New Aston Villa Stadium Chat

VillaChris

While I still think the Etihad is nothing more than a bigger and drabber version of Ricoh Arena, I've come to appreciate the Emirates Stadium. I used to equate the two, but Emirates is so much better. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, sidcow said:

This.

Can't believe the enthusiasm for that huuugly place. 

I think it looks good - as an American football stadium. It isn't a football stadium, and I don't understand why Villa fans want to copy it. 

If people in this thread want red brick, then you need to want to stay at Villa Park, because if we move we will not be building out of brick, probably not even putting a brick facia on. 

8 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I think it looks good - as an American football stadium. It isn't a football stadium, and I don't understand why Villa fans want to copy it. 

If people in this thread want red brick, then you need to want to stay at Villa Park, because if we move we will not be building out of brick, probably not even putting a brick facia on. 

Use of materials, not the shape or overall design, also like the uniqueness of it, there's no other stadium like that 

Agree on the 2nd part, no way in modern construction are we building a facing brick stadium, it just doesnt exist in that way anymore for several reasons 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Use of materials, not the shape or overall design, also like the uniqueness of it, there's no other stadium like that 

Agree on the 2nd part, no way in modern construction are we building a facing brick stadium, it just doesnt exist in that way anymore for several reasons 

Cost in the main I reckon?

11 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Cost in the main I reckon?

It's a heavy construction so would require bigger foundations, stadiums in general are lightweight from steel, cladding and curtain walling

Then cost

Then it's a dying trade, brickies with gangs that big would be few and far between so it wouldn't be as competitive a tender as cladding 

Then it's a messy trade because of the mortar, there's also far more material management 

It takes longer and is more likely to be impacted by the weather 

It requires scaffolding and is more dangerous, there's a lot more temporary work involved

I think a lot of people in the industry still like brickwork but at that's scale it's just not practical anymore in modern construction 

Evertons looks to be prefabricated which is interesting 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We aren't getting a new stadium.

Nor would I want one.

Aslo, since we are not in Manchester or London, we would have to pay for it ourselves, with help from a bankrupt local government, which is never gonna happen.

Blues think they are getting a new stadium, which is laughable.

Neither club will be moving.

Edited by GlobalVillan

1 hour ago, GlobalVillan said:

We aren't getting a new stadium.

Nor would I want one.

Aslo, since we are not in Manchester or London, we would have to pay for it ourselves, with help from a bankrupt local government, which is never gonna happen.

Blues think they are getting a new stadium, which is laughable.

Neither club will be moving.

I think I can safely say all of us want to stay at Villa Park, but we deserve a 21st century experience at VP. The club has to be viable long term too.

Not wanting to change is dated and stubborn thinking.

Precisely one of the reasons the council is bankrupt is because it has backed the wrong horses. Poor strategic investments decisions have finally caught up. It has failed to invest in it's sporting properties compared to the other major cities. This is precisely the time you back Villa - we are on the ascent to glory.  We are the most successful sporting item in the City & West Midlands. A world class VP/ new stadium would be a beacon for the City/ West Midlands.

Moving is the last resort but the infrastructure needs improving and enhancing.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

I think I can safely say all of us want to stay at Villa Park, but we deserve a 21st century experience at VP. The club has to be viable long term too.

Not wanting to change is dated and stubborn thinking.

Precisely one of the reasons the council is bankrupt is because it has backed the wrong horses. Poor strategic investments decisions have finally caught up. It has failed to invest in it's sporting properties compared to the other major cities. This is precisely the time you back Villa - we are on the ascent to glory.  We are the most successful sporting item in the City & West Midlands. A world class VP/ new stadium would be a beacon for the City/ West Midlands.

Moving is the last resort but the infrastructure needs improving and enhancing.

Or thinking that if it isn't Villa Park then I'd lose so much connection with the club that it would/could destroy the whole purpose for me.

I barely ever watch non Villa games anymore as football has become awful in so many ways, yet I will always watch and support Villa because of the tradition in my family and growing up right by the ground. I have so much connection to the place, like many others, that to me, moving would kill so much of the point of supporting the club.

You can't call everyone stubborn and outdated because they want to stay at Villa Park. That's stubborn and arrogant.

Edited by GlobalVillan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Villa_Vids said:

I think I can safely say all of us want to stay at Villa Park, 

Nope.  I’d say at least 50% of Villa fans in the West Midlands area would prefer us to be in a brand new stadium similar to Tottenham Stadium or Emirates, etc.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Nope.  I’d say at least 50% of Villa fans in the West Midlands area would prefer us to be in a brand new stadium similar to Tottenham Stadium or Emirates, etc.

