Football Rivalries

Had a little look and surprisingly couldn’t find any existing thread on the subject. So instead of clogging up a league one club’s thread with the matter, here we are.

Jumping off point with this table from @mjmooney.

IMG_4499.jpeg.0ae8b90f901cfcc8de34a70499cb551b.jpeg

I think rivalries from other leagues and countries can be discussed too. Doesn’t have to be derbies, an unusually heightened mutual disliking between two clubs is sufficient. However unlikely that hatred may be. That means Palace/Brighton are up for discussion as are Man Utd and Liverpool who I suspect would probably choose each other as their least favourite rivals.

Following on from the conversation about WBA/Wolves, that is a bit of a fractious affair. I wonder if it’s been put the ranking it has been because (1) it hasn’t been played too much in recent years, (2) Albion’s historical dislike of us dilutes it a bit, as does (3) Wolves’ more recent ill feeling matches with us too.

No way should Everton and Liverpool be that high.

Liverpool's only real rival is Man United, not the "holding hands" derby with Everton.

I also don't see Rangers and Celtic as worse tan Villa/Blues. Certainly not these days.

And as for Palace/Brighton, that just isn't a derby/rivalry worth mentioning full stop in my view.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I think rivalries from other leagues and countries can be discussed too.

The Stockholm Derby between the 1891 twin clubs AIK and Djurgården is rather nasty. 90s was particularly bad from my memory with flying bricks, charges and police-horses everywhere. One of the reasons I avoided the Brum derby for so long because I'm not particularly fond of that over the top hatred.

It's a little better these days but there is always something each year that goes wrong, be it a public fight or bangers being thrown.

TIFOS are world-class though

maxresdefault.jpg RmAM4JS.jpeg

• Like 2

we've definitely had a thread like this before

if you're allowed to play a regular league game at 8pm on a Tuesday night you're not a real derby...the B tier is suspect for that reason and i think the sheffield derby broke our record for the biggest police presence at a football match 

and the worlds best derbies are those with a reason to supporting each team, to my knowledge the religious side of the old firm is the only one that ticks that box* (beyond not shagging your sister and shagging your sister in the 2nd city derby)

* river vs boca is rich part of the city vs poor part, the big egyptian derby is related to pro britain and anti britain, you can argue real vs barca is franco vs the catalans but thats getting lost on the global stage, fenerbahce vs galatasary is the asian (muslim) side of the city vs the european side

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

Cardiff and Swansea is a more intense rivalry than a lot of the ones ranked higher here IMO. Certainly more so than Utd/City or Liverpool/Everton

Cardiff/swansea is huge. Always a ding dong between the fans 

• Like 1

Glad the second city horror show gets the recognition it deserves.

Sheffield and Bristol should be higher though.  Both notably nasty derbies when they happen.

37 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

* river vs boca is rich part of the city vs poor part, the big egyptian derby is related to pro britain and anti britain, you can argue real vs barca is franco vs the catalans but thats getting lost on the global stage, fenerbahce vs galatasary is the asian (muslim) side of the city vs the european side

El Clasico isnt a derby, its over 600km away from each other and not even in same region

Sevilla derby is the biggest derby in Spain and is not really much competition to it

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Had a little look and surprisingly couldn’t find any existing thread on the subject. So instead of clogging up a league one club’s thread with the matter, here we are.

Jumping off point with this table from @mjmooney.

IMG_4499.jpeg.0ae8b90f901cfcc8de34a70499cb551b.jpeg

I think rivalries from other leagues and countries can be discussed too. Doesn’t have to be derbies, an unusually heightened mutual disliking between two clubs is sufficient. However unlikely that hatred may be. That means Palace/Brighton are up for discussion as are Man Utd and Liverpool who I suspect would probably choose each other as their least favourite rivals.

Following on from the conversation about WBA/Wolves, that is a bit of a fractious affair. I wonder if it’s been put the ranking it has been because (1) it hasn’t been played too much in recent years, (2) Albion’s historical dislike of us dilutes it a bit, as does (3) Wolves’ more recent ill feeling matches with us too.

Yeah, I thought Man U v Liverpool was way bigger a rivalry than Man U v City.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Geographical, what’s the longest distance rivalry? 

AC and Inter got to be the closest, sharing a stadium and that 

Not the same league but Bayern and Real have a pretty famous and heated European rivalry and they are about 2000km apart

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Not the same league but Bayern and Real have a pretty famous and heated European rivalry and they are about 2000km apart

True, yet I doubt they would even make each others top 3 big rivals 

Leeds fans will be down in London the same weekend as Manchester City and United fans will be there for the FA Cup final.

Leeds and ManUre have previous. 

• Shocked 1

11 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

True, yet I doubt they would even make each others top 3 big rivals 

Probably in Bayern since they don't really have any rivals since the media tried to manufacture a recent Dortmund one

• Like 1

Depends whether we're talking rivalry or hatred. 

There's no 'rivalry' as such between Villa and sha. Or Villa and (snigger) Coventry. 

But in each case, the lesser clubs bitterly hate us. 

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Depends whether we're talking rivalry or hatred. 

There's no 'rivalry' as such between Villa and sha. Or Villa and (snigger) Coventry. 

But in each case, the lesser clubs bitterly hate us. 

I’ve never got a the Cov hate. Their fans always try and give me banter, but I’m like, we barely recognise you as a club let alone a rival. 

• Like 1

However you want to view it. A heightened mutual dislike of each other/rivalry/hatred. Whatever. However trivial or innocuous the reason for the dynamic.

Basically not just local derbies. Because that boils the conversation down to geography and it’s kinda limiting.

Â