• Watkins
    • Durán (Watkins 32)
    • Tielemans (Rogers 45)
    • Lenglet (Carlos 73)
    • Iroegbunam (Bailey 73)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

Great win but kind of sad to see such a poor Ajax side these days.  Not his biggest fan by any stretch but gave MOTM to Cash as he played well and without that goal line clearance at 1-0 the game could have gone very differently.  Bailey back to his best after his dip on Sunday,  and Diaby, finally, showing he can play a bit - still seems to lack confidence in himself though.   

15 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

Looked like Duran had signed for Chelsea in that video. Sooner we sort that badge out the better

😆 I thought the same, mainly cos it’s in blue aswell.

Is there an explanation for the lack of second half injury time because surely it would have been about 7 minutes with all the goals, injuries and sending off.

Does the ref have to ask the team that's losing if they forfeit essentially?

10 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Is there an explanation for the lack of second half injury time because surely it would have been about 7 minutes with all the goals, injuries and sending off.

Was odd, was only 5 mins in first half when most people were expecting 10 ish. I just don't think they have the same time rules in Europe as prem league does

9 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Was odd, was only 5 mins in first half when most people were expecting 10 ish. I just don't think they have the same time rules in Europe as prem league does

But it must be more specific than that, like a rule around games where outcomes are pretty much decided at 90 mins. It must be a choice of the losing teams manager.

Mcginn scored about 5 minutes into second half stoppage time in that earlier European game. 

10 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

should have been 5 minutes added for Durans celebration(s) alone - dude couldnt make up his mind on which to use so just did them all! 🤣

I’ve give MOM to Diego. Just cos I felt sorry for him getting injured again and no one else voting for him 🙂

…seriously, it was noticeable they were better at the back tonight with his strength alongside Pau. Totally nullified mr blobby up front for them, who had looked a bit of a handful in the first leg. Horses for courses, but Diego has a big role for us against that kind of forward! Hope he isn’t out for too long 

1 hour ago, turvontour said:

But it must be more specific than that, like a rule around games where outcomes are pretty much decided at 90 mins. It must be a choice of the losing teams manager.

Mcginn scored about 5 minutes into second half stoppage time in that earlier European game. 

Maybe there is an option to end on time as knock out game. Would be very strange to have that rule though

16 hours ago, ChicagoVillan1983 said:

When do they draw the final?!? 

(I joke)

They did actually do that. It is Villa v Fiorentina (if they get that far). ;)

I thought the Ajax fans were very good last night. Kept singing throughout and stayed to applaud their team, despite a heavy defeat. I can think of other fans, whose clubs have a similar status in Europe, who would have been out of the ground by the time that we hit our third (the two Manchester clubs for example). 

4 hours ago, turvontour said:

The game and tie was over and we all wanted to get home.

2 hours ago, John said:

I can think of other fans, whose clubs have a similar status in Europe, who would have been out of the ground by the time that we hit our third (the two Manchester clubs for example). 

I can think of thousands of fans who did exactly that in the exact stadium 4 days prior...

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Not going to lie. I enjoyed the Ajax fans singing a Bob Marley song.

Lord, Villa keep on, Winniii -iiing.  Lord Villa  (or Ollie, or Moussa, or Bailey, or Big Jhon, or ...)   gonna score.  

1 hour ago, turvontour said:

But who decides that? And is it a rule or just down to the refs discretion?

technically, there is a law that forbids this.   But i have, in similar situations, checked with both managers if they preferred to shorten Extra time.  I don't think i ever shortened it to zero, though.  Brave ref, he may well face a rough time from the match assessor.

Â