Running

trimandson

Once you get to that level of fitness, there's nothing quite like a good uphill run.

Way back in the dark ages (1982) when I was training for the London Marathon, I was on a 10 mile training run one day on a stretch of road that dipped down into a valley and up the other side (for those who know Leeds, the ring road between Oakwood Sainsburys and the West Park roundabout).

On my way down, a younger guy hurtled past me and as he went by he waved and said: "Byee!"

So I carried on at my steady pace and waited until he was halfway up the other side. At which point I fired the afterburners and overhauled him. As I went past I smiled and gave him back his "Byee!"

Deeply satisfying.

Bastard :D

He started it!

Guys I am working on a large charity challenge with a few ex players based on European Cup history. Is anyone considering giving a marathon a shot soon ?

If so , I am in desperate need of runners for marathons between Octoboer and May next year, all over Europe

Being Villa fans massively helps from a PR angle ;)

Absolutely chuffed to bits with my time at the Zurich Marathon on sunday. I did it in 2 hours 43 minutes and 25 seconds. I started off a bit fast but tat was because it was quite spread out but found my pace with a few of the swiss elite runners. I felt a nasty calf strain around 18 miles which slowed me down a bit (I would have been on for sub 2:35 had I carried on) but I kept going. The last 2 kilometres felt like they went on forever!

206903_1974174631091_1144802352_3437632_1923466_n.jpg

Its a lovely race, I'd recommend it to anyone!

Right, has anyone got a spare stairlift? I can barely walk!

Yep, a dream is all it woudl ever be with me.

Hoping after my 10 k next month that I can push on and keep increasing the distance. maybe look to do a half marathon in the Autumn/Winter.

Did another 10k last night. Slower than 55 minutes again so no pace at all, and it was really tough, but I put that down to not havign enough energy due to what I'm eating.

Before the actual race I'll be eating properly so should give me that extra burst.

I've revised my targets. 55 minutes is now my minimum. I'll be gutted if I'm slower than that, especially as Manchester is allegedly a flat course.

50 minutes is my new stretch target. Hoping with the right fuel before the race, coupled with the adrenalin of the day, i should be able to keep to 5 minute kilometres. Even if I don't, setting off at that pace should give me enough to comfortably get under 55 minutes I tire later on.

I've revised my targets. 55 minutes is now my minimum. I'll be gutted if I'm slower than that, especially as Manchester is allegedly a flat course.

50 minutes is my new stretch target. Hoping with the right fuel before the race, coupled with the adrenalin of the day, i should be able to keep to 5 minute kilometres. Even if I don't, setting off at that pace should give me enough to comfortably get under 55 minutes I tire later on.

manch is indeed pretty flat, yes. If it's the Manchester 10K (Great Manc Run) then you do get an extra buzz from the crowd and all the other runners, yes sirree.

The only real downside of the GMR in terms of times is the sheer busyness of the route. The roads aren't all that wide at times, and the race is very busy. You can get held up by very slow runners/walkers at various points. You also have to zig zag past slow runners/walkers constantly I found, so it means that you're running that bit further than 10K, and geting held up whislt doing it.

They key for a good time is to get out in an early group, and be near the front. But that's less fun. Get in with the masses and enjoy yourself! :P

manch is indeed pretty flat, yes. If it's the Manchester 10K (Great Manc Run) then you do get an extra buzz from the crowd and all the other runners, yes sirree.

The only real downside of the GMR in terms of times is the sheer busyness of the route. The roads aren't all that wide at times, and the race is very busy. You can get held up by very slow runners/walkers at various points. You also have to zig zag past slow runners/walkers constantly I found, so it means that you're running that bit further than 10K, and geting held up whislt doing it.

They key for a good time is to get out in an early group, and be near the front. But that's less fun. Get in with the masses and enjoy yourself! :P

It is indeed the GMR.

I did the GReat Edinburgh run for the last 2 years, which was greta, and similarly busy i would think. It's also a very hilly course in Edinburgh.

So as you say, I'm hoping to get a similar buzz from the crowd in Manc. add the flat course and the decent nutrition beforehand and I don't think 50 minutes is beyond me.

Hopefully I@ll be able to navigate the masses..

One of my biggest problems I found at the last 2 Edinburgh runs, was my sprint finish. I always have enough in the tank t be able to sprint the last 200/300 metres. but in Edinburgh there was so many bloody people in the way at the end that it was impossible to really finish strongly.

If I'm chasing down 50 minutes then I'll be super annoyed if (when) that happens in Manchester.

