The Spanish Football/la Liga Thread

Troglodyte

It's a poor way to decide things because the head to head results can be decided by January yet the season runs to May. Talk about blowing your load early.

It should also be pointed out that the Primera uses head to head and not goal difference to sort out tie-breakers so once the 3pts was secured it doesn't matter what they won by as it has no bearing on a tie-breaker with Real Madrid and it gives them the tie over Levante.  Only a complodicated threeway (giggety) tie between Barça, Levante and A.N.Other would invoke goal difference and that probably ain't going to happen.

It could impact a tie with Real Madrid, if the two head-to-heads were split with identical scorelines, then goal difference in all games applies. But the odds of that wold have to be on the order of 5-10% of the time that they finished level on points, so something like that would happen on the order of once a century.

It'd be a terrible shame, but I doubt Martino will gamble with him, especially at this stage of the season.  He's still by far the best player in the world, and Barça are better with him in the side, but they have plenty of other options - including the young man who equalised tonight.

not because of him but barca have been a lot better since neymar came on

not a clue how biscuits hasn't been sent off

and it might be match fitness or how much he did / didn't play during the summer (I know he was injured) but cesc looks way off the pace, shy of confidence, couple of times he's delayed a shot or tried to pass when in a good position

The default settings of most La Liga sides when playing Real or Barcelona is all out defense, with the strikers making use of their spare time to ask the gods of football to show mercy.

So I agree - there are good mid-table encounters and the battle to avoid relegation is always an intense one but all in all - when the 2 top spots are occupied - there is a problem.

To add to that - many of the Spanish clubs are bankrupt. "Twenty-two first- and second-division clubs are in insolvency proceedings or have been in recent years" (copied from The Guardian). Valencia debts are in the region 260-270 million Euros!!! Levante went broke a couple of years back, Just as Racing Santander and Alaves. The list goes on and on - Real Oviedo, Malaga, Deportivo La Coruna, Mallorca, Albacete. Some of them were quite successful, making big bucks in the Champions League but even that's not enough to keep the head above water.

The default settings of most La Liga sides when playing Real or Barcelona is all out defense, with the strikers making use of their spare time to ask the gods of football to show mercy.

like I keep saying, how is that any different from the prem? did you watch Chelsea vs hull? hull weren't interested in drawing / winning in the slightest, they were interested in not getting embarrassed, and unfortunately Chelsea weren't interested in embarrassing them either which made for a very boring 2nd half, man city vs Newcastle wasn't much better from what I saw of the 2nd half, Newcastle weren't interested

and least barca kept going and provided some entertainment

like I keep saying, how is that any different from the prem? did you watch Chelsea vs hull? hull weren't interested in drawing / winning in the slightest, they were interested in not getting embarrassed, and unfortunately Chelsea weren't interested in embarrassing them either which made for a very boring 2nd half, man city vs Newcastle wasn't much better from what I saw of the 2nd half, Newcastle weren't interested

What about Chelsea v Villa? Surely that's a more typical example than Chelsea versus a promoted side. The likes of Villa, Swansea, West Ham will give the top 4 far less respect than their counterparts in Spain give to Barca/Real.

like I keep saying, how is that any different from the prem? did you watch Chelsea vs hull? hull weren't interested in drawing / winning in the slightest, they were interested in not getting embarrassed, and unfortunately Chelsea weren't interested in embarrassing them either which made for a very boring 2nd half, man city vs Newcastle wasn't much better from what I saw of the 2nd half, Newcastle weren't interested

What about Chelsea v Villa? Surely that's a more typical example than Chelsea versus a promoted side. The likes of Villa, Swansea, West Ham will give the top 4 far less respect than their counterparts in Spain give to Barca/Real.

Or Man City vs Cardiff for that matter.

really good game ruined by the ref and diving

messi really quiet and missed a penalty, think the amount of football he's played has caught up with him

atletico will right up there again this year

think barcelona wont be as dominant this season as last. the players are nearing the end. will thrash the rubbish like Levante but Atletico and Malaga(who arent as good as last season) have made it difficult for them so far and only 1 win in them 3 games

• 4 weeks later...

For people who haven't got Sky, Talksport have live coverage of the Madrid derby tonight. Must be the first time a british radio station has had live coverage of a foreign game?

Game's going to be a cracker Real have not been at all convincing this season, Atletico finally have a manager capable of coping with the huge expectations at that club.

Â