Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Olympiakos

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

Match Polls  

202 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

If that first goal stands we go on to win this one. We conceded sloppy goals but were very dangerous going forward but lacked stability in the middle fo the park without Tielemans, the ref didn’t help but as Unai says no excuses. 

After reflecting and calming down a bit, I'm disappointed but not distraught. We've got something to fight for in the second leg at least.

I'm struggling to reconcile some of our good moments last night, with our overall play. 

It was hard to believe that the team at the end of the first half.and start of the second was the same as the one that was so slow, ponderous and lacking ideas after their first goal.

• Like 1

I’m strangely more confident having to go there and win, as opposed to going there to defend a 1 goal lead…

in the latter scenario, they get a goal back then they’re on the ascendancy.

in the first scenario we have to be in the ascendancy from the first minute… of course the penalty miss makes this harder but I think that we can beat them by 2….
that’ll at least tie the tie…

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TRO said:

but there was many things, in our play, that wasn't right....in those circumstances, the results are usually reflective of that, and they was.

yeah we did a lot of bad things as well, this is absolutely true. 

• Thanks 1

If we could have just got one more goal to make it 4-3 rather than 4-2 then I would have thought we would have a good chance, as we showed last night that we're more than capable of causing them problems, us scoring three or four past them in the second-leg really isn't beyond the realms of possibility, the part that's more difficult to conceive of as a possibility is us stopping them from scoring, we're not withoug hope but it's going to be difficult, going to have to have a perfect game, defence and keeper not allowing anything past them, midfield controlling the game better to relieve pressure on defence, and the attack to take their chances

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ben1505 said:

I’m strangely more confident having to go there and win, as opposed to going there to defend a 1 goal lead…

in the latter scenario, they get a goal back then they’re on the ascendancy.

in the first scenario we have to be in the ascendancy from the first minute… of course the penalty miss makes this harder but I think that we can beat them by 2….
that’ll at least tie the tie…

How in any way is a two goal deficit better than any sort of lead? Dougie's pen was our get of jail card and we blew it.

I am see us scoring and possibly even winning the away leg but at the moment I just can't see us keeping a clean sheet.

1 minute ago, The Fun Factory said:

How in any way is a two goal deficit better than any sort of lead? Dougie's pen was our get of jail card and we blew it.

I am see us scoring and possibly even winning the away leg but at the moment I just can't see us keeping a clean sheet.

I didn’t that it was better.. I would’ve rather us won 9-0 and put the tie to bed.. but if we had a 1 or even two goal lead, there would’ve been the temptation to defend what we had… IF in this case, they scored first, then the crowd get behind them and they go on to win the tie… 

We have to go to win the tie now.. I’d have preferred the 1 goal deficit but I don’t see why we can’t put two past them… it was a perfect storm for them… a bit like when we beat Liverpool 7-2… I doubt that perfect storm will happen again.

Have calmed down a bit from last night. Just rewatched the highlights again. We had a few decent moments going forward.

I just have this feeling that we will still turn this around. Difficult, but far from impossible, especially with a couple of players coming back. 

We are definitely capable of going there and winning, and at times last night we played some good football. I don’t think we’ll have a night like that again for a while where everything that could wrong, did. 

Get Martinez back, get Pau back in the team. Not sure if Tielemans would be back by then? There’s no real pressure on us now, everyone will be expecting Olympiacos to go through. The way they celebrated last night, the players and fans clearly do. 

This team under Emery has captured the spirit of the classic Villa teams, the never say die, underdog fight that made us all fall I love. We have to believe and back this team to makes amends.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, El Segundo said:

And another thing what the **** has Luiz done to his barnet.  Deserves dropping just for that.

there might be a correlation between that visit to the hairdressers and his drop in form. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Pinebro said:

We will batter them if we can approach anything close to our normal level

Maybe at home we might have, but the atmosphere over there will be madness, be a much more hostile environment than the Lille game. I agree if we really do manage to put 90 minutes together on song we've got enough to score 3 or 4 against them, but I'm not sure how well the players will deal with the atmosphere. Obvs Emi will **** love it, but he's not human.

17 minutes ago, newhamvilla said:

We had a few decent moments going forward.

At times we played some really lovely football right from back to front to make chances. The brain farts at the back, the keeper, the ref and missing a penalty cost us more than we might have deserved really.

1 minute ago, romavillan said:

Maybe at home we might have, but the atmosphere over there will be madness, be a much more hostile environment than the Lille game. I agree if we really do manage to put 90 minutes together on song we've got enough to score 3 or 4 against them, but I'm not sure how well the players will deal with the atmosphere. Obvs Emi will **** love it, but he's not human.

A number of our players will have played for national sides in hostile environments.

9 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Yes it will be loud, but it is a fairly modern stadium with decent facilities and pitch. If the players can blank out the noise I don't think it's such an advantage. And thankful no away goals nowadays. That is about as positive as I can get at the moment.

• Like 1

mental game. goals, pens, fights, medical emergencies. just all in all a very crazy game and could've just as easily been 4-2 to us

hopefully 4th will be wrapped up sunday and throw the kitchen sink at them thursday knowing we can rotate for the last PL games

Â