Champions League 2024/25

maqroll

23 minutes ago, BG_Villa_Fan said:

A nice combination of both would be the best. If we could get a couple of easier(ish) teams at home and manage to win this would bring more money and also 6-8 points might be enough to get to the playoff round, or whatever it’s called.

This for me. But its usually 10 points geta you through the group but 2 extra games might increase points

It be all great fun whoever we get

5 hours ago, Genie said:

Anyone else look at Matty Cash’s happy little face in the pictures last night think “you’ll be watching on TV”. 

He'll be starting at RW at the CL final if we have anywhere near the injury crisis we had this season. 

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

This for me. But its usually 10 points geta you through the group but 2 extra games might increase points

Probably 15-16 points I would say.

40 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Is there any point in predicting who we'll get?  There could be any number of combinations.

Each team will play 2 from Pot 1, Pot 2, Pot 3 and Pot 4 in the new 'league' format.

Posted (edited)

This will sound odd but we probably have more of a chance if lifting the Champions League than we do the Premier league and we were not far off being title contenders in the league this season. We will play some weaker teams than we face in the Premier league imho.

Edited by Captain_Townsend

2 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

This will sound odd but we probably have more of a chance if lifting the Champions League than we do the Premier league and we were not far off being title contenders in the league this season. We will play some weaker teams than we face in the Premier league imho.

In theory I agree, but look at some of our conference league performances, especially away

We'll be better prepared, hopefully have a fitter, deeper squad, have some experience of these kind of nights, but it'll be another level of pressure, those big european nights seemed to intimidate us a little bit.

14 hours ago, picicata said:

You see those draw pots and you think 'this going to be tough!'.

Of course it's going to be tough. We're in it.

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

In theory I agree, but look at some of our conference league performances, especially away

We'll be better prepared, hopefully have a fitter, deeper squad, have some experience of these kind of nights, but it'll be another level of pressure, those big european nights seemed to intimidate us a little bit.

Well, we will benefit from not playing on a Thursday any more, and we will have been seasoned by the experience of Playing in Europe this season. Also, we have Emery!

It's terribly exciting to think how well we could do next season if we manage to avoid any more season-long injuries to key players, or indeed any lengthy absences at all really.

How does it look for that fifth CL spot next season too? It's going to be a competitive league, if we're able to progress far in a cup and even get into the knockout rounds of the CL, it would be nice to have slightly less pressure in the league.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't want luck in the draw

I don't want us in this competition to get easy teams. I don't want to be playing Leipzig, Brugge and Glimt. I want the giants.

I honestly don't care if we go out in the "group" stage. I'd like us to go through, sure. But I'd honestly rather play Bayern, Real Madrid, Juventus, PSG etc and go out in the "group" than play the easier teams in the competition and go through.

In future seasons it would be different. But for this one I want the occasion, not necessarily the results

No one cares who you played in the previous rounds, its all about winning it.

I think getting to the playoff round is the target. We need to be better than 9 other teams to achieve that. So coming 27th or better of the 36 teams gets to Playoffs. 

That is very possible in new format as the seeding doesn't matter as much as the old format as you could get 3 very good teams when 4th seed. Now we draw and play 2 from each seeding group and our own seeding is irrelevant to us really 

11 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Each team will play 2 from Pot 1, Pot 2, Pot 3 and Pot 4 in the new 'league' format.

OK I will go for us playing Real Madrid, PSG, Juventus, Benfica, Feyenoord, Celtic, Sparta Prage, AEK Athens.

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Zatman said:

That was the old format though. In the new one all 36 teams are in the same table and you’d have to end up 28th or better to advance, which is why I think it could be way less than 10 points needed, especially since all clubs play different opponents.

Edit: think I got it wrong and more teams get knocked out. Whatever. We’re in. We’ve made it.

Edited by BG_Villa_Fan

This has to be the beginning, the sliding doors moment. We have our new brand launch, we have AV150, we've filmed this season for a documentary. Heck is delivering on the commercial side and now he has Champions League to push the commercial side to next level. 

If you look at the big 6, the amount of money they actually make from Champions League is not a big proportion of their income because their commercial revenue is so big. They regularly compete in Europe and that is what they have built their commercial revenue on.

29 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

Probably 15-16 points I would say.

No chance it will be that high to qualify. Max points available to win all games is just 24. We only need to finish in the top 24. 9/10 points should be more than enough I would imagine, maybe even less gets you top 24, hard to know for sure. 

• Like 2

Â