Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

Match Polls  

202 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

3 hours ago, osmark86 said:

It was one of those games were you feel you're doing things right, but the results are all wrong anyways. That gets so deflating, but it happens.

but there was many things, in our play, that wasn't right....in those circumstances, the results are usually reflective of that, and they was.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, switters said:

Not our worst performance of season  - we were worse against Chelsea at the weekend for one - but a v frustrating one, couldn't sustain momentum at got some real bad luck like the deflected 4th. Clearly missed Tielemans, Martinez, Pau, much lesss able to get control of games without them three. 

Ref got so many things wrong, little & large, just added to the frustration of it all.

Still wouldn't say no chance in the 2nd leg. We got chances there, and if we go in with positive mindset and get a lead, it's game on. Genuine chance to seal Champions League qualification at weekend now.

was it bad luck? or poor defending?, by turning your back,sideways, you are aiding the trajectory of the shot.

Unai was asked, by a reporter, did you have bad luck on the night and he replied.........No, it was down to us.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, picicata said:

As a wise man once said..

It ain't over, 'til it's over

and a wise Woman said...."You want to wake up and smell the coffee"

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Tie isn't over yet. If we can get Pau and Emi back for the next leg then we can still get to the final.

Not sure why Pau wasn't playing but if he's not injured it was an odd choice to disrupt the back 5 even more so than just Emi being out. 

I actually thought they were a pretty decent team, especially tactically. Didn't let us play out from the back and crowded out the midfield on the few chances we did. We got done tonight. It happens. 

...............a lot lately.

The tie isn't over, there is still a lot of money to be made out of it.🤣

Edited by TRO

3 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

What really annoyed me was our players getting involved in silly nonsense while Dougie was waiting to take the penalty.. 

What annoyed me the most was, they confirmed my suspicions of how much of the game played out..............when I really wanted them to prove me wrong.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Yes. I don't quite subscribe to the standard view every goal Olsen lets in Emi could save in his sleep. However the second would be textbook Martinez save on a one on one I think, just getting his body to block the shot and keep it out. Fourth took a horrible deflection but it was still very close to Olsen and you feel Emi would've twisted his body quicker and deflected it away.

Agreed, and we cant expect olsen to be as good as he is. But i think he blocks that one v one and punches the deflected goal clear. 

Honestly, this was one of the best attacking performances I can remember in a while. Shame it had to come alongside one of the worst defensive ones. If we have top 4 wrapped up this weekend, I hope we rest players then go all out next Thursday. Leave it all out there.

35 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Honestly, this was one of the best attacking performances I can remember in a while. Shame it had to come alongside one of the worst defensive ones. If we have top 4 wrapped up this weekend, I hope we rest players then go all out next Thursday. Leave it all out there.

Rogers really unlucky to not score early on. Great effort, great save.

Posted (edited)

Olympiacos are awful.

How we conceded 4 at home is beyond me 

Edited by Pinebro

We was poor, couldn't keep the ball, second to one on one's, wasted chances to break and they played well....

The ref showed his colours when he pulled us back from a breakaway chance because their player had fouled one of ours.  He never blew straight away he saw we was breaking with players over and blew up. He never even booked there player,  just had a word and gave us a free kick.

The refereeing has left a bad taste in my mouth over the last few games in this conference league bollox, I would rather play FA cup replays.

40 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Olympiacos are awful.

How we conceded 4 at home is beyond me 

Not as awful as some of the other teams we have played and struggled against in this competition. They beat a decent team in the last round in Fenerbache, so they were going to be no pushovers. 

• Like 1

Emery dropped a bollock by not picking Pau or not bringing him on at half time. But as he’s said very clearly we are prioritizing the league so if we beat Brighton we can’t really complain. 

• Like 1

On reflection this isn't over.  We'll see how much the team want this in the first 15-20 mins at their place.  But I do keep thinking back to UE's comments that the PL is out priority and rightly so.  Yes if we win this it's another European trophy, but without the league position the best we can achieve is a Europa League place next season.

What this game has shown is certain players aren't up to the required standard we are aiming for, and our squad does need to be improved to allow people like Dougie and Emily to be rested and it not affect the way we want to play.

7 hours ago, paul514 said:

i see tonight differently.

Personally I think it was the simple mistake of not playing Iroegbunam from the start and there wasn't enough one touch football.

It's a nob being 2 goals down for the second game as they will play 10 behind the ball but it certainly isn't done if we have a few players back.

It's been a good night anyway, one win and Emery has secured CL football for us next season which will be 2 seasons on the bounce that he has exceeded expectations. 

I doubt Tim would have made a blind bit of difference. He absolutely miles off it. 

Pau is the player who might have made a difference, but to be honest the whole team was off it

8 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

We must as supporters try to keep some perspective and keep our eyes on the prize -- CL football.

Hello Arsene Wenger, didn't realise you posted on here....

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

Emery dropped a bollock by not picking Pau or not bringing him on at half time. But as he’s said very clearly we are prioritizing the league so if we beat Brighton we can’t really complain. 

Think it's  also worth bearing in mind that a lot of teams who qualify for Europe for the first time (or first time in a while) tend to struggle in the league, even if their cup form is decent. In recent years,  can think of Wolves, West Ham and Brighton who have all dropped off in the league  the season after qualifying.  We have done better in the league, as well as getting to a European semi final. Feels like we are very up and down at the moment, but that is some achievement. 

And I don't see the semi final as being over by any means. Beat Brighton on Sunday and we can throw the kitchen sink at the second leg. 

I’ve already mentioned our two in the middle being overrun but we’re also effectively playing four attacking players at present in front of them and although we’re scoring, we can’t keep a clean sheet. That is why we need another midfielder and an attacking player moving out.

McGinn and Luiz are just not physical or mobile enough to do the donkey work alone. I honestly think we need to look at a change in formation or personnel until Tielemans returns.

Apologies if it’s been mentioned but I really hope the fan that needed a medical attention is ok? Thoughts and prayers to them.  

• Like 1

Luiz has been gash since he tarted his hair up a few weeks back. He should be made to cut that grey perm out immediately !

Â