The Spanish Football/la Liga Thread

Troglodyte

It's not really an excuse, but it is worth remembering that Barcelona had to travel to Milan by road for that game because of the gigantic cloud of volcanic ash stopping all flying in Europe.

If anyone can do it like you said, he can. He has done it before with Inter (3-1 then lost 1-0 but went through on 3-2 aggregate.. champions league mind you though - I still remember that day).

Well it was less than a year ago...!

Doesn't matter, i'm confident he will have a plan anyway and he will win even if he is with real madrid now.. mind you if they perform anything like they have recent then they have no chance.

Was referring to "I still remember that day"!

If anyone can do it like you said, he can. He has done it before with Inter (3-1 then lost 1-0 but went through on 3-2 aggregate.. champions league mind you though - I still remember that day).

Well it was less than a year ago...!

Doesn't matter, i'm confident he will have a plan anyway and he will win even if he is with real madrid now.. mind you if they perform anything like they have recent then they have no chance.

Was referring to "I still remember that day"!

Oh :lol:

to be fair I did forget the world cup.. :lol:

I think Barcelona are a little bit of a different animal than last year. They've almost defied logic. I think all of us used to say, yes you can stop them....that's why they need someone like Ibrahimovic, because he's big and therefore at times, can play a more direct pass or cross etc...that's if I remember rightly, what was said often, but hey...it turns out that just having a team full of midgets who all play perfect ball all the time is better than having the ability to mix it up!

Its when you look at Real Madrid's points tally and consider the fact that they are essentially out of the title race that you realise just how amazing Barcelona are.

It's not really a fair perspective, but I'll make it anyway, if Real Madrid were in the Premier League they would be in second place two points behind Manchester United with four games in hand.

If they were in Italy they would be a point clear of AC Milan with three games in hand.

If they were in Germany they would be two points clear of Dortmund with three games in hand.

Real Madrid really arent doing anything wrong. Their points tally is quite amazing but they are unfortunate to be up against opposition who will go down as one of the greatest football teams of all time.

Thing is, better teams have tried to do it and failed. Difference was today, Gijon had their one opportunity and they took it. Sometimes, a team can get a chance like that, miss it...Barca go onto win 2/3-0 and you completely forget about it. I think International duty and the fact likes of Pedro, Busquets, Abidal, Puyol all rested had something to do with it also.

Also, again Betis, Barca were playing a much understrength team. No Villa, Iniesta, Busquets, Pedro, Puyol, Alves, Abidal. All usually start.

In reality, to get anything from Barca, it's not going to be tactics alone because plenty of clubs have got huge numbers behind the ball and been defeated by Barca, it's a number of things. Tactics of course being one of them.

6 yellow cards tonight for Barca.. was it a case of them throwing a strop because teams aren't allowed to take the lead against them?

Palop just thrown the game away against 10 man Racing. :(

Not really. Mascherano and Afellay were both booked for challenges made, your usual challenges.

Valdes was booked slightly harshly, sort of squared upto a player who was slightly late into a challenge.

Absolutely no clue why Xavi, Pedro and and Pinto were booked. There wasn't a single incident in the game where it was like handbags...was a pretty clean game really.

In reality, to get anything from Barca, it's not going to be tactics alone because plenty of clubs have got huge numbers behind the ball and been defeated by Barca, it's a number of things. Tactics of course being one of them.

Getting men behind ball wasnt only tactic used. full backs tucked in and wide men tucked it made the pitch more crowded and made it more difficult for Barcelona

You say it like nobody tries that though Zatman. Teams have tried to "park the bus" against Barcelona plenty of times and got beat. Just because one of them gets a draw doesnt mean that we have stumbled on this new tactic that is guaranteed to shut Barcelona down every time.

Getting men behind ball wasnt only tactic used. full backs tucked in and wide men tucked it made the pitch more crowded and made it more difficult for Barcelona

Yeah but almost every team has tried it this season, just in other games, Barca have been a yard sharper than they were, possibly because of international break and perhaps have profited from a lapse in concentration, where as that did not come against Sporting really. I think you saw a big difference in second half when Pedro came on, perhaps had he started, it might have been a little different.

I don't think anyone can beat Barca with a 'tactic'...you need a whole host of things to go your way. It's not that simple...'use this tactic and we'll get something'....or else, Barca wouldn't have won 16 games in a row this season...

well obviously you need disciplined workhorses in your team to work the tactics which I dont think Arsenal or Real Madrid have.

If they get Chelsea(the team Barca do fear) in the knockout phase Id expect Chelsea to do them over 2 games

Â