers. Legolas was a welcome addition (never thought I'd say that about Orlando Bloom) even if he and EVANGELINE LILY OMGOMG were essentially hack & slash merchants. Laketown looked great, easily the most interesting location in the series so far, as it had a more LOTR feel about it. All the set-pieces were exciting enough, which you would expect. I didn't really care for the Necromancer guff, but I guess it helps tie the trilogies together, and there wasn't much of it thankfully. Of course, it's Smaug we pays our monies for, and he was pretty bloody great. Dragons have been completely shit in films so far, apart from in Shrek, so I was a little apprehensive going into it, but I was very impressed.

Certainly worth a watch, even if it still doesn't come close (understandably) to the LOTR films. It is too CGI-reliant, IMO, and lacks that rustic charm of the LOTR - there isn't enough clinking when people run, for example. Little things like that made LOTR much more... believable.

Saw it in 3D, which was awful: it dulls everything and is annoying as hell.

• Like 1

Â