Ronald Araújo

Greenfly

11 minutes ago, duke313 said:

These links to Araujo and the links to Hermoso, I wonder is Emery planning a change to the set up at the back? Similar to Pep and Arteta who don’t play traditional full backs.

Think it is certainly an option we want. Against very good teams you simply need the size and physicality the extra CBs provide. You give up some attacking impetus though hopefully that can be mitigated by the players being good passers and the increased threat from set pieces. If one of them can truly maraud forward as well and attack the back post the extra size there could result in knock downs or headers at the back post. 

Plus we simply need the rotation options. We had 4 CBs this season and at times we were down to just the 2. Next year will be even more grueling with more difficult fixtures and at least the same number or more games if we progress an extra round in the cups and make the playoffs in the UCL. If Konsa and Hermoso are our backup LB or RB (or even starting as the case may be) you simply need to have more cover than just 2 players. If cash had gotten hurt at the same time as cakros and Pau who would we have been playing RB or RCB? Chambers? Dendoncker? Kamara maybe? 

Barca could do with a LB so the return of the Digne or Moreno makes more sense than Carlos as they’re pretty stocked with CB’s. I’d try and offer them buendia - all champ manager fantasy I get it but one can but have some fun speculating 

2 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Barca could do with a LB so the return of the Digne or Moreno makes more sense than Carlos as they’re pretty stocked with CB’s. I’d try and offer them buendia - all champ manager fantasy I get it but one can but have some fun speculating 

Do they? They have Marcos Alonso and Balde who’s very highly rated.

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

Do they? They have Marcos Alonso and Balde who’s very highly rated.

Balde is prime asset for sale and I think they are releasing Alonso … may be wrong 

Oh come on isn’t this player supposed to be like 70 or 80 million? Aka more or a less a world record fee for a centre back?

not happening

8 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Oh come on isn’t this player supposed to be like 70 or 80 million? Aka more or a less a world record fee for a centre back?

not happening

Before negotiating down. Barca also really need to sell 1 or 2 players they dint want to sell with the 130 mil euro hole they are in. 

Selling him for 65 mil euros would be big for them. 

I don't know if we should pay that for him nor do I know if he would want tk join us. But there are financial reasons that make it seem doable to me. 

59 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Before negotiating down. Barca also really need to sell 1 or 2 players they dint want to sell with the 130 mil euro hole they are in. 

Selling him for 65 mil euros would be big for them. 

I don't know if we should pay that for him nor do I know if he would want tk join us. But there are financial reasons that make it seem doable to me. 

it doesn't seem likely a starter wants to leave barca for villa and the fee is out of our range unless we are selling one of the two circa 100m players we have to fund a huge summer transfer spend.

8 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

If we're spending £70m on a player, it shouldn't be a centre half.

Unless you consider that the most urgent requirement in our team is to bolster our leaky defence? 

What if Unai and Monchi think of it in this way..... Sell Luiz for £90m which leaves room for Tielemans to play from the start and use that £90m to buy a star centre back? The net gain is we bolster our defence greatly and level out in midfield. 

This is a rumour which makes sense from a football point of view for Villa. Our defence has been the weakest point of the team this season.

It’s a bit weird as last season our defence was the real strength once Unai came in. However we have had a long term weakness in the air ( if you remember Gerrard used to go on about players with the right profile by which he seemed to mean height, strength and speed). It’s a real problem defending set pieces that means anything a set piece coach does is just papering over the cracks.The main foundation for that solidity at the end of last season was the Mings Konsa partnership. Pau and Konsa don’t have quite the same balance of attributes. Mings and Konsa as a partnership don’t have the ball playing style that Unai wants us to have so that we can control games from the back.

Carlos was Gerrard’s solution but it hasn’t worked out most of the time. He has all the attributes to be physically dominant but injuries and at times concentration have stopped him from becoming the solution. Given his age and reported wages I would sell Carlos and bring in someone else.

With Mings injured there has been an huge lack of physicality in defence. Konsa and Pau are great but aggressive physicality is not their strong point. Mings will hopefully bring that as an option for the left cb role. It makes sense to have it as an option for the RCB role also.

So for me it would be a priority position.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Icarium said:
9 hours ago, ender4 said:

Chambers, Hause and Dendoncker for Ronald.

'Replaced in the aggregate'

Like the anti-Purslow deal.   Purslow was sell one to buy three, this is sell three to buy one.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Like don't get me wrong, this would be the biggest and one of the best signings ever for this club. He would be the solution to a lot of our defensive problems, he is aerially dominant in top 3% of CBs for that plus he's incredible on the ball and only just turned 25. It's just there's no way he would join us as if he was for sale there are a list of top clubs who would jump at the chance to sign him. 

If we could pull this off it would be the coup of the century for Villa. He would cost £60m+ minimum though. 

Edited by CVByrne

It would be very exciting and a huge statement of where we are now… but it doesn’t really feel like a Monchi signing. We’ve invested hugely in scouting and development, and got him in to spearhead it all and we go for a £100m CB from Barca… sounds unlikely I think