maqroll

3 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Yep, even Pot 2 has:

Juventus

Milan

Athletico

Benfica

Bayer Leverkusen

Plus Atalanta, Club Brugge, and Shakhtar Donetsk.

Atalanta in pot 2 not Bologna?

39 minutes ago, romavillan said:

We might get a couple of Italian teams, already got sofas lined up in Bologna and Milan...

I can sleep on the floor, no worries. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Plenty of big clubs to go around. From the 8 we definitely play, we'd be very unlikely to not have a few crackers in there. Much the better format from that POV for me.

3 hours ago, CarryOnVilla said:

10 years ago, we were a broken club with the owner giving up and actively trying to sell us to anyone. 

8 years ago, we were relegated from the Premier League 

6 years ago, we were broke and near extinction 

5 years ago, we were hoping to win a championship play off and just play prem football was the dream.  

You missed a bit. 

2 years ago we were being mismanaged by an incompetent charlatan and heading for relegation back to the Championship. 

• Thanks 2

So... realistically, looking at this new format competition, and how its our first time playing in it since in became the Champions League, what would we be happy with in terms of progression?

Personally I think it would be fantastic to reach the knock out stage at all and maybe, just maybe reach a quarter final. That would exceed my expectations and make the rest of Europe sit up and take notice 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NorthEastVillan said:

So... realistically, looking at this new format competition, and how its our first time playing in it since in became the Champions League, what would we be happy with in terms of progression?

Personally I think it would be fantastic to reach the knock out stage at all and maybe, just maybe reach a quarter final. That would exceed my expectations and make the rest of Europe sit up and take notice 

I think it's a superb platform to put into practice what we have learnt this season, but with a better squad. There's no precedent but I wouldn't be surprised to see us in a bracket of teams below Real and Bayern, which would put us into the knock outs and how far we go is an open book. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

I think it's a superb platform to put into practice what we have learnt this season, but with a better squad. There's no precedent but I wouldn't be surprised to see us in a bracket of teams below Real and Bayern, which would put us into the knock outs and how far we go is an open book. 

To get in that bracket and sustain a top four challenge we'll need at least 4 top players to come in.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, NorthEastVillan said:

i would be disappointed not to make the play off round to be honest. i think it's very much achievable. after that, what will be will be.

i expect there to be a big name or 2 in that bottom 8 if they have a couple of bad results, and a good few of the top teams will not go through automatically to the last 16

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, romavillan said:

To get in that bracket and sustain a top four challenge we'll need at least 4 top players to come in.

I'd take 2 and the guarantee of no long term injuries - which of course is not how it works. 4's doable, surely. 

Just looking at the new format am I right in thinking our first game in Europe won’t be until mid/end of September? If so that’s a much better situation than playing conference league games against hibs in July or maybe august. The players hopefully will play far less games and fingers crossed less injuries 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, NorthEastVillan said:

The Playoffs would be our aim.

6 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I'd take 2 and the guarantee of no long term injuries - which of course is not how it works. 4's doable, surely. 

DM, striker, RB... struggling to come up with a 4th. We're pretty stacked everywhere else, injuries permitting of course.

10 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

The Playoffs would be our aim.

Ideally the top half of the play-offs so you play someone who just scraped into the play-offs rather than someone who just missed out on automatic qualification.

20 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Yes...and we don't have the FFP headroom to do it. That's why clubs like ours can never replicate top 4 finishes. If Unai and monchi manage it then they need to be given the keys to the city and access to every villa WAG.

28 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Anything beyond the group stage, would be great. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, romavillan said:

This is the thing now. We need to manage the league properly to make sure we're in at consistently for years to come. Bring it on!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

Bologna are pot 4 apparently

Weird they've finished third probably and are a really good side. Atalanta will max finish 5th probably.

Â