Pre-match thread - Cup Final 3 of 10

ender4

11 minutes ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

It's been a while since we were screwed by VAR. Probably going to get some dodgy decision go against us that miraculously keeps Man City right in the title race. 

You might be right but the people who administer the PL tend to favour teams in red, often in the same part of the country though………

4 hours ago, VillaChris said:

It's tough though. You've got Bernardo Silva and Foden nominally starting out wide but quickly drifting infield so before you know it a player marking them has been dragged 15 yards out of position.

At VP they put out a midfield of Kovacic-Rico Lewis-Nunes so it was very disjointed and we comfortably contained it with our first choice guys out there. Different story tonight.

I think Unai will have just shown them what Arsenal did as they were exceptional getting back into shape as soon as they lost the ball. Odegaard had to really sacrifice his natural game as normally he'd be right up playing 1-2s with the CF but he was very deep in that.

It worked. I think people are being naïve if we they think we can just go toe to toe with him in a counter/Basketball type match, we will be badly exposed if that happens.

Also watch for Bailey getting 3-4 fouls off Rodri and co in the first 20 minutes. The ref won't bother to book them and that will be a tactic from them to try to get him out of the game early given how good he was in the VP game.

For sure.....and we can't shut down, every player, they are simply too good, for that.

We have to be strategic, and shut down the key passing lanes.....lets be honest, we are not expected to win.

My point was, if we go after them where we can, we have an outside chance of something....if we majorly stand off, we will be in trouble.

We allowed the runners against Newcastle and Man U.....City are not as direct, but we can't simply allow them a free hand.

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

Nor for me. It's not as if he had any kind of emotional bond with their supporters. He may feel he has a point to prove, but it's important, should he play, that he stays disciplined in the role he is given, as do all the players that take to the pitch tonight. Those first 20 minutes could be crucial in deciding who comes out on top at the final whistle. There is absolutely no room for complacency from anybody. 

Our intensity has to be equal to theirs. The longer we can go without conceding, the more confident we'll become in our belief that we can actually take something from this game. 

That's just about where, I am.

Usually get more pessimistic the closer a match gets but it's the other way now.

Nothing to lose game.

5 minutes ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

For some reason I really want Zaniolo to start with Duran

They did show, a bit of physical menace, from the time they came on.

The wrecking ball, could cause problems....hopefully for them.

Best form of defence is attack but at the right times obviously. Respect them but don’t fear them. Walker and Ake being out for them means a lot of pace gone from their back line. Stones, Dias, Akanji and Lewis possibly are not exactly formidable and hopefully Diaby, Duran and Bailey can cause them problems.

We know Rodri is a beast of a midfielder but if Tielemans and Luiz hold well with a solid back line of Konsa, Carlos, Pau and Digne, I’m hopeful of taking a point tonight. 

Feel the only debate is whether Zaniolo or Rogers start here? I think Zaniolo gets the nod but will need to be at his very best. 

Edited by ferguson1
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

For some reason I really want Zaniolo to start with Duran

I'd like  both to play, but Zaniolo to start instead of Duran, and Duran to come on later, bit of an odd one I know

4 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Is Ederson out for them too? I heard he was earlier in the week but not heard an update? 

Ake hobbled off after 25 minutes of the first half in our 0-0 draw with Arsenal and was replaced by Rico Lewis.

On the potential availability of Stones, Walker and Ederson against Unai Emery’s men, the boss told the media in his pre-match press conference: “I don’t think so. John maybe, the other two no chance.

“He [John] has to feel fully fit. But the injury was less than we expected. We’ll see. For today or maybe for the next games he’ll be ready.”

Adding an update on Ake, he said: “Injured. Hopefully he will be back soon.

1 minute ago, ferguson1 said:

Ake hobbled off after 25 minutes of the first half in our 0-0 draw with Arsenal and was replaced by Rico Lewis.

On the potential availability of Stones, Walker and Ederson against Unai Emery’s men, the boss told the media in his pre-match press conference: “I don’t think so. John maybe, the other two no chance.

“He [John] has to feel fully fit. But the injury was less than we expected. We’ll see. For today or maybe for the next games he’ll be ready.”

Adding an update on Ake, he said: “Injured. Hopefully he will be back soon.

spacer.png

• Haha 1

Really looking forward to this game. I don’t think we’ll win but it feels like the pressures off a little for this one. Its obviously not but it definitely feel like it. 

We are going to probably the hardest away ground in Europe without 4-5 nailed on starters. That’s a big ask. 

I’m going to miss the majority of the match as I’m working late (in a weird way I’m happy about that!) 

See you all at 10.30pm! 

Posted (edited)

just saw a stat that city haven't beaten a top 5 team in the league this season. that's crazy

Edited by tomav84

2 minutes ago, Dodgyknees said:

Was reading that they are struggling to score. We know how that ends.

Yep, concerned we are coming up against a Man City team with something to prove. 

• Like 1