The Spanish Football/la Liga Thread

Troglodyte

You can't say "when not a headbanger" because the fact is Pepe IS a headbanger and that comes as part of the package. It's like saying when Barton isn't a scumbag you'd have him in the team.

I think that is way too harsh on Pepe. And wrong really...

In fact, he is one of the best players for Real Madrid under Jose Mourinho and that speaks for itself. He is very committed and often over the top, especially against Barca, but that is part of what makes him one of the best players in the world. 3 red cards over the last 4 years that bad? First on the teamsheet for me, for the second best team in the world, leading the Spanish league, captain I think for Portugal and also in the CL semi-finals. Pique has 3 reds for Barca over the same period of time, which is not bad at all given the standard of refereeing in Spain and silly cards given all the time. What will always be against Pepe is that attack a few years ago, which was insane, but we all know players can develop and grow stronger from such events. Look at Ronaldo vs. England and Beckham vs. Argentina etc.

And please do not mix in Joey Barton with Pepe! For god's sake, he plays for QPR after leaving Newcastle! He was never good enough or consistent enough for a top team, let alone teams that play in a Champions League anyway. Sure he was linked with Arsenal once, but there is a reason why he plays for QPR. Also that stupid thug has been to prison, assaulted people outside the pitch and generally acts like a fool.

My idea would be that with Bale (or someone similar) in the side, they'd hopefully be able to control games and have more penetration. When Barca try to fit all the best players in now, it isn't that balanced. They either have to revert to 3 at the back or Iniesta from the left. Although Bale wouldn't play on the wing, he'd obviously create width there.

Again, that is a bit unfair. Barcelona these past few years is as close to footballing perfection ever. Their continued success and incredible consistency is matched by no side ever. And this is 2012, with all the development in football as well as physique demanded by these players. Maradona wouldn't last 20 minutes with the pace and aggression players have today. Saying Barcelona is unbalanced is like saying Adriana Lima's nose is a bit narrow or her tits are too small.... come on! For all of Bale's assets, he lacks a fair amount of footballing smartness which isn't easy to detect at Tottenham. His style isn't very Barcaesque if you ask me, in that he likes to run in space and Barca always control in tight positions. Seldom do you see a winger run with the ball in his feet every game like Bale does at Tottenham.

In fact, he is one of the best players for Real Madrid under Jose Mourinho and that speaks for itself. He is very committed and often over the top, especially against Barca, but that is part of what makes him one of the best players in the world. 3 red cards over the last 4 years that bad? First on the teamsheet for me, for the second best team in the world, leading the Spanish league, captain I think for Portugal and also in the CL semi-finals. Pique has 3 reds for Barca over the same period of time, which is not bad at all given the standard of refereeing in Spain and silly cards given all the time. What will always be against Pepe is that attack a few years ago, which was insane, but we all know players can develop and grow stronger from such events. Look at Ronaldo vs. England and Beckham vs. Argentina etc.

agree 100% cause of his reputation he is more underrated. good reading of the game, fast and controlled aggression in big games (1 unfair red card in EL Clasico is proof). Their is a reason Mourinho plays him every week and defends him to the end

Hail Ronaldo! What a free-kick! And also cudos to Kaka, nice to see him coming back to his (near) best. He was Zidane-quality at Milan, but his slump due to injuries etc will always tarnish his reputation. Lost a bit of quickness in his feet and flow in his game, but still a very beautiful style to him.

Kaka has played very well in recent months, but I dont think he will ever recapture the form of 2005-2008. He had blistering pace back then and his ability just to run away from defenders was a huge asset. He has lost that burst of pace, still a great player but Milan saw the best of him.

Best odds I can find for Deutschland to win Euro is 7/2. I was expecting a lot more.

really? I got 8/1 in January

Whaaaaa? Where can one take advantage of such generous odds?

agree 100% cause of his reputation he is more underrated. good reading of the game, fast and controlled aggression in big games (1 unfair red card in EL Clasico is proof). Their is a reason Mourinho plays him every week and defends him to the end

Stamp on Messi hand controlled aggression? :winkold:

My idea would be that with Bale (or someone similar) in the side, they'd hopefully be able to control games and have more penetration. When Barca try to fit all the best players in now, it isn't that balanced. They either have to revert to 3 at the back or Iniesta from the left. Although Bale wouldn't play on the wing, he'd obviously create width there.

Again, that is a bit unfair. Barcelona these past few years is as close to footballing perfection ever. Their continued success and incredible consistency is matched by no side ever. And this is 2012, with all the development in football as well as physique demanded by these players. Maradona wouldn't last 20 minutes with the pace and aggression players have today. Saying Barcelona is unbalanced is like saying Adriana Lima's nose is a bit narrow or her tits are too small.... come on! For all of Bale's assets, he lacks a fair amount of footballing smartness which isn't easy to detect at Tottenham. His style isn't very Barcaesque if you ask me, in that he likes to run in space and Barca always control in tight positions. Seldom do you see a winger run with the ball in his feet every game like Bale does at Tottenham.

There is always room for improvement, of course they have been and looked brilliant but also at times, I think sometimes they rely on the same players and same plays. I'd guess that a lot more of their goals come from players down the right than the left and maybe one of the reasons they aren't top of La Liga is the fact that they've lost a threat down the left, where Villa and also Pedro at times used to occupy.

I agree to an extent about Bale but that's why I think he'd suit left back more for a team like Barca. His runs would be mainly from deep, he'll have far more space to run into and his positions means more time on the ball. He's a great low crosser of the ball, extremely fit to be able to get up and down.

The only question really in my opinion is what Stevo points out, would it work having the two full backs being both aggressive? I do think it'd be a good signing though, gives them that option, he can also play on the wing if needed or Pep wanted to try things. He's clearly a talented footballer and a great athlete and I'm sure he'd only thrive at a club like Barcelona.

No-one's saying he's a bad player (I certainly wasn't)

He's a very good defender.

However, leaving his agression out of it totally, he isn't one of the best defenders in the world. There's a handful who are above the res (those I've mentioned, Lucio, Pique, Puyol, Silva etc)

Pepe doesn't belong with them.

The level below them along with other still very good defenders, yes. But not the very best.

I think Bale could work. Without the ball they can just play the 4-3-3, without it, they can basically just treat Alves/Bale as wingers and play with 2 at the back, they've always got Busquets sitting to make it a back 3 on the counter anyway. Plus they dominate posession so much it's not all that big a risk - Unless they are playing a Madrid/Bayer/etc.

Â