The Spanish Football/la Liga Thread

Troglodyte

Here comes the comments despite blatant red.

I lost interest in La Liga after the Villarreal-Madrid farce if I'm honest. I've put some cash on Barca to win the league at 3/1, so whatever happens now I'm fine with it. So no more complaining from me, in La Liga. :winkold:

I just don't get the lack of class Barca players show any time I watch them. Diving, surrounding the ref, waving invisible cards... although 99% of said acts are performed by Biscuits.

Madrid are no saints either before anyone starts.

But as I said, I don't get it. They are both excellent teams, packed with excellent players, they don't need to behave that way.

I just don't get the lack of class Barca players show any time I watch them. Diving, surrounding the ref, waving invisible cards... although 99% of said acts are performed by Biscuits.

Madrid are no saints either before anyone starts.

But as I said, I don't get it. They are both excellent teams, packed with excellent players, they don't need to behave that way.

Foreign culture I think. I remember playing in a tournament in Italy when I was just 13 and even at that age, you had big lads diving around, waving cards. Sanchez, Busquets, Mascherano, Puyol are always far too quick in getting involved with referee decisions. Its a shame.

Not watching the game. but regarding the 'waving on card' comments, is the automatic booking for such behaviour a uefa or premier league rule?

Foreign culture I think. I remember playing in a tournament in Italy when I was just 13 and even at that age, you had big lads diving around, waving cards. Sanchez, Busquets, Mascherano, Puyol are always far too quick in getting involved with referee decisions. Its a shame.

One moment that sticks out for me was Arsenal in the FA Cup a few years back. They played a lower league side (I really can't think who) and they won a penalty in the last minute when the game was level. It was never a penalty, a complete dive by Bendtner. But Despite the panelty being the last kick of the game, Fabregas goes sprinting to the ref, screaming for him to be sent off, a total disgrace. It makes it worse than it wasn't a penalty, but come on, you're going to win the game anyway, do you really need to do that?

It's ungentlemanly conduct. Law 12. A player can be cautioned if the referee deems his is guilty of ungentlemanly conduct.

btw, the rules of the game are set by IFAB[, and they are the same worldwide. IFAB is probably the main reason why British football associations are unpopular with other countries, they think it means we have too much power. But I digress.

There is no such thing as a UEFA rule or a Premier League rule. They all come from the laws of the game as published by IFAB. A competition organiser can ask it's referees to interpret a law in a certain way, which is why you see bookings for certain things happen in Spain which you might not get in England, but it all boils down to the same thing. And the imaginary card thing is ungentlemanly conduct as covered by Law 12.

Thank you Rev.

I really didn't know that, i thought each league set its own rules to a extent.

Learn something new every day, again, thanks for the explanation.

Should've had at least 2 penalties, but I'm not going to complain about the bias anymore.

Benzema, Ozil, Khedira and Pepe need to be shipped. Benzema can't finish, Ozil can only play 45 minutes with any quality, Khedira adds nothing and Pepe is pathetic. Sort them 4 out and they'll be fine.

2 penalties? I remember Cronaldo ridiculously diving twice, was there anything else?

Handball from a corner and foul on Benzema. Even Gerry Armstong managed to take a breather from blowing Pep to admit they should've been.

and if they are penalties, what is the difference between those decisions and the two penalties Barca didn't get when they drew away at Valencia when the game was level and went onto drop points?

Holy smokes, there is a conspiracy for Valencia to finish top 4 with all these decisions!

Â