Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Spurs

limpid

Match Polls  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/03/24 at 23:59

Just now, DJBOB said:

He’s a loss but not so much of a loss that we play a completely different system and look inept while doing so. 

We had two dangerous situations first half which could have turned into very dangerous goal scoring situations with some simple decision making.

We made the wrong decision with both. But one of those ends up a goal and it's a completely different story. Fine lines.

• Like 3

I think some are being incredibly naive to think we can just start with a front five of Luiz, TIelemans, McGinn, DIaby, Bailey, and Watkins, against Tottenham, no other manager in the league would have done that, and perfectly understandable that we didn't

We're not only missing Kamara's defensive contribution, but also Ramsey's, which I think people underestimate, you can't just replace him with someone like Diaby and Zaniolo and think it's a straight swap, because it's not, Ramsey is a midfielder, and without him we miss the qualities a midfielder brings to games, not just in the attacking third, but up and down the pitch, so today Emery had to try and find a team to compensate not only for Kamara's absence but also Ramsey's

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

I don’t see how anyone would take away anything from the first half except, “Just got by.”

I’ve seen this team under Unai completely outplay champions league and title winners. We were absent two players (Kamara and Diego Carlos) from the team that faced City and Arsenal yet set the team up like wee were Sheffield playing the invincibles. It was completely mind boggling. 

We must've watched a different game, friend. There's nothing wrong with playing deep and direct in one half while you try to figure out what the oppositions game plan is. We had multiple attacks on the break where if not for one block or overhit cross we at the very least test the keeper and then the perception of the first half is entirely different. It was a tentative first half with a lot riding on it.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Always find these threads fun reading after we don't win, or when we do win but haven't blown a team away, or shock horror we concede goals. It often feels like all perspective has been lost and the fact we were just 16 months ago relegation fodder has been forgotten.

No doubt today was disappointing but hey ho it happens at this level when you are up against a very good side and aren't completely on it especially if you add in a couple of simple errors and then that getting compounded by a player losing his head.

Even whilst walking back to the car today though and the rain pissing down on me I could already put today in the perspective of sitting in the top 4 when in reality we should at best be sniffing around 6th or 7th. Put today in the perspective that the defeat came off the back of 3 wins on the bounce. Put today in the perspective that in 4 days time we'll play our biggest game in Europe for 15 years under the lights at a rocking VP and that in a week's time we'll again get the opportunity to bounce back from a defeat in the league by getting a positive result and maintaining our remarkable record of not having lost two league games on the bounce in over 10 months.

We can bitch and moan but the facts of the matter are we are massively overachieving so defeats are going to happen, poor performances are going to happen, goals are going to be conceded. Overall though when you put things into perspective we are having a hell of an unexpected (at this stage) ride.

I know what you’re saying mark but we got here playing a certain way, and in this week of all weeks where we have 3 games back to back that define our season, to start playing scared is just not the way forward. 

We have so many injuries. Three ACL's from players that would be bang on first teamers.

So, he chose a formation that fit in everyone else. It was catastrophic, but, there's not a huge amount else he could have done.

Buendia, Mings and Kamara out with ACL's is the equivalent to Arsenal losing Odegaard, Saliba and Rice. Where would they be without those three?

4 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

We have so many injuries. Three ACL's from players that would be bang on first teamers.

So, he chose a formation that fit in everyone else. It was catastrophic, but, there's not a huge amount else he could have done.

Buendia, Mings and Kamara out with ACL's is the equivalent to Arsenal losing Odegaard, Saliba and Rice. Where would they be without those three?

Don't forget Ramsey who has missed about half our games and not been at full fitness for most of the ones he has featured in.

It's an absurd injury situation.

Edited by Mantis

Just now, alreadyexists said:

The loss today hurt, but what about beating Man City, and Arsenal, and Spurs in the reverse fixture? Do they mean we are/aren’t ready for CL? I don’t think this one game defines us, any more than an excellent win elsewhere does, and I don’t think it has meaning beyond a lost 3 points in what would’ve been an excellent time to get 3 from a rival…

I’m gutted, but we can’t let the team, or the fans give up on a phenomenally good season and the best chance we’ve had of CL for nearly 20 years. 

That was earlier in the season when we had less need to rely on fringe or backup players, and when I think not many teams had worked out that we struggle against a high press and man marking - tactics successfully employed against us by Newcastle, Chelsea and Spurs since the new year.    At that point we were competitive with more or less any club.   

And it's not just today, I'd say recent results and performances indicate injuries and suspensions have meant a bigger drop off in quality and mentality than it has for some of our rivals.   Since peak mentality against City and Arsenal,  we've bottled some big moments when the pressure has been on - e.g. the chance to go top against Sheffield united, the chance to effectively put ourselves beyond United's reach at VP,   and to establish a decent gap between us, Spurs and United today.  Doing it for half a season doesn't make you ready in my view, but I do agree we should not give up on it.       

