Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Olympiakos

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

Match Polls  

202 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

I’ve defended Olsen recently against some honestly over the top, stupid “criticism” but the truth is our defence with him is a shambles. The confidence just goes away and you can feel it.

On top of that we weren’t helped by a completely out of form and worryingly poor Douglas Luiz performance. He was poor even before his suspension and it just continues.

Cash for all his effort is just a poor defender. Most of the time we get away with that by at least having the left back being decent but Digne was dreadful tonight. In fact our whole back six was out of sorts and that’s not just because of Olsen.

Still 90 minutes to play, hopefully with Emi in goal and we’ll book another flight to Greece this month.

Posted (edited)

With a more calm head.

You have to think about all the injuries we have and how tired these lads must be.

Added to that, any good Manager will know how to attack and press us to throw us off now.

When we are at our best, we still play around this press slickly.

Even someone like Youri probably makes a big difference tonight.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

Trying to compare Olsen and Emi is like trying yo compare a Nissan Skyline to a Ferrari. The Skyline isn't crap or slow, but a Ferrari is a Ferrari. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

3 of those goals get saved by Emi. Possibly all 4. Olsen is absolutely terrible

Total bollox.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

All the above were shite. But they have enough credit in the bank. Olsen is consistently an embarassment

so none of them gave him any protection tonight...

so please do you really think we lost tonight because of Olsen? really?

i get your sense of disappointment, we all are, but to put the blame entirely on him is daft.

Edited by imavillan
typo
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

It’s a tall order, but it’s not even close to impossible to go there and win by 2.

Liverpool overturned 4 against Barca, granted at home

We beat Arsenal 2-0 away last month 

Maccabi beat them 4-1 away

It’s unlikely but there is a chance. In some ways I think it suits this team better to just go for it than hang on to a 1-0 lead. I would rate our chances the same next week if we had a one goal cushion tbh

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

At what point are we going to have a serious discussion about the amount of goals we concede. This can’t go on. 

You have a point...

Arsenal 85 GF 28 GA

City 82 - 32

Liverpool 77 - 36

Villa 73 - 52

We're scoring enough. Tighten up the defence and we have a serious chance at the title.

One of the most frustrating games I've seen, everything seemed to go against us, but also we were very poor, at times it looked like they had an extra player, and we kept making mistakes. At 4-2 I was thinking if we could get one more then we might have a chance in the second-leg with Martinez in goal, as no matter what I think we're capable of scoring a number of goals past them, it's just a case of stopping them from scoring past us, but with them having a two goal advantage it's going to be very difficult

Maybe too much over confidence before the game, it was never going to be easy regardless of how good or bad they are, in this competition we've struggled against Mostar twice, lost to Legia, Ajax could have beat us at their ground if not for Martinez, the likes of Everton and Stevenage have knocked us out of cup competitions in recent times, Sheffield United took a point off us at Villa Park, we can't take it for granted we will beat any team, least not Olympiakos who are actually decent

So so very sad, as the thing that was making this season so wonderful was the idea that we could actually win a trophy for the first time in twenty-seven years, but now that's almost gone, we've thrown it away, and who knows when we will come this close again

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, romavillan said:

We needed a 2 goal advantage but we're going over there with a 2 goal deficit. It's a massive ask to get to the final, I reckon we'll win over there despite the full on atmosphere. Remains to be seen whether we can win by 2 or 3 goals though...

It's all to play for. I know we're capable of it, the team just need to believe in themselves. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

Trying to compare Olsen and Emi is like trying yo compare a Nissan Skyline to a Ferrari. The Skyline isn't crap or slow, but a Ferrari is a Ferrari. 

Don’t you mean an Austin Allegro? 

Some skylines would eat Ferraris for breakfast. 

1 minute ago, TomC said:

You have a point...

Arsenal 85 GF 28 GA

City 82 - 32

Liverpool 77 - 36

Villa 73 - 52

We're scoring enough. Tighten up the defence and we have a serious chance at the title.

It’ll be sorted next season. We’re currently missing out only aerially dominant CB and our only tenacious DM…it’s a player/squad issue

• Like 1

Just now, rodders129 said:

It’ll be sorted next season. We’re currently missing out only aerially dominant CB and our only tenacious DM…it’s a player/squad issue

We're still going to need another reliable DM to cover until Kamara comes back, which probably won't be until November at the earliest.

That's an even higher priority in my book than getting another RB.

43 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

our defensive line (inc the DM), needs a lot of work in the summer window.

We had no DM today.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Putting it on Olsen is an excuse for me offcourse his no Martinez. We still concede with Emi every match, hardly ever a clean sheet, so that tells you the defence and midfield is an issue. School boy mistakes and errors since the turn of the year has cost us goals and never has been rectified. Emery was asked yesterday if your worried about conceding so much and his response was aslong as we score more don't agree with that response. McGinn and Luiz go missing too much in midfield, and without Youri stands out more. Lack of leadership out there tonight to someone to take the grasp of that game.

Edited by ozvilla28
  • Like 3

Â