The Spanish Football/la Liga Thread

Troglodyte

• 2 weeks later...

Eibar 2 nil up then concede an own goal, 2 penalties and a red card. Looks like not enough and Real will win it

another Messi penalty miss. his record from the spot is not that great

No way Barca deserve the league....a disjointed team bailed out time and again by MSN. They need major signings in defence and midfield.

Real Madrid were superior over the season even if this team isn't a patch on some of the great ones they've had over the last 20 years.

Isco's breakthough season, he wins his first La Liga Championship, and is on his way to his 3rd CL winning medal at just 25. I do hope he starts the final this time and doesn't make way for Bale.

I knew we should have signed this guy and not Joe Cole on a free pay as you play.

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Isco's breakthough season, he wins his first La Liga Championship, and is on his way to his 3rd CL winning medal at just 25. I do hope he starts the final this time and doesn't make way for Bale.

I knew we should have signed this guy and not Joe Cole on a free pay as you play.

Cheeky bid still on?

16 hours ago, VillaChris said:

No way Barca deserve the league....a disjointed team bailed out time and again by MSN. They need major signings in defence and midfield.

Real Madrid were superior over the season even if this team isn't a patch on some of the great ones they've had over the last 20 years.

Yes they have the top two scorers in la liga this season and they won the big games against Real and Atletico but was it Deportivo they lost to after thrashing PSG. That ultimately cost them the title and Enrique is to blame for not picking a full strength team.  Real came back from behind late on in quite a few games. the big difference between the sides is the squads. Real can rest players and still win Barcelona cant. Their recruitment policy has to be questioned.

They are too reliant on ageing players like Iniesta. in fact they are rubbish without him. 

Edited by PaulC

55 minutes ago, Xela said:

A decent 12 months for Ronaldo...

Plus his record at Real is staggering. 404 goals in 393 games. 

people said he was finished a few months ago and then he gets a hat-trick vs Bayern, Atletico and a league winning goal

I quite enjoyed Barça losing the title this season. Are Real still the pantomime villain because of the Franco era?  Must say I've never liked him, but then I've yet to see 127 hours.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Zatman said:

people said he was finished a few months ago and then he gets a hat-trick vs Bayern, Atletico and a league winning goal

yes hes playing more down the middle now isn't he. maybe that has helped his return. 

8 hours ago, BOF said:

I quite enjoyed Barça losing the title this season. Are Real still the pantomime villain because of the Franco era?  Must say I've never liked him, but then I've yet to see 127 hours.

He's 'armless.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

So... any high profile footballer/manager that isn't going to be done by the Spanish tax authorities? :D 

I wonder if Jose will follow Messi and say "although I'm innocent here's a cheque for the millions that you say I owe plus interest, please don't put me in jail"

• Like 1

Just now, Genie said:

I wonder if Jose will follow Messi and say "although I'm innocent here's a cheque for the millions that you say I owe plus interest, please don't put me in jail"

It's a shame he's not at Real Madrid now so he can't follow Ronaldo's stance of "wah, wah, I'm leaving Spain" (I'm awaiting the moment he gets a pay rise from Real that will equate to his unpaid tax bill.)

€ 3.3 million, that's pocket change for Mourinho. 

Can't honestly say I think there is any elaborate scheme behind behind this. Too little money involved.

Meanwhile Luka Modric is facing jail time at home in Croatia for suspected perjury in trial in connection to his slave owner Zdravco Mamic.

Luka Modric could face up to five years in prison for suspected perjury in trial

Investigation into Real Madrid midfielder over suspicion of false testimony 
 Case relates to deals with former Dinamo Zagreb director Zdravko Mamic

Croatia and Real Madrid midfielder Luka Modric Croatia and Real Madrid midfielder Luka Modric appeared in court to testify in the corruption trial of Zdravko Mamic earlier 

Croatian prosecutors have launched an investigation into suspected perjury against the Real Madrid midfielder Luka Modric on suspicion of him giving false testimony in a criminal trial about his financial deals with a former Dinamo Zagreb director charged with embezzlement and tax fraud. If charged and found guilty, he could face up to five years in prison.

Modric testified last week at the trial of a tax official and three former senior officials from Dinamo Zagreb, including its former chief executive, Zdravko Mamic. Mamic is considered one of the most powerful people in Croatian football with a substantial political influence.

The state attorney’s office in the eastern city of Osijek, which is running the investigation of the false testimony, did not name Modric, as is standard procedure in Croatia.

But the state attorney’s office referred to a 32-year-old Croatian who testified last week, a description that fits Modric and no one else. Local media, including state radio and television, identified Modric as the investigation’s target.

Modric testified as a witness at the trial of Dinamo officials on charges that they avoided paying 12.2m Kuna (£1.44m) in taxes and that they diverted 116 million Kuna (£13.7m) from the club, anti-corruption police said.

“The witness falsely said that on 10 July, 2004, the date when he signed his first professional contract, he also signed an annex on the basis of which he had acquired a right to a 50:50 share in transfer fees,” the state attorney said in a statement. The attorney also said Modric falsely claimed he had signed such an annex every time he extended his contract.

Two years ago Modric testified to anti-corruption investigators that he had signed an annex to his contract at a later point, when he had already joined a foreign club, according to the state attorney.

Modric moved to Tottenham from Dinamo Zagreb in 2008. He joined Real Madrid in 2012.

All three former Dinamo officials, who also include the former coach Zoran Mamic and the club’s former executive and current senior official of the Croatian Football Federation, Damir Vrbanovic, deny the charges.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jun/19/luka-modric-five-years-prison-suspected-perjury-real-madrid

14 minutes ago, sne said:

€ 3.3 million, that's pocket change for Mourinho. 

Can't honestly say I think there is any elaborate scheme behind behind this. Too little money involved.

Messi's was €4.1 million

Ronaldo's €14.7 million

All of them can pay it - the amount against Ronaldo is large - but can't be a coincidence that these are all involved at Real Madrid and Barcelona, can it?  May not be an elaborate scheme by the players/Jose, but perhaps their financial advice wasn't the cleanest...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Messi's was €4.1 million

Ronaldo's €14.7 million

All of them can pay it - the amount against Ronaldo is large - but can't be a coincidence that these are all involved at Real Madrid and Barcelona, can it?  May not be an elaborate scheme by the players/Jose, but perhaps their financial advice wasn't the cleanest...

True. 

I actually thought the Messi sum was much higher.

Edit: Think I had it mixed up with the Neymar and his dad Santos transfer story.

Edited by sne

4 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Messi's was €4.1 million

Ronaldo's €14.7 million

Be interesting to see how these new cases pan out. Messi 'got off' to degree. Ronaldo might decide there's no point leaving Spain if they've gone after Jose years after he left. Of course he can afford the bill but Spain might decide that it wants to make an example of them.

Â