Euro 2024: Group C (Denmark, England, Serbia, Slovenia)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

limpid

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Wharton in is an interesting one.

How do you go the last year of selecting the same old boys in qualifiers and friendlies, then select someone in the squad who's never got a cap. The bloke's a **** idiot.

Which means to me that he is staying on 😁

3 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Which squad should he have picked Wharton in before now? Since he joined Palace he's been one of the standout players in his position in the league, which is also one of the biggest holes England need to fill.

It would be silly not to take him. 

We had a friendly less than 2 months ago

Just makes me laugh we can have the same old lads in, match after match, and then we get some new blood announced for a serious tournament.

Toney being in is absolutely outrageous as well. 4 goals in 16, he's been piss poor since he came back, but Gaz seems desperate to rehabilitate him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Just makes me laugh we can have the same old lads in, match after match, and then we get some new blood announced for a serious tournament.

At the time of those friendlies he'd played five matches for Palace, and they'd lost three of them. Since those friendlies, he's shown that he's exactly the sort of player that England are current missing. So he gets called up when his performances merit it.

Given it appears to have come down to a choice between him or Henderson would you have rather Southgate has gone that way instead?

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Which squad should he have picked Wharton in before now? Since he joined Palace he's been one of the standout players in his position in the league, which is also one of the biggest holes England need to fill.

It would be silly not to take him. 

I think the arguement is the lack of consistant logic in the bloke's head. Previously he wanted to keep a certain set of players and not giving anyone new a chance, now the last call up to a tournament he suddenly call up someone who has been in good form for the last 3 motnhs or so with no cap. Its a lottery, if your form is good towards the end of season you are in. if you had great form in mid season you are likely to miss out. (Konsa)

Edited by HongKongVillan
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It’s the training squad which will be cut down for tournament selection. I’m pleased for the Palace players though.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HongKongVillan said:

I think the arguement is the lack of consistant logic in the bloke's head. Previously he wanted to keep a certain set of players and not giving anyone new a chance, now the last call up to a tournament he suddenly call up someone who has been in good form for the last 3 motnhs or so with no cap. Its a lottery, if your form is good towards the end of season you are in. if you had great form in nid season you are likely to miss out.

Yeah this is it. In principle I applaud dropping Henderson and giving some younger players a go based on form, not what they were doing in 2018-2021, I'm just absolutely baffled it's taken to this point - obviously Wharton wasn't playing at this point but there was no English midfielder worth giving a shot when Henderson was dicking around in Saudi Arabia?

Better late than never, I guess.

Lewis Dunk also in, yep Konsa gonna miss it. Gutted for him, hope he declares for Portugal now. 

He's struggled at right back at times but he's one of the most consistent centre backs in the league. 

• Shocked 1

5 minutes ago, HongKongVillan said:

I think the arguement is the lack of consistant logic in the bloke's head. Previously he wanted to keep a certain set of players and not giving anyone new a chance, now the last call up to a tournament he suddenly call up someone who has been in good form for the last 3 motnhs or so with no cap. Its a lottery, if your form is good towards the end of season you are in. if you had great form in nid season you are likely to miss out.

In March Konsa, Gordon and Mainoo all made their debuts. The international break before that, Lewis and Palmer did. A month before that Colwill and Nketiah did. Seems like this time a couple more will. 

2 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

Lewis Dunk also in, yep Konsa gonna miss it. Gutted for him, hope he declares for Portugal now. 

He's struggled at right back at times but he's one of the most consistent centre backs in the league. 

Dunk was terrible in those March games. Konsa did o.k and can cover RB so little logic for that.

Just now, VillaChris said:

Dunk was terrible in those March games. Konsa did o.k and can cover RB so little logic for that.

Yeah I've rarely seen a defender keep Vinicius so quiet as well, yet his reward seems to be no place. 

11 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

It’s the training squad which will be cut down for tournament selection. I’m pleased for the Palace players though.

Same here. It’s just utterly baffling how he’s picked Toney. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Yeah this is it. In principle I applaud dropping Henderson and giving some younger players a go based on form, not what they were doing in 2018-2021, I'm just absolutely baffled it's taken to this point - obviously Wharton wasn't playing at this point but there was no English midfielder worth giving a shot when Henderson was dicking around in Saudi Arabia?

Nobody springs to mind. Is there someone you feel was overlooked?

In the absence of someone obvious whose place Henderson was taking at the time (as it would be now with Wharton), the solution was to try and fit someone else there and Alexander-Arnold and Gallagher were tried, with mixed results. 

Are we sure Southgate not got replaced by someone? Suddenly picking in-form players over his favourites feels extremely weird, but good for the team. Konsa was brilliant in those two friendlies but his dip in form has been stark past 2 months, though not sure how Dunk makes in it somehow. 

Â