What's your favorite action-hero film?

Marka Ragnos

Posted (edited)

Or maybe you'd just rather say who your favorite action hero is from film? Or maybe you want to debate what an action hero even is? In any case, I'd love to read what you guys think.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

Posted (edited)

I saw someone in another best of thread decrying the naming of the best thing first on a best of thread, but I'm sure this one won't do that lol.

And yet, weirdly, this very midgrade action hero is my favorite.

The cringe jingoism, the ridiculous storyline, the cheesy early 90s haircuts and kung-fu kicks, etc. -- it's got it all, with most of it served up with a complete lack of irony and lots of unintentionally funny dialogue. There's nothing logically great about this film on any level ... and yet, I'm convinced Steven Seagal is the perfect iteration of an action hero on film. He's really in peak form in this one, and so is the genre, perhaps? In general, I have a fondness for cheesy action movies with little 80s touches, like guys with Uzi submachine guns and little pony-tails, and this film never stops giving cheese. Any whiff of over-cleverness or cultural seriousness, and I'm pretty much out, but Under Siege is simple -- Seagal and his sexy bunny versus 40 guys with automatic weapons and "Secret Service" earpieces and Tommy Lee Jones.

Or maybe this film is better than I'm giving it credit for? I honestly don't know. But it's perfect comfort-watching bollocks from top to bottom.

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1

Not a genre I have much love for, but I thought I'd try and think of one that I like. Nothing coming to mind so far. 

Maybe Indiana Jones at a pinch. 

• Like 1

Back in the day anything with Arnie.

More recetly Sisu was teriffic!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Difficult one to pitch this because you may like an action hero that forms part of a franchise or just a stand alone movie?

James Bond is probably my favourite action hero but I do love the Bond franchise. Indiana Jones, Die Hard, Rambo, Bourne Identity, John Wick and Mission Impossible being others and yep, anything early Arnie!

Some late night popcorn action movies are the best though when bored  - Under Seige, Speed, Commando, Predator, Face Off, The Rock, Point Break, Top Gun, Aliens, Patriot Games, Olympus has Fallen, Air Force One, Taken etc. Don’t have to think too much, just enjoy.

So many to choose from and so many I haven’t thought off. 

Edited by ferguson1
  • Thanks 1

agree with anything with arnie

seeing as aliens is the best action film ripley is up there

Indiana Jones, John McClane

i strangely wouldnt automatically consider james bond an action film in the same sense as those movies, not sure what i'd class them as

• Like 2

Just now, sidcow said:

Oh, I interpreted this as Super Hero ignore me 

Need a new lightbulb in the shed

• Haha 2

Jackie Chan's Rumble in the Bronx. Not an especially good film at all, however it introduced me to Asian action movies, and in particular the Infernal Affairs films, Crime Story, Hard Boiled, and some of the spectacular epics featuring old China and Japan.

On 16/05/2024 at 04:57, Marka Ragnos said:

Under Siege

Im very certain Jones and Busey agreed to do that movie on the condition that they could make up the dialog as they went along.

Its a **** glorious masterpiece when they get going 🙏

• Haha 1

There’s one tweak I’d make to make Predator better… simply cut out the first scene of the predator landing on earth. So the audience is in the same mindset as the characters, “what is this thing” 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tegis said:

Im very certain Jones and Busey agreed to do that movie on the condition that they could make up the dialog as they went along.

Its a **** glorious masterpiece when they get going 🙏

Busey as a drag queen psycho-killer and Jones channeling some kind of Charles Manson meets Jerry Rubin revolutionary --- it's beyond the beyond.

Jerry Rubin:

spacer.png

Tommy Lee Jones in Under Siege:

spacer.png

Â