One of my biggest problems I found at the last 2 Edinburgh runs, was my sprint finish. I always have enough in the tank t be able to sprint the last 200/300 metres. but in Edinburgh there was so many bloody people in the way at the end that it was impossible to really finish strongly.

If I'm chasing down 50 minutes then I'll be super annoyed if (when) that happens in Manchester.

The finish is pretty open in Manc (DeansGate), so you should be OK on that score ....

The start can be very crowded however.

It is a superb run though.

I'd be doing it myself if I wasn't always injured ...

Interesting interview with Haile Gebrsellassie last weekend - he thinks somebody WILL eventually go sub-2 hours. And I agree with him.

As he said, EVERYTHING will have to be right - course, weather, etc. - and the man who does it will have to have "one of those days". But I can see it happening.

Surely the evolution of the human athlete will guarantee that this happens sooner or later.

Interesting interview with Haile Gebrsellassie last weekend - he thinks somebody WILL eventually go sub-2 hours. And I agree with him.

As he said, EVERYTHING will have to be right - course, weather, etc. - and the man who does it will have to have "one of those days". But I can see it happening.

Surely the evolution of the human athlete will guarantee that this happens sooner or later.

Probably. But by that logic you could say man will eventually run the 100 metres in 1 second.

Which is highly unlikely.

Been for a proper sports massage and some physio to iron out a couple of niggles tonight, I'm going to aim for at 7-8k tomorrow.

I've started to eat a lot more of the right stuff too so hopefully it'll be a success.

Having never really ran in my life before apart from on a football pitch (last time 5 years ago) I have decided to enter the London half marathon on September 25th is that a reasonably achievable goal?

Any tips for running plans and diets?

Having never really ran in my life before apart from on a football pitch (last time 5 years ago) I have decided to enter the London half marathon on September 25th is that a reasonably achievable goal?

Any tips for running plans and diets?

(a) Yes

(B)Runner's World

I learned the hard way that if you are feeling actual anxiety and not sleeping much then running a 5k that is normally easy will suddenly become a major challenge. And your heart quite literally feels like it is about to explode. But I made it. I've got to get back to upping the run.

Did a park run today; 21.39, knocking over 4 minutes over the personal best. Pretty happy with that.

Well I ve achieved what I wanted yesterday; a sub 21 5K; 20.55. Very happy about it, felt like I rolled back the years slightly. Now up for something a bit more challenging if the body holds up. Need to join a club and start running 3 or 4 times a week. Maybe and its a big maybe I could finally do a marathon that I complete.

Wonder if anyone can help with this medical query?

I'm training for a marathon in October. I've been running for about 3 years but only short distances apart from a half-marathon I did in 2008 and the 3 peaks in 2009 (kinda related).

I can currently do about 6 miles comfortably, probably 10-13 at a push.

Last night I pushed myself a bit harder and when I got into bed on the night I could feel a slight pain from my heart with every beat. Not related to breathing or anything else, just every time I could feel my heart beating, I could feel slight pain from definitely my heart with it.

I've previously had ECGs and two 24 hour ECGs for heart palpitations. They've never found anything wrong, it seems to come and go with diet, so I found if I'm not stressed it lessens the occurrences and it seems to be quite a common thing anyway. They two did blood tests last time, they reckon neither showed up anything (I assume Cholesterol, diabetes, etc.)

I've had this slight heart pain before and it seemed to be when I'm eating less / less sugar during the day, go for a run and just before I go to sleep it happens.

Now, to improve muscles you have to damage them for them to rebuild stronger. The heart is a muscle so you'd reasonably expect to get some pain after pushing yourself hard. But every single bloody web site just goes straight for the alarmist 'Call 999 now!'. Oh yeah, when resting my heart rate is really slow, about 48-50. Apparently this is fine with no other symptons...

Any thoughts?

^^ Maybe the 999 is a but much, but probably worth speaking to a doctor mate!

I went out for a short jog last night and after about a mile kept getting little pains in my foot, can only describe them as being like little electric shocks. No idea what is was but decided I couldn't continue which was was frustrating. Anyone experienced anything similar?

what are they and what do they do.
Vibram FiveFingers are a type of shoe manufactured by Vibram. Originally developed as a “barefoot alternative” for sailing and paddling, the footwear has thin, flexible soles that are contoured to the shape of the human foot, including visible individual sections for the toes. Vibram FiveFingers are meant to replicate being barefoot and allow for the natural biomechanics of the foot to work.
Wiki

Why the **** they are called FiveFingers and not FiveToes, I have no idea.

Very true but I figure it's based on the translation by the italian designer. If it's anything like spanish then fingers and toes translate to almost the same word.

Â