Pre Match Thread - Cup Final 10 of 10

its gonna be so weird, to be able to watch a Villa game, without any stress, anxiety, pressure, or anything else that makes my sphincter twitch.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, RichW said:

Trying to remember the last time Villa played and I couldn't care less what the result was. Last season we were chasing Europe, season before we played Man City so was hoping we could spoil the party, 2021 was the first game back with 10k fans in so wanted us to win and 2020 we had to stay up on the last day. 

Hope Watkins scores his 20th league goal but that's about it really. Expect Olise/Eze/Mateta to make it an uncomfortable afternoon for us and beat us. 

Probably 2019 when we put a mix and match team out v Norwich to save legs for the play off. Lost in the last minute but it wasn't a big deal as everyone could see we weren't 100% in that match.

Probably same here and given we usually struggle at Selhurst can see us losing this 3-2.

I'd like for us to end the season with a win, especially since our form hasn't been so great lately. It would help Ollie reach 20 and POTS and Unai MOTS.

• Like 2

We're a midfielder short of being able to play the way we want to, which makes things really difficult.

We could put Iroegbunam in from the start, but he's been reluctant to to do that, or we could play four forwards and really go for it.

Something like:

------------------------Martinez---------------------

Konsa------Carlos-------Torres------Digne

-----------------Luiz---------McGinn-------------

Bailey-------------------------------------------------

-------Diaby------Duran-------Watkins------

Or:

------------------------Martinez---------------------

Konsa------Carlos-------Torres------Digne

--------------Luiz---------Iroegbunam---------

Bailey--------------------------------------McGinn

---------Diaby--------Watkins--------------------

Second one seems a bit more balanced - but with Kamara, Ramsey, Rodgers, Tielemans, Buendia, Zaniolo and even emergency option Cash all out it's hard to pick a side that works.

I guess we could give Kellyman a start?

• Like 1

Martinez
KKH, Konsa, Lenglet, Digne
Diaby, Iroegbunam, Luiz, McGinn
Kellyman, Watkins

Duran probably deserves a start but he can come on the second Ollie gets his 20th.

56 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

I'd like for us to end the season with a win, especially since our form hasn't been so great lately. It would help Ollie reach 20 and POTS and Unai MOTS.

Few days ago I didn’t care about this result as was just happy we qualified but given the narrative that we’ve been dependent on spurs giving it to us, I’d like us to win or at least draw to prove that we would have achieved it regardless of their last 3 result. I’m not going to stress about it or anything but a decent result and an Ollie goal would be a perfect end.

5 minutes ago, VillaBrum said:

I can't see Ollie in the training pics ☹️

There was a shot yesterday of him doing gym work the club put on X.

I think Watkins will start so he can try get to 20 goals and keep his top assists. 

I think we'll see KKH and Kellyman get mins off the bench. 

13 hours ago, Dodgyknees said:

If we lose this can Man United catch us?

Need to be careful seeing as Spurs are winning every week, then there's Newcastle and Chelsea...

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

Thanks for that. Looks like it was on Twitter - I don't look at Twitter/TikTok or any of those. That's the one of him doing the gym work, isn't it?  He certainly looks raring to go. Plenty of pics of Duran on the OS, so, hopefully, he gets a start or, at least, some meaningful minutes.

On 14/05/2024 at 11:11, BOF said:

This has been a fairly special season for many reasons. Let's finish it off in style. Hopefully by tonight (Tuesday) Man City will have sealed our place in the Champions League. If not, then we have a job to do.

On a related note, after last night's 3 goals, this is now our 5th most prolific season in our history. 4th in the top flight (74/75 was tier 2). A couple of goals against Palace and we'll match the '74/75 effort.

4c63ccf0ebd21506ce153e00a7c1f3fa.png

I remember that 74/75 season. Every player scored a goal except, Coombs, the goalkeeper. Incidentally, he was offered to take the penalty against Sunderland in the final game of the season, but declined. 

Must have been 28'000 in the Holte that day against Sunderland, baking hot too.

I just hope Ollie gets the 20th. He deserves that, and the player of the year, especially when you consider the no penalties factor. 

Come on me Babbys!