Pre Match Thread - Cup Final 10 of 10

4 hours ago, Django_Zooms said:

Outrageous libel. Chris Sutton on BBC website: "They have probably been on the lash to celebrate since Tottenham lost against Manchester City on Tuesday, so I am going with a Palace win."

I think Sutton is a d***k but have to agree with him here why should they be any different to the fans ? 

No sensible replies needed.

Don't think we'll be 100% on it given players wanting to protect themselves but this equally isn't the Gabby/MON era. Unai will expect certain standards to be maintained

1 hour ago, Vancvillan said:

Garth Crooks set this poll up.

Screenshot_2024-05-16-17-10-36-340-edit_com.android.chrome.jpg

Anyone who put money on Bournemouth deserves to lose it!

Trying to remember the last time Villa played and I couldn't care less what the result was. Last season we were chasing Europe, season before we played Man City so was hoping we could spoil the party, 2021 was the first game back with 10k fans in so wanted us to win and 2020 we had to stay up on the last day. 

Hope Watkins scores his 20th league goal but that's about it really. Expect Olise/Eze/Mateta to make it an uncomfortable afternoon for us and beat us. 

16 hours ago, Django_Zooms said:

Outrageous libel. Chris Sutton on BBC website: "They have probably been on the lash to celebrate since Tottenham lost against Manchester City on Tuesday, so I am going with a Palace win."

He knows next to nothing about Emery and Villa, make no mistake about it we will go for the win and with our strongest team after 6 days rest. Losing this game isn't in the plan, finish as you mean to start next season,  with a win and a convincing performance. 

I can see a real show stopper, yea we may leak some goals but we will definitely score some, 3-1 to villa, maybe 4-1. Top 4 team incoming.

13 minutes ago, tinker said:

He knows next to nothing about Emery and Villa, make no mistake about it we will go for the win and with our strongest team after 6 days rest. Losing this game isn't in the plan, finish as you mean to start next season,  with a win and a convincing performance. 

I can see a real show stopper, yea we may leak some goals but we will definitely score some, 3-1 to villa, maybe 4-1. Top 4 team incoming.

I'm not sure we will.  Players who've not played much will probably start, and players for Euro's and Copa America will ideally be rested, especially players like McGinn, Bailey, Martinez etc who've played lots of games.

Posted (edited)

I honestly think Emery will take the game seriously and will want to start with his best possible side (fitness permitting) and then give his subs some decent minutes in the second half. He’ll want to finish on 71 points. The players will be relaxed without the pressure of anyone catching us and we’ll hopefully be able to play with some freedom. Can’t honestly remember a final day game where nothing was riding on it as usually we have something to play for.

Assuming Cash, Moreno are major doubts to start? Bailey, Tielemans and Pau clearly been carrying injuries/Knocks and may need a rest? However, if declared fit I think we’ll start strong: EDIT following team news

…………...…...Martinez………………..

Konsa…..Carlos……Pau…..Digne

………….Chambers……..Luiz……….

Bailey..….….McGinn……….Diaby

………………..…Watkins….……………..

Or if Emery did want to rest a few for international games, maybe:

…………….……..Olsen……………………….

Konsa…..Carlos……Lenglet…..Digne

…………..Chambers……..Luiz……….

McGinn………………………Diaby

…………Duran………Watkins….……..

Decent minutes for Iroegbunum, KKH, Munro and Kellyman.

Watkins to score and secure his 20 league goals (fingers crossed). Could be a mad game this with Palace scoring goals. Going to say 3-3 draw. UTV 

Edited by ferguson1

14 minutes ago, tinker said:

Its fairly clear to me that these pundits, do not research our team, like we do. So I am not sure what we are expected to learn from them.

Its typical lazy media, who just employ " names " who just deliver superficial news and headlines.

There are no Hugh McIIvanney's anymore, with insightful football journalism....just Bubblegum pundits, who were decent players, in their day.

It's not that easy to get sound info on Villa.

• Like 1

Just now, zab6359 said:

Bookies here (Oz) so I guess the same back in the UK have CP as favourites!!

100% should be favourites. We have been mediocre at full-strength and full motivation away from home, we are tired and the job is done. Palace can finish above Brighton for the first time in a few years.

I very much think Palace will win this game and I couldn't care less really.

This game should have one mission. Get our boy Ollie over the 20 goal mark. 

It is so nice to not have to worry about the result. I am actually going to see my niece play a match and I won’t be checking the scores.

See you all in the CL next season. 

• Like 1

Cash Tielemans Rogers Zaniolo out, along with the long term Mings Hause Kamara Ramsey Buendia.

My best guess...

Start: Martinez / Konsa Carlos Pau Digne / Bailey McGinn Luiz Moreno / Diaby Watkins.

Bench: Olsen Lenglet Kesler-Hayden Munroe Chambers Iroegbunam Kellyman Young Duran

If Bailey and Pau are still carrying injuries they may drop out. Tim could start in midfield but against Wharton and Lerma, we can't afford to be tentative. Could go Duran up front, Diaby wide and Moreno dropping out but that's very attacking. Outside chance of Kellyman getting a start. I'm taking any calls for Kesler-Hayden to start against in form Eze with an enormous pinch of salt.

Palace will be going all out to win this because they still have a chance of finishing top 10 for the first time in ages, plus finishing above Brighton. Very tough game ahead. Just hope we don't get smashed, Ollie gets his 20th and no more of the players going to internationals pick up a late injury. Poor Zaniolo.

I know the squad have earned the right to a nice chilled last day and a party atmopshere for the fans, but I would like to at least keep our positive goal difference...

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, East London Villa said:

Tielemans Rogers Zaniolo

#Kenneth

Tielemans being out means that one of McGinn and Luiz has to start. If Iroegbunam doesn't start this game then I think that will tell you exactly what Emery thinks of him - perfect chance for him to get 90 minutes with no pressure on a result.

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

#Kenneth

Tielemans being out means that one of McGinn and Luiz has to start. If Iroegbunam doesn't start this game then I think that will tell you exactly what Emery thinks of him - perfect chance for him to get 90 minutes with no pressure on a result.

I think we've already seen that Emery knows he's not ready, unfortunately. 

2 starts. 1 in Europe in early March and 1 against Man City in the game we basically threw because all our key players were out.

There have been plenty of other opportunities with Kamara out, Dendoncker gone, plus at least one of McGinn Luiz Tielemans out most of the time and all of them knackered. This is a competitive game against really tough opposition that are particularly physical in midfield. He might start, but my guess is that he won't.

3 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

I know the squad have earned the right to a nice chilled last day and a party atmopshere for the fans, but I would like to at least keep our positive goal difference...

Hahaha. You know what. This is what a proper manager does  . Lets you celebrate once the goal has been achieved.

He will be on the bench Sunday. Probably Emi as well. MCginn has just been phenonenal.  Ollie, will he want 20 goals or will he be wa ting to avoid injury because of the Euros. Dougie needs a rest and no risk either. 

On this occasion i would say that what i would be happiest about is for those players to be rested and the youngsters who have sat on the bench with barely any minutes get to start a premier league game with no pressure. They deserve a start 

• Like 1