Running

trimandson

Once had a conversation with a physio who'd been running for decades about the different approaches to warming up. When I asked him how he warmed up his answer was 'have a hot shower'.

If I'm just going for an easy run I don't tend to bother warming up besides some heel/toe walking. If I'm doing a workout I'll just do some easy jogging for a mile or two then stop and do some lunges, front and side leg raises, and a couple of sprints.

As Paul says everyone is different, but I've picked up injuries in the past from static stretching before a run.

5 hours ago, Rodders said:

yeah, definitely doing more stretches before. Had another run yesterday, for most of the 25 minute jogging it was a pain until the final few minutes, after that it was fine and I happily did a more energetic 10 minute burst home. Only my left leg which is a bit odd, but there we go, more stretching ahoy. 

Sounds like something's up lad ....I'd have it checked out to be fair ....25 quid or however much it is for a quick check up in the Physio now and they can run through the dynamic and static stretches you need and have a look at you gait (any good physio should be able to analyze it) and just to make sure there's no underlying issue .....Then doing yourself an injury and spending 100s to sort it 

Edited by Meath_Villan

I do some real brief and shallow static before running, i.e., just enough to wake the muscle up, never ever go into a full stretch as I learned through experience that things feel like poo next day after doing that. I do try a long static hamstring stretch a couple of evenings a week, but that'll be after I'm ready for sofa.

If I'm doing a hard session, I will try and get 10-30mins easy running with the last few mins slowly steadily increasing toward target hard pace. I never need to do any stretching before a run in this case. I pretty much always get a good stretch in post run.

I like to do static stretching after a couple of mile warm-up as otherwise I tend to have issues and basically all my current injury woes have basically come from not doing enough stretching generally. I suffer mostly with either hip or back issues.

Finally got my years race plans in place as got accepted to the New York Marathon in November (actually got in on my half marathon time from last year) so a nice Marathon Major Double for the season.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Meath_Villan said:

(any good physio should be able to analyze it) 

And this is one of the great problems for us all; finding a good physio. If you do stick with them!

And strengthening is the real friend of all runners, most of us have imbalances and we need to work on them.

I actually have levels for this depending on my condition.

Legs mullered from racing/training - see cheaper sports masseuse

Legs, Back, everything a bit of a mess but not injured - see experienced masseuse

Broken - see the physio.

I always run my first mile the slowest and last mile fastest. No matter the distance. I'll start off around 9.35 end around 8.35. 

Trying to get my start pace Up by going for 2 mile quick runs once a week so I start to learn that pace. 

Im currently running 3 times a week. Sunday 3-5 miles, Tuesday 2 miles fast as possible, Thursday 2.2 miles play football for an hour and then 2.2 miles back. 

If you want to get faster, do intervals. The tendency if you run at one pace is that is all you can do, so anywhere where you stress the body for a period is good, as long as you have sufficient time to recover in-between, and then allow enough time to recover (this time should be shorter than the interval). The problem about these kind of workouts is they carry a greater risk of injury, but offer a greater reward in terms of fitness.

Try a Parkrun as well, a great way to measure progress. Also whenever you run ‘competitively’ you just become faster as the adrenaline flows.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, PauloBarnesi said:

Try a Parkrun as well, a great way to measure progress. Also whenever you run ‘competitively’ you just become faster as the adrenaline flows.

I can attest to this.  I bloody hurts more too :)

Ran a trail 10k as my second race of the year last night. Tough course - as well as ankle deep mud for most of it - and had a few headlamp issues but finished in 49:07, 10th place.

Happy with the time considering the conditions, very pleased with the placing. Probably going to pull the trigger on registering for a couple of races today whilst the post-run high is still strong.

Edited by Delphouneso
  • Like 2

Strained a  hamstring last week playing table tennis of all things. It has been 8 days now and I have been icing it regularly and wearing a thigh support. I am walking around fine although do feel it when walking up hill and if I try to bend forward over knee.  I have managed to use a rowing machine three times since Sunday as I am trying to keep up some kind of cardio fitness and find that doesn’t put any strain on it as long as I don’t throw myself too far back.

I am becoming very tempted to try to have a trot out and just take it really steady around 11 min+ mile pace and plan a nice flat route. Anyone had any experience of hamstring problems and can offer any advice.

I had quite a bad strain this time last year after of all things pushing a full trolley at Costco. Once it got to a manageable point where it felt more tight than painful I was able to do easy runs fine but no speed work.

i hate swimming but going to go at lunchtime for some active recovery after my longest ever training run yesterday.

• Like 1

Â