Yeah I'd say there's a growing number of fans realising that with FFP VP will start to hold us back while at the same time refurb after refurb won't be the answer 

That said I'd also guess that the vast majority of fans were happy with the north stand proposals and are unhappy with them being cancelled 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

Or thinking that if it isn't Villa Park then I'd lose so much connection with the club that it would/could destroy the whole purpose for me.

I barely ever watch non Villa games anymore as football has become awful in so many ways, yet I will always watch and support Villa because of the tradition in my family and growing up right by the ground. I have so much connection to the place, like many others, that to me, moving would kill so much of the point of supporting the club.

You can't call everyone stubborn and outdated because they want to stay at Villa Park. That's stubborn and arrogant.

I understand where you are coming from, even though it is crazy to limit the growth (and existence) of the club because of nostalgia/personal experiences.

I want to stay at VP before any alternative. It is unique. I just don't want the club to stand still at VP. We deserve a re-developed VP with modern facilities & transport links. If that is not possible, a new stadium becomes a real possibility.

The club has to think of the next generation of fans too. This is just the naked truth. Other major clubs are planning to expand their offerings.

If you are happy just to do nothing then that is equally selfish, stubborn and arrogant. It isn't change for change sake - it is to ensure Villa stay relevant in modern football and the club's heritage is well respected.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Yeah I'd say there's a growing number of fans realising that with FFP VP will start to hold us back while at the same time refurb after refurb won't be the answer 

That said I'd also guess that the vast majority of fans were happy with the north stand proposals and are unhappy with them being cancelled 

It's the area tbh, getting 40-60k fans into an area and then not maximising their spending potential isn't good business, hotels, Resteraunts, bowling alleys, cinemas,  concert venues  good transport systems is what we need. 

Highbury was a grand old stadium that had to go, Hillsborough was as well but time waits for nothing and once we have established ourselves as a top 6 team we need to be able to maximise the revenue. We have to move from a business point of to be able to compete at that level, it's that simple. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Over a redeveloped VP? Hmmm I still believe the overwhelming fanbase will choose VP over a new stadium. It is just my gut feeling.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Villa_Vids said:

Over a redeveloped VP? Hmmm I still believe the overwhelming fanbase will choose VP over a new stadium. It is just my gut feeling.

Ohhh I meant as opposed to the current stadium as it is.  Or even with just the Purslow new North stand as that doesn’t fix the problems with the other 3 outdated stands.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

Maybe but it's not the fans that are responsible for generating the income to make us successful or sustain our recent success. Football is about money, without it we will lose ground on our competitors and fade as they grow. 

Waiting for Birmingham to sort it's transport infrastructure out isn't going to be quick enough for us. We need move to an area of the city where the infrastructure is already there. Anyone that knows Birmingham well knows where that is......

• Like 2

17 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I don't think we want to copy it, it's a very different aesthetic and it's specific to the team that use it. It's just an example of how brickwork or at least a brick facade has been used in a modern stadium. Everton's brand new stadium also has brick elements. It can absolutely be done.

I think they'll want to soften the blow by bringing some of the elements of Villa Park with us, and the brickwork is iconic. I'd also expect the statues of the Lion and William McGregor to be there. They're absolutely not going to build some sort of hypermodern monstrosity like Sofi Stadium or Allegiant Stadium. The brief for those would have been totally different than it would be for a New Villa Park.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

I don’t think that’s the case at all.  I can only go my own experience down Villa Park for home games and in my various social circles but I don’t know anybody that wants to move from Villa Park and most are vehemently against it. Yes update Villa Park and specifically wanted the North Stand done but to move away…no way!

5 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

I don't think we want to copy it, it's a very different aesthetic and it's specific to the team that use it. It's just an example of how brickwork or at least a brick facade has been used in a modern stadium. Everton's brand new stadium also has brick elements. It can absolutely be done.

I think they'll want to soften the blow by bringing some of the elements of Villa Park with us, and the brickwork is iconic. I'd also expect the statues of the Lion and William McGregor to be there. They're absolutely not going to build some sort of hypermodern monstrosity like Sofi Stadium or Allegiant Stadium. The brief for those would have been totally different than it would be for a New Villa Park.

tbf they're not going to do any of it, because we're not moving to a new stadium. 

• Like 1