Europa League 2024/2025

12 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

This isn't true at all. If we don't qualify for CL we will probably need to be bringing in profit from a big sale to keep us on right side of the rules of we plan on doing and summer transfers.

I think we will need to do that anyway regardless because we need the headroom to bring players in. The financial gap between EL and CL based on our expected progression between the two competitions would be 15m or so

Ok.

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Newcastle and utd will catch us

Chelsea will win the FA Cup

We'll get nothing 

The game tomorrow is a straight shootout between us and Bournemouth for Europa league football.

• Haha 4

I really really hope that we get champions league football.

But from an excitement and prestige, plus being a competition we could win perspective, the europa league is still very very attractive. 

I was looking at the quarter finals. Roma, Liverpool, Leverkusen, AC Milan etc are really big exciting european games for Villa if we make it that far. 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

We could be the only team to win the CL, EL and the UCL in a year's time. 

The European treble. I think so, d'you wanna bet against us?

1 hour ago, GlobalVillan said:

No I am just explaining the current financial situation. It's pretty widely known amongst agents that Villa will need to sell if we don't make the CL. Laugh all you want. It's something I know to be true.

Loads of clubs you think will sign our players are also on tipping point of PSR "allegedly" 

• Like 1

Re losing players for me Martinez is the only irreplaceable one, maybe Ollie as well. Beyond those two I’d fully back Unai to find options to thrive in our structure. Look at Rogers. Also look at how the players were performing pre Unai. Unai and his team are the key to all of this 

1 hour ago, GlobalVillan said:

As I said, there are several reasons and FFP is just one. The likes of Ollie will be in high demand in pre season and CL clubs will be after him. Arsenal for example, who he supported as a kid.

Europa League won't be enough for us to keep hold of our very best players.

We’re not going to sell several of our best players in one window under these owners if we finish 5th. One is highly probable but it would be for big money and higher than their market value I’d suggest. 

You might well work with agents but we’ve sold one big player under Wes and Nassef and it was for a record British fee after we finished 11th. Lots of our best players are on long term deals, with the exception of Dougie but there’s lots of talk he’ll sign a new deal although that possibly hinges on us finishing 4th.

And I say that as someone who would be absolutely gutted and pissed off if we missed out on 4th.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Loads of clubs you think will sign our players are also on tipping point of PSR "allegedly" 

Exactly

We would want £100m for Ollie 

No club is spending that on him , and certainly not Arsenal who don’t have that sort of money to spend unless they have a Saudi partner who will buy one of their older carthorses for £60m 

1 hour ago, turvontour said:

I really really hope that we get champions league football.

But from an excitement and prestige, plus being a competition we could win perspective, the europa league is still very very attractive. 

I was looking at the quarter finals. Roma, Liverpool, Leverkusen, AC Milan etc are really big exciting european games for Villa if we make it that far. 

Exactly, look what happens happens. It's been a stellar 18 months under Emery. Just think back to the Fulham game at Craven Cottage under Gerrard. 

I also think Emery is a draw for players. Players will be thinking, this is a coach who will improve then. So the club is a draw 

At the start of the season my aspirations for Villa were to qualify for Europe again, and go far in the ECL. We’ve done that already, and with a really bad string of injuries. What we have and will still achieve is brilliant, and even if we only finish 5th and get knocked out in the semis, I’ll still be really pleased with the season. 

Obviously I still want us to get fourth and win the ECL, I believe we will tbh. But if we don’t, it’s not the doom scenario that some are making out. 

Apart from possibly having to sell a player to provide spending room, I cannot see Watkins or Martinez asking to leave. We are a club on the rise, and they have both improved immensely under Unai. Everyone improves with Emery, that’s why we are now a very attractive proposition for players. We are not about to see a bunch of the first team kick off and demand to leave because we didn’t get Champions League at first time of asking. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

Yeah this is how the football house of cards will come down. One day you'll have ten clubs needing to sell £120 mil worth of players, with no buyers.

6 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

if we are in the Europa League instead of the CL, we will be doing so without several of our best players. I'm pretty sure Ollie will leave, Luiz will leave and maybe 1 or 2 others.

Not just for their ambitions, but also because of FFP.

We have to get CL. Europa is not good enough given our precarious position on the financial front.

Give it a rest dude, take a day off

1 hour ago, rodders129 said:

Re losing players for me Martinez is the only irreplaceable one, maybe Ollie as well. Beyond those two I’d fully back Unai to find options to thrive in our structure. Look at Rogers. Also look at how the players were performing pre Unai. Unai and his team are the key to all of this 

Ollie is totally irreplaceable as well. Who would you conceivably buy with the return Watkins gives us in terms of goal involvement a that is 27/28 years old that would not cost £100m+?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ender4 said:

I DONT LIKE THIS THREAD.  

I WANT CHAMPIONS LEAGUE, not crappy Europa League.

Shurrup Jacob man, have some respect 

• Haha 2

Â