Running

trimandson

Its a weird one, because a marathon/half marathon are very much 26 miles and a bit, 13 miles a bit, yet we run 5km/10km (which is a pity as the 10 mile which is rarely run is an hour effort). The mile is still one of the iconic records to hold, does anyone care about the 1000 metres??

I am in a strange half way house; I think in kgs, yet I really worry about my mile pace!?!? And then when I am racing in France in the mountains I always have to change everything over as trying to convert in your head is really hard after 150 km of riding and 4000 metres ascended!!!

• Like 1

We've definitely had some interesting weather recently, though I have to admit I love running in torrential rain, few things bring a smile to my face like a sudden downpour mid-run. Gale force winds however are a different story..

Added two more races to the calendar this week, a 'half' (14.6mi) in the Brecon Beacons in May and the Seaview 17 in July, a ~21mi run along the Exmoor stretch of the SW coastal path. Still looking to squeeze a road marathon in a some point but it's proving difficult to find one that fits.

Also heading to California for two weeks on Thursday and can't wait to get on some of their trails, particularly looking forward to Marin Headlands in SF and hoping to get over to Yosemite as well. Might have to be a lot of early morning running to avoid abandoning the Mrs too much, I'm already getting 'the look' every time I mention a different place I want to run.

• 3 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Went for a run with Steve Cram today. I'm bloody stoked!

Did you take it handy at the pace till near the end and try to out sprint him ???? :D ...I tried that once at a paced mile event with Catherina McKernan ....She was well wise to what was happening

20 minutes ago, Meath_Villan said:

Did you take it handy at the pace till near the end and try to out sprint him ???? :D ...I tried that once at a paced mile event with Catherina McKernan ....She was well wise to what was happening

I kept trying to goad him into a race but he wasn't having any of it. Claimed he was injured. He'd probably still destroy me even though he claims he only runs 7 mm now.

Hmm - have come across the first test in my new acquaintance with running and gradual training for a debut HM in October. About the time I finished the Couch to 5k programme life stuff and serial colds have limited me to one run in two weeks now. I have a first ever 10k "race" booked in for 2nd April, which I'm looking forward to but hoping this bug goes away pronto to allow me to get some practice runs in again. I've not been measuring my distance, just my stamina at the moment. Before the bugs I was comfortable with 30 minutes runs and feel I can probably do 40 minutes without totally gasping, but the lack of practice lately has me wary! I'm sure the whole running with other people will definitely help - giving me plenty of people to try and tag along or keep up with, and the weather ought not to be total crap either, but fingers crossed!

35 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Hmm - have come across the first test in my new acquaintance with running and gradual training for a debut HM in October. About the time I finished the Couch to 5k programme life stuff and serial colds have limited me to one run in two weeks now. I have a first ever 10k "race" booked in for 2nd April, which I'm looking forward to but hoping this bug goes away pronto to allow me to get some practice runs in again. I've not been measuring my distance, just my stamina at the moment. Before the bugs I was comfortable with 30 minutes runs and feel I can probably do 40 minutes without totally gasping, but the lack of practice lately has me wary! I'm sure the whole running with other people will definitely help - giving me plenty of people to try and tag along or keep up with, and the weather ought not to be total crap either, but fingers crossed!

Don't worry... run by feel and you'll make it and have great fun.

• Like 2

Â