The Miners Strike

veloman

Probably a bit late on this but; last week was the 40th Anniversary of the Miners' strike- the one lead by Scargill. Did this affect anyone on here? Was it justified ? 

23 minutes ago, veloman said:

Probably a bit late on this but; last week was the 40th Anniversary of the Miners' strike- the one lead by Scargill. Did this affect anyone on here? Was it justified ? 

yes it was justified but he dropped a major bollock not going to a national vote which doomed it from the start 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dAVe80 said:

justice for Orgreave. 

Quite.

I was too young to remember the political machinations, but I remember seeing the police on horsies with their truncheons in the newspapers and on the telly.

Seminal moment. Both for the young minds of me and my friends growing up to bear witness to, and as others have alluded to, for the country as a whole.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VILLAMARV said:

but I remember seeing the police on horsies with their truncheons in the newspapers and on the telly.

If they actually were police

What the government did with the miners pension fund was and still is a huge scandal, the government still feeds of the excess funds and the miners pay for it.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/pension-rip-leaves-retired-mineworkers-28702309

Pension rip-off leaves retired mineworkers unable to afford family funerals
Welsh ex-miner Emlyn Davies, 77, could not scrape together the £2,900 needed to bury his wife and lives with his daughter because he only receives £61 a week after 26 years down the pits

The Tories are refusing to use £1bn of investment windfalls to boost miners' pension funds(Getty Images)
By Nigel Nelson
18:00, 10 Dec 2022

• Like 3

I've often thought about this, as someone who was a little 'un at the time and wasn't really directly affected by it.

From a modern perspective, the concept of men going into mines to dig up coal is so archaic and, in fact, seems pretty distasteful in many ways.

So, was the real problem with the shutting down of the coal mining not the end aim of removing that industry, but the manner in which is it was done? The timescales, the pension issues, the police behaviour etc.? Because I cannot imagine any world in which manual coal mining would still be a thing now.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not defending Thatcher in any way at all, I'm just curious what people think the "best" solution should have been to this assuming that we should have arrived ultimately at a point where coal mining was a thing of the past anyway.

That whole period of history was truly depressing.  The miners strike, mass unemployment, derelict industry, recession etc.   

"The Boys From The Black Stuff" just summed up the era. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

I've often thought about this, as someone who was a little 'un at the time and wasn't really directly affected by it.

From a modern perspective, the concept of men going into mines to dig up coal is so archaic and, in fact, seems pretty distasteful in many ways.

So, was the real problem with the shutting down of the coal mining not the end aim of removing that industry, but the manner in which is it was done? The timescales, the pension issues, the police behaviour etc.? Because I cannot imagine any world in which manual coal mining would still be a thing now.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not defending Thatcher in any way at all, I'm just curious what people think the "best" solution should have been to this assuming that we should have arrived ultimately at a point where coal mining was a thing of the past anyway.

It was the manner of what happened. It was an industry that needed reform, but the way it was done was contrived to extract a crushing victory, enabled by an egotistical NUM leadership that didn’t spot coal reserves being built up in preparation, didn’t go for a proper ballot of members, and began a coal strike in Spring and through the summer. An ugly trap was set and the idiot jumped on it. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

We didn’t lose our coal mining industry in Australia but it has actually become a bit of a rod for our backs in the move to decarbonise the economy for the sake of climate change.

The coal mining industry and its workers are a powerful voting block and lobby heavily to resist any moves towards the phasing out of coal power stations in favour of renewable energy sources. The Labour Party often try and ‘ride two horses’ by telling their inner city voters all about their great ideas for renewable energy, only to head off to the coal mining regions promising their industries will not be touched.

22 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

That whole period of history was truly depressing.  The miners strike, mass unemployment, derelict industry, recession etc.   

"The Boys From The Black Stuff" just summed up the era. 

I can lay bricks

1 hour ago, colhint said:

Didn't Bleasedale write it in 1978 about a tarmacing gang from liverpool, hence Yossers accent.

Not quite, what he wrote in 1978 was The Black Stuff for the Play For Today series but it wasn’t broadcast until 1980. That was very successful so the BBC commissioned the series as a result but a lot of it was already written (between 79-80)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

enabled by an egotistical NUM leadership that didn’t spot coal reserves being built up in preparation, didn’t go for a proper ballot of members, and began a coal strike in Spring and through the summer. An ugly trap was set and the idiot jumped on it. 

Yep , I think that is very pertinent. My wife's family, father and brother, were employed in the North Staffs Coalfield and neither were very keen on Scargill. But the agressive manner in which Thatcher dealt with the situation was, IMO, disgraceful. Brother in law worked at Hem Heath, one of the largest pits in the area; the NCB, presumably under Thatcher's instructions, poured tonnes of concrete down the main shaft on thousands of pounds worth of machinery and with substantial reserves of coal thus ensuring that pit could never be used again. If you ever followed Villa to Stoke, you probably parked on the "Business Park" that was Hem Heath.

• Like 1

You can't understand the strike which ended in 1984 unless you understand what happened in 1971 and 1973.

The Joe Gormley entry on Wiki sums it up nicely.

The NUM's victory made them the best paid workers in the UK, ousted a Tory government, and cost ordinary working people money, due to the three-day week.

Assuming they could do it again in the 1980s was an egregious act of hubris, as capital flight had already begun, and Thatcher had the money from North Sea oil revenues, to finance her scorched-earth plans.

The unions lost their power and the rest is history.

Sadly the employers still have the whip hand.

• Like 1

Â