Football Rivalries

9 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

No way should Everton and Liverpool be that high.

Liverpool's only real rival is Man United, not the "holding hands" derby with Everton.

I also don't see Rangers and Celtic as worse tan Villa/Blues. Certainly not these days.

And as for Palace/Brighton, that just isn't a derby/rivalry worth mentioning full stop in my view.

There has been quite a bit of crowd trouble in the Liverpool derby in recent years. It seems to have turned nasty recently for some reason. 

17 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

I’ve never got a the Cov hate. Their fans always try and give me banter, but I’m like, we barely recognise you as a club let alone a rival. 

thats how ze germans see england fans....

How would we rank England’s rivals/teams we particularly like to win against?

Scotland, Germany and Argentina I would say are the main three, the order is up for debate. For a little while years ago I feel like Portugal were becoming a bit of an unlikeable foe for English supporters.

1 minute ago, Mark Albrighton said:

How would we rank England’s rivals/teams we particularly like to win against?

Scotland, Germany and Argentina I would say are the main three, the order is up for debate. For a little while years ago I feel like Portugal were becoming a bit of an unlikeable foe for English supporters.

I think you've picked the main three, and I suspect from the average England fan's perspective the order these days is Scotland, Argentina, Germany. The Germany thing feels a lot less intense than when I was a kid. 

• Like 1

Id say, England’s biggest rivals is 

1. Germany (theirs is Netherlands)

2. Argentina (theirs is Brazil)

3. Scotland (theirs is England, but Scotland is a bit shit to take seriously)

so England really doesn’t have a rival, just foes

16 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

😂 true, their big rivals are Netherlands and vise versa 

Germany I think considers Italy the main football rival over Netherlands

There's a decent non-league rivalry too. Tamworth v Nuneaton is rather nasty, the last game was abandoned due to crowd trouble and violence. That might stem from the town's hating each other though. There'd always be fights when we played them at rugby and I'm not proud to admit I was involved in a bad one at U14 level many decades ago.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Had a little look and surprisingly couldn’t find any existing thread on the subject. So instead of clogging up a league one club’s thread with the matter, here we are.

Jumping off point with this table from @mjmooney.

IMG_4499.jpeg.0ae8b90f901cfcc8de34a70499cb551b.jpeg

I think rivalries from other leagues and countries can be discussed too. Doesn’t have to be derbies, an unusually heightened mutual disliking between two clubs is sufficient. However unlikely that hatred may be. That means Palace/Brighton are up for discussion as are Man Utd and Liverpool who I suspect would probably choose each other as their least favourite rivals.

Following on from the conversation about WBA/Wolves, that is a bit of a fractious affair. I wonder if it’s been put the ranking it has been because (1) it hasn’t been played too much in recent years, (2) Albion’s historical dislike of us dilutes it a bit, as does (3) Wolves’ more recent ill feeling matches with us too.

i know it's not your table...my thoughts are that the rivalries involving the manc/liverpool/and north london teams are too high. they're too touristy now as clubs to have any sort of fierce rivalry.

saints v portsmouth is waaaaay too low (should be on par with villa and blues). as is cardiff v swansea.

imagine the bristol derby to be too low too as i know they're both quite lairy fanbases? problem is they've not played each other in years. similar with stoke vs port vale (should also be fairly highly ranked but not even on the list)

do leeds not have any close rivals or does everyone just hate them?

anyone got any from their local non league clubs? dorchester vs poole is a local one for me (wonderfully nicknamed "el jurassico")

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

We were having this same debate on one of my WhatsApp groups, and agreed that it was, as one of my mates put it, "L666ds vs everyone". 

Edited by mjmooney

4 hours ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Cardiff/swansea is huge. Always a ding dong between the fans 

swim away

Posted (edited)

Millwall West Ham should be in a higher band 

No Chelsea Spurs either

Edited by Follyfoot

For what it’s worth, I feel like Spurs’ games with Chelsea have had a bit more about them than their games against Arsenal in recent times.

And, relatively speaking I might add, I think of the dynamic of the sky six, I’ve sensed more antagonism between, Liverpool and Chelsea than I have say, Liverpool and Arsenal. There’s little nuances that seem to attach themselves between certain match ups.

Because of what they are, Man City are sort of bloodless in this regard. Kinda anodyne. I’m not picking up Schmeichel v Wright vibes.

from a few years ago

https://fanbanter.co.uk/the-top-five-rivals-of-english-footballs-top-92-clubs-revealed/

The top five rivals of English football’s top 92 clubs has been revealed and it’s got many supporters talking about it online.

The 2019 study, which has been named ‘The League of Love And Hate’, has been carried out, with tens of thousands of football fans said to have responded to it, to find out the biggest rivals of England’s top clubs.

Poor Exeter vs Argyle seems to be forgotten by everyone on here, even with it being on the graph.

Guess it's too far away for most people to appreciate. 

Don't underestimate a group of angry farmers, all drunk on cider.

Screenshot_20240517_164954_Chrome.jpg

7 hours ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

This is a wild take

Have you been to Blues away? And not in the secure coaches?

Not trying to be a smart arse but have you?

5 hours ago, Jonesy7211 said:

Tamworth v Nuneaton is rather nasty, the last game was abandoned due to crowd trouble and violence. That might stem from the town's hating each other though.

That one was an evening kick off scheduled on the same day as the Atherstone ball game.  What did they expect? :crylaugh:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, tomav84 said:

i know it's not your table...my thoughts are that the rivalries involving the manc/liverpool/and north london teams are too high. they're too touristy now as clubs to have any sort of fierce rivalry.

saints v portsmouth is waaaaay too low (should be on par with villa and blues). as is cardiff v swansea.

imagine the bristol derby to be too low too as i know they're both quite lairy fanbases? problem is they've not played each other in years. similar with stoke vs port vale (should also be fairly highly ranked but not even on the list)

anyone got any from their local non league clubs? dorchester vs poole is a local one for me (wonderfully nicknamed "el jurassico")

@tomav84 so right! Having been around both, for me the Pompey Southampton rivalry beats Villa Blues. Not sure why that is, maybe because Southampton and Pompey are similar in size. Blues really can't shine a light on us - although when they get their 60k stadium and have won the FA Cup, league and Champions League back to back to back to back to back to back ...  maybe then in the next 50 years or so they might have earned the right. Also, we don't play often enough because they aren't good enough, just hope we dont draw them in the FA Cup 3rd round next year - that's assuming they make it that far and haven't blown their wad on the Bristol Street Motors cup

I lived up in Leeds for a year, I thoroughly loved my time there - even considered relocating, brilliant city, brilliant people, Leeds FC though can do one.

• Like 1

Â