Running

trimandson

How quick should a 5 mile bike ride be? I'm not talking Olympic standard, nor local standard just roughly for somebody getting fit.

You should think about tripling that number at least, 5 miles should take about 10-15 minutes, anyway this is a running thread!

How quick should a 5 mile bike ride be? I'm not talking Olympic standard, nor local standard just roughly for somebody getting fit.

You should think about tripling that number at least, 5 miles should take about 10-15 minutes, anyway this is a running thread!

I'm working on bike to strengthen my legs cos after 6k of 10k run they go to jelly. 5 miles run, 5 miles bike, 5 miles run every 3 days atm. Want to stop legs giving out so i can complete 10k

Brisk walking and gym work if you have never run before, runners world magazine is amazing - I used to get it, I think they have done a magazine for new runners, not sure of price but they are a dedicated magazine and worth getting.

Decent running shoes, has to be or you will not be able to run 2/3/4 times a week for sore feet etc. Never had a problem with Asics, my choice when I did run for Hampshire (and as soon as I am fit and ready, will be buying a fab pair again!)

BUT if you really did just decide to go on a run with nothing else (seriously be careful, start with a good diet, running and being mentally and physically unfit can cause problems and you'll get cramps in the stomach etc) go for a 1/2 mile LIGHT jog once a day (twice if you can manage) and build from there.

Build slowly.

Just do whatever pace and distance you feel comfortable with and do it as often as you feel capable. it's a bit different I know, but I've just started running again after my op and I started of literally running for a few yards before having to stop. After a few weeks now I'm running for 5 minutes at a time, I haven't pushed myself, just done what my body will allow.

Guys, I'm sure it was in this thread but I can't find it. Someone mentioned before a shop in birmingham where you go for running shoes, and they make you run on a treadmill and give you exactly the right shoes based on your running style...or something like that.

Anyone know it and how much it is?

I want to try and start up my running again, but the last time I did a 10k I could barely walk for a week because of my trainers.

just did my 1st proper run for about 5 years...

distance: 1.86 miles/3km

average speed: 7.26m/h

fastest: 9.65m/h

time: 15m 25s

how is that for starters? i got a stitch after 2 minutes but i soldiered on till the end, i could do a lot better without it!

That's very quick actually. Well done if you haven't run for years.

I've done running off and on for about 3 years. I ran 13 miles down the Bromsgrove-Worcester canal 2 years ago in just over 2 hours. Did quite a hilly run the other day which was 6 miles in 59m and was quite proud of that. I think once you get to a certain level of fitness it's difficult to fully lose it and you can quite quickly get it back.

For new runners I'd recommend getting some Asics running shoes from start fitness. They do last year's models at much lower prices and I paid about £40 for mine to last me about 3 years. Will probably have to change them soon though.

Don't wear too much. With the weather it is now, you'll be fine with just shorts and a base layer with maybe a running jacket on top if really cold.

Stretch your calfs, hamstrings, neck and shoulders before setting out. Start jogging really slowly and warm up as you're going. DON'T go right after food, try to go just before eating as it will get your body ready for food.

As you're going slow, it will feel like you could probably walk faster, this is fine, just go really floppy, relax your arms, wrists and everything. Just pad your feet forward, using your floppiness to ensure you're not impacting on your legs too much. Relax as much as possible and have nothing tensed. To start off, probably 1-1.5m would be a nice workout without stopping.

Don't try to run on legs with torn muscles. If you have to wait 3 days for them to feel right, don't bother going out until they're healed. You'll do no good at all.

If you have a smartphone, use a running app to speak your speed to you. 10 mins / mile is a decent steady pace. If you're feeling good, try and maintain 7 - 8 mins / mile.

Finally, as you're running, feel the breeze on your face and realise how nice it is to be out, fit and free. It gives you much more motivation to get out there the next night.

My last run

me and a few mate have signed up for the Great North Run. Find out this week if we have been drawn in the ballot. Done the Sutton fun run a few times but not for the the last 2 years done it in about 1.12 i think. Not sure if i want to be accepted or not means i will have to start training

Started working out regularly again but I am training for The Gate River Run which is a 15k. I have never run this distance before and especially not over bridges with tons of people around me. Pretty good at pacing myself but so far I have never achieved more than a 10k. ANY advice would be great.

If you can do a 10k you can easily do a 15k. To train for my half-marathon I used to do 6m every Sunday, then a couple of 10m for the 2 weeks before, and then the step up to 13m isn't noticeable.

I did the 10k once. Last summer. Haven't run that far since. Normally a 5k is my comfort zone. I can do a bit more but thats where I seem to lose it. Also nervous because it's not as if I can practice running up any hills to get ready for the two bridges in the run.

What's a decent distance to start out running and how often?

I've just started running again. I'm not in the best of shape, but I'm not naturally unfit. Although I do smoke 10 a day which can't be under estimated.

I'm training for the Knowle 8k in May. Today (my 4th run) I ran 3.9k in 23 minutes, which I suspect is a pretty decent pace. Though I did have to walk 100m or so in the middle thanks to a monster of a stitch.

I don't agree with all this gradual build up bollocks. If you're *reasonably* in shape to begin with just run as far as you can without injuring yourself and stretch properly. Job done.

I'm too lazy to run but I need to start exercising again as my blood circulation is getting worse :oops:

Best thing to do is start out on a tread mill down the gym. do a few 2/3k runs, maybe a 5k bike ride. It will get your interest juices flowing. Road running is a completely different animal.

Do you live near a canal at all? They're great for starting out. Flat, and you can uses the bridges as markers.

I do have an exercise bike here at home but I don't live near a canal though I do know a 3 mile long route that is almost deserted, maybe see one person on ocassion.

3 miles is a surprisingly long way. Not sure I could run that yet.

Just give it a bash. I used to find running boring, but if you set yourself a goal (like a fun run) it becomes more than a chore.

Do you have anyone who might run with you? If not, where do you live?

Â