The Spanish Football/la Liga Thread

Troglodyte

I'm surprised Higuain isnt a superstar in the way most of his team mates are. He has scored 58 in his last 92 games for Madrid, and he is still only 22 years old. Why is there hardly any hype about him?

Within Spain there is. He's considered the best striker in Spain after Villa. Which he is. I think it's outside of Spain where he doesn't get the recognition because of all the other superstars at Real and with Argentina you've got more important players like Messi and Tevez. Top quality player though.

I was of the understanding that even the board at Madrid dont think he is "sexy" enough to play for them and they would rather have Benzima in the team. Obviously Mourinho doesnt give a **** what they think and wont bow to pressure from above, unusual at Madrid but they knew what they were going to get when they hired Jose.

I'm sure people in the know appreciate his talents, but it just surprises me he hasnt crossed over.

Yeah well what the board at Madrid think, and what normal people think are 2 completely different things. All Madrid care about is shirt sales and, as you say, sexy football. José played Benzema a few times to try and get him to understand the system, so he could play him and make the board happy, but that didn't end very well. Benzema were rubbish, Real were rubbish. They've only turned it around in the last 2 games. 10 goals, 2 wins. José's got Ronaldo playing though, bossed it tonight and got 2 goals, 2 assists.

I wonder how long it will be before the Benzema + big pot of cash for Rooney rumours start then?

Madrid would clearly be interested in Rooney. Fergie tried to sign Bezema last year, and he has dropped (and appears to have fallen out with) Rooney. He has sold star players at their peak several times, Kanchelskis, Ince, Stam, Beckham to name just a few. It's certainly worth speculating.

I'm surprised Higuain isnt a superstar in the way most of his team mates are. He has scored 58 in his last 92 games for Madrid, and he is still only 22 years old. Why is there hardly any hype about him?

Its very strange as he is a great striker. Got 4 in world cup as well.

Perez doesnt like him as he was a Calderon signing and thats why they waited so long for him to get a new contract.

Also he was blamed for them losing to Lyon last year in CL

Real Madrid continue to smash teams to pieces, they won 6-1 against Santander. Four for Ronaldo, Ozil and Higuain got the others, they were six up after about an hour then they appear to have declared. Sixteen goals in their last three league games, eight of those for Ronaldo. Who said Mourinho teams were boring?

I'd like to see how good he'd be at Brentford.

Edit: I'll expand on that, whilst I think Mourinho is a great tactical manager, he isn't a great coach. He hasn't spent long enough at a club to develop and build a team like the great managers of the past. His greatest achievements will always be with Porto IMO, as at every other club he's had more than substantial financial backing, and never really built a team with his players like SAF has.

So yes, coaching Madrid with one of the most expensive teams ever put together to a Champions League medal may establish him as a great manager in terms of records, but I don't see him as the best.

Although it must be said he's the best of the post-2000 era, and does very well in the roundabout instant success buisness that is football.

What system do Real Madrid play? Seems like they have a hell of a lot of attacking players on fit in..

I assume it's Di Maria and Higuain up front, Ozil and Ronaldo on the wings and Kaka and Khedira in the centre?

But that'd leave out Xabi Alonso, Diarra, Benzema, Leon..

What system do Real Madrid play? Seems like they have a hell of a lot of attacking players on fit in..

I assume it's Di Maria and Higuain up front, Ozil and Ronaldo on the wings and Kaka and Khedira in the centre?

But that'd leave out Xabi Alonso, Diarra, Benzema, Leon..

Kaka is injured.

Â