Running

trimandson

just did my 1st proper run for about 5 years...

distance: 1.86 miles/3km

average speed: 7.26m/h

fastest: 9.65m/h

time: 15m 25s

how is that for starters? i got a stitch after 2 minutes but i soldiered on till the end, i could do a lot better without it!

second run, same route tonight..

distance: 1.90miles/3.05km

average speed: 8.22mph / 13.23km/h

fastest: 10.44mph / 16.80km/h

time: 13m 51s

so i beat my time comfortably, but never again will i eat a burger 5 minutes before, i felt like death!

Well I have officially traded in these:

176002505.jpg

For these:

243552505.jpg

Started running on January 4th and I completed my first two 5km's this week. I feel great, I've lost 12lbs and my overall fitness has improved a massive amount.

I used the walk/run method to get to 5k, I'm still not running the whole distance of course but that is the goal in the next month or so. Then onto bigger and better distances.

I've done a few detox programs and my friend and I are completing strength training workouts 3 times a week with weights which have helped to tone as well as lose the weight from running. I have a 10 day pass at a David Lloyd gym when I return from holiday and then I start full time with Virgin Active second week in March. :)

I'm underweight.

But I'm not unhealthy.

I want to put on about a stone I reckon.

Pretty much this. Except I can't cos I've **** up my ankle. :x

Congrats Laura. Nice trainers too.

Where is the best place to get a pair of good running shoes from? Also is it best to have them fit tightly or a bit of room in them? (i.e I'm between an 8 and 9, 8's are very tight, 9's are a bit loose)

I've got 10 days (!) To waiut til I can get my ankle looked at, and possibly a length restriction on running after that. Great. I start to serious look at keeping fit through the medium of running and my body says "**** off". Stupid thing.

Went for a quick (i.e. moderately high speed) 2km or so run today. Knees hurt like hell now.

I think I need to change my trainers - how often are you supposed to change them?

Running in old or worn out shoes can lead to an increase in running injuries. Over time running shoes lose stability and shock absorption capacity. When this happens the stress to the feet and legs increases dramatically. Over time such added stress can lead to an overuse injury. A simple prevention strategy includes replacing running shoes when they wear out.

The midsole layer of a shoe provides the cushioning and stability. This area usually wears out before the outsole shows major signs of wear. When a midsole wears out the shoe looses functional stability. It is this loss of stability and cushioning that leads to increased stress and increased injury risk.

It is recommended that you replace running shoes between 350-550 miles depending on your running style, body weight, and the surface on which you run. Lighter runners can get closer to the upper end of the recommendation while heavier runners are harder on shoes and should consider replacement shoes closer to 350 miles.

Running Shoe Replacement Tips

•Track your mileage. After 350-550 miles it's time for a new pair. For runners who log 25 miles per week replace your shoes every three to four months.

•You can check for signs of wear on the sole by placing your old shoes on a table and looking at them from behind. If the soles are worn and leaning to one side, the midsole cushioning is probably worn as well.

Spotting Midsole Wear

A shoe's midsole cushioning may be worn out long before the tread shows signs of wear. Because the bottom and tread of the shoe may look fine, identifying when the cushioning is shot isn't easy to do. Here are some tips for identifying midsole wear:

•First, pay attention to how you feel. As your shoes begin to give out, you may begin to get some aches or pains in your bones and joints. You may also notice slight muscle fatigue, new tightness, or possible shin splints.

•Look for creasing of the midsole material in areas of high load (under the heel or the ball of the foot). A worn out midsole will have wrinkles and creases there.

•Try to twist the shoe. A worn out midsole will allow the shoe to twist more easily than a new shoe.

•Try on a new pair of the model that you are currently wearing. Compare this to your current shoes. If the cushioning in your shoes feels dead in comparison, it probably is.

Consider Rotating Shoes

If you run frequently it's a good idea to have more than one pair of shoes. Think about buying two pair at a time (or buying a second pair about midway through the life of your first). Add the new pair in to your shoe rotation when your "old" shoes have about 200 miles on them. If you use two pairs of shoes you should still track mileage per shoe, and replace each after it has 350-550 miles on it.

Clicky

Had a day off work today.

Nine mile run this afternoon, shower, big mug of tea and some of Mrs M's excellent homemade fruitcake. Feeling great now. One for the "Cheer you up thread", in fact.

how is that for starters? i got a stitch after 2 minutes but i soldiered on till the end, i could do a lot better without it!

so i beat my time comfortably, but never again will i eat a burger 5 minutes before, i felt like death!

That's very, very fast. Too fast I'd say unless you're going for short, sharp runs.

Have you tried any long distance runs?

how do people find out about organized runs? Is there a dedicated website?
Depends what you mean by "organised runs". Training/social runs? Or races?

For the former, find your local running club or gym. For the latter (actually the former too), there are loads of websites, best bet being Runners' World.

That's very, very fast. Too fast I'd say unless you're going for short, sharp runs.

Have you tried any long distance runs?

Well, not really very, VERY fast, but certainly respectable.

That equates to a 23m 23s 5K.

I'm an average club runner and my 5K PB is 20m 38s (set in my 50s).

But like Darren says, it's a narrow form of training. Good for speedwork, but for stamina and endurance mix it up with some longer, slower runs.

Well I finally bit the bullet and got out this morning. It was a massive shock to the system, it's amazing how quick you can lose your fitness. I haven't exercised since about September when I went the gym 3 times a week, and as you all will know, running on a treadmill is completely different to running outdoors.

Here is my run, as you can tell I'm not showing off :lol:

It was a massive shock to the system, I was hoping for a better run but at least I've started. I'll be hoping to do a lot better in the coming weeks. :thumb:

Well I finally bit the bullet and got out this morning. It was a massive shock to the system, it's amazing how quick you can lose your fitness. I haven't exercised since about September when I went the gym 3 times a week, and as you all will know, running on a treadmill is completely different to running outdoors.

Here is my run, as you can tell I'm not showing off :lol:

It was a massive shock to the system, I was hoping for a better run but at least I've started. I'll be hoping to do a lot better in the coming weeks. :thumb:

For someone who hasn't run in 5 months I'd say that's a pretty good time.

I'm basing this off my standards of course, so... :D

Did I mention it was a massive shock to the system? :lol: probably should have read it first.

I seemed to get a lot of flem, I'm hoping thats just down to my fitness as it wasn't very pleasant..

And MJ was right about the running jacket, I had to unzip it half way round.

Â