General Election Pre-Thread (1 of 6)

limpid

General Election Results 2024  

57 members have voted

1. 1. How many Labour MPs?

2. 2. How many Liberal Democrat MPs?

3. 3. How many Conservative MPs?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 29/05/24 at 17:00

15 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Shorter than I would have thought. Surely not though?! If reform really do get close to 10-15% nationally then maybe.

Theres a few things to take into account.

There are a good number of seats where the LibDems are the natural opposition (though Labour's strong position has lessened them for this election)

Tactical voting will be a thing in this election like never before, there are already a number of campaigns underway and some of them have people like Carol Vorderman leading the charge for them

The LibDems are strong in the South and South West (especially) and will mop up a good number of seats in that region.

I was conflicted in the poll above as my current thought is they'll get between 45 - 55 seats, I went for 50+ in the end but it is a very fine line

I'm also of the opinion that their vote share will be higher than their current (still pre GE announcement) place in the polls and as we get closer to the poll their numbers will rise with tactical voting to the 12-15% range. Up to this point people haven't really looked at where they live and how they'll vote if they vote tactically and that rather than policy will be where the LibDems rise.

You can also add in that in the local councils they won control of a good number of councils that weren't exactly expected, they are on something of a rise which isn't showing yet (IMO obviously)

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Deffo. Big game. 

I think I'll be staying up late with the popcorn for this one. 

49 minutes ago, bickster said:

Booked the 5th off work. Go to work, go to vote, go to bed. Get up at eleven, open bottle of wine. 
Then Party like Thatchers died again on the Friday

You lot are jinxing this

• Haha 2

I’ve tried to change my sleeping hours over the last 7 or 8 months.

I’ll be back to my nocturnal best for the 4th / 5th July.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

The most important issue is who will the  Daily Star endorse?

She’s 16 in four weeks and on her 16th birthday we will show her topless with nipples

1 minute ago, Follyfoot said:

She’s 16 in four weeks and on her 16th birthday we will show her topless with nipples

Mail Online wants its m.o. back.

6 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

The Sun and Times usually switch when it looks utterly hopeless for the tories. They might not necessarily back Labour but I can't see them giving Sunak a ringing endorsement.  Mail, Express and Telegraph are true blue. Though nowadays not sure how important a paper backing a political party is given the circulation figures. A social influencer is probably more important now.

With Brexit, the Mail was pro-leave but the Mail on Sunday was pro-remain bizarrely enough.  They may hedge their bets again.  I suspect the Sun will go for Labour as they have 'backed' the winners going back decades.

11 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

With Brexit, the Mail was pro-leave but the Mail on Sunday was pro-remain bizarrely enough.  They may hedge their bets again.  I suspect the Sun will go for Labour as they have 'backed' the winners going back decades.

Geordie Greig was editor at the time, and editor gets to choose. He's now at The Independent, which feels a bit more fitting. 

• Like 1

There are quite a few Tory constituencies that are yet to find a candidate, there were at least 30 last night but that will have risen with today's not standing again announcements. There’s a few Tory MPs that don’t yet have a seat to run in (due to the boundary changes) among them Stuart Andrew (seat abolished) and Richard Holden (abolished seat and refused to stand in North East again) the party chairman who will be running the campaign

This merry go round could be amusing in the coming days.

In other news Corbyn is standing in Islington North (announced a couple of hours ago)

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

In other news Corbyn is standing in Islington North (announced a couple of hours ago)

Good luck to him. Not particularly my politics and I'm not a fan of the bloke's personality, but I wouldn't be disappointed to see him win. 

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

Good ol' Catweazle. Harming Labour's chances of winning every time (as he has every right to do).

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, bickster said:

There’s a few Tory MPs that don’t yet have a seat to run in (due to the boundary changes) among them Stuart Andrew (seat abolished)

Wait, what? That's my MP - I was looking forward to watching his demise. Where did you see this? 

EDIT: Forget it, found it. I am disappoint, son. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Follyfoot said:

Off topic , but I was a teenager at the time, an I found it utterly disgusting these older girls had there boobies out. 😆

8 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

This.

The sun will try take credit for helping labour win.

I remember years ago a labour mp ripped up a sun news paper and the sun was going nits about it. Massive respect to that man

Bet that was a hairy moment 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ml1dch said:

Geordie Greig was editor at the time, and editor gets to choose. He's now at The Independent, which feels a bit more fitting. 

And also, Geordie Greig and Paul Dacre hate each other, so to a certain extent it was a big two fingers to him too

• Like 1

Really don’t see why we have to have this conversation about how many debates we should be having every time. Infuriating. Just put something in legislation to say that they have to have them on BBC, ITV and Sky, maybe channel 4 so they reach the most amount of people and be done with it.

Really not sure why Sunak is suggesting 6 of them. Does he want one on GBeebies or something?

Sir Keir on LBC a few minutes ago was asked his opinion on the failed Rwanda policy. To be fair, he got a laugh in our kitchen as he responded by saying it was like getting soaked standing in the rain without a brolly. More of this shithousery please Sir Keir.

5 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

Really don’t see why we have to have this conversation about how many debates we should be having every time. Infuriating. Just put something in legislation to say that they have to have them on BBC, ITV and Sky, maybe channel 4 so they reach the most amount of people and be done with it.

Really not sure why Sunak is suggesting 6 of them. Does he want one on GBeebies or something?

Why would he want 6 debates? He’s absolutely shite at them

42 minutes ago, bickster said:

Why would he want 6 debates? He’s absolutely shite at them

Premusably he thinks it's more likely that Starmer will **** up in some fashion like declaring he was best mates with Epstein or that it was him on the grassy knoll in 1963.

• Haha 1