• Like 1

Better decision making from Leon and Ollie a couple times and we could be having a different conversation now, about a " Hard fought win " or draw.

I'm not sure I'm buying that Unai got it totally wrong today because it was an even fist half.

Konsa doesn't pass directly to opposition and McGinn doesn't lose his head too we more than have a chance.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

I just don’t buy that we’re so injured that we can’t play the way we’ve played for 99% of the matches we’ve played under Unai. There are only two players we were missing in comparison to City and Arsenal and yet we play a completely different system. 

At no point did we have control of the match. Maybe we could’ve knicked a goal from Ollie or Leon on the break but the same can be said for every other team in the league. This isn’t magic-ball we were supposed to play under Unai. Its control and structure of play.

1 minute ago, DJBOB said:

I just don’t buy that we’re so injured that we can’t play the way we’ve played for 99% of the matches we’ve played under Unai. There are only two players we were missing in comparison to City and Arsenal and yet we play a completely different system. 

At no point did we have control of the match. Maybe we could’ve knicked a goal from Ollie or Leon on the break but the same can be said for every other team in the league. This isn’t magic-ball we were supposed to play under Unai. Its control and structure of play.

That was many months ago.

The players are mentally and physically ****. Exhausted. Days like today will happen. 

1 hour ago, KillieVillain said:

Missed the game today but was keeping an eye on the score, just seems like every time we have a big game we don’t turn up

Apart from the time we beat Man City and Arsenal back to back in a week? No?

14 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I know what you’re saying mark but we got here playing a certain way, and in this week of all weeks where we have 3 games back to back that define our season, to start playing scared is just not the way forward. 

I do agree we need to roll the dice a bit more in the run in.

West Ham, Wolves and Brentford are all coming up and will be tricky. However they are all winnable games and we need 7 points from them at the very least.

With the injuries and suspensions Unai is getting a little away from his preferred set up but we do really need to get back on the front foot from start of matches especially at VP.

Forest was a nice reminder of that so I fully expect us to be attacking the Holte in the first half v Wolves.

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Better decision making from Leon and Ollie a couple times and we could be having a different conversation now, about a " Hard fought win " or draw.

I'm not sure I'm buying that Unai got it totally wrong today because it was an even fist half.

Konsa doesn't pass directly to opposition and McGinn doesn't lose his head too we more than have a chance.

Totally agree against the top sides fine lines make all the difference. They were pretty much full strength today and our squad is on the ropes in terms of numbers and fitness and Unai chose a setup to prioritise not losing, at half time it was looking a good decision but first goals are so so often decisive. While I think we could have done more to stop Sarr going through it’s a hell of a cross. 

After that we fell apart, we’ve seen it before from this team and there is a bit of naivety I think. They want it so much… for us as fans for the club, for themselves…when we go behind it can lead to gaps and errors. Which meant we were always between a rock and a hard place.  

It’s another really painful one to take especially so soon after the Utd game. Be we are still right in the thick of this race and it’s going to go right to the end. 

• Like 1

Just now, Don_Simon said:

That was many months ago.

The players are mentally and physically ****. Exhausted. Days like today will happen. 

Again - I don’t buy it and they are probably exhausted from having to chase shadows since they only had 30% of possession. 

I’ve watched enough torturous years of Deano, Steve Bruce, Lambert, Mcleish to know the 532 is a soul sucking formation that will eventually lose you the match. 

26 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

But he didn't just run about, he ran with purpose and tried to make things happen, which is a hell of a lot more than Diaby done, that's for sure. 

If Konsa hadn't contributed to us conceding that second goal, I would have given him motm, at moments, his defensive awareness was on point. 

There wasn't a player on the pitch who didn't play a misplaced pass, Zani gets credit for effort, which is more than most others gave, and there are no excuses for lack of effort, not in my book anyway. As for Konsa, he at least done some things that were pleasent to the eye, to those of us who are not optically challenged that is.

Didn't look to be much purpose to Zaniolo's play to me apart from when he chased back to prevent an attack.  Going forward, his main role, he didn't make much happen at all.  Diaby actually did bring the ball forward and get some crosses and shots in although much of it was poorly executed as is his wont.  I just don't see why Zaniolo should get credit for effort alone, that's the very least we should expect.

There's misplacing a pass and then there's misplacing a pass when under no pressure that gifts a goal to the opposition.   Having got away with it first half he did it again.  Neither were very pleasant to my eyes. 

First time ever voting Unia as very poor and that's due to not changing it at HT. I was so pleased to be going in at 0-0 At IT but then no changes and before we know we are 2-0 down and game over. I

Just now, El Segundo said:

Didn't look to be much purpose to Zaniolo's play to me apart from when he chased back to prevent an attack.  Going forward, his main role, he didn't make much happen at all.  Diaby actually did bring the ball forward and get some crosses and shots in although much of it was poorly executed as is his wont.  I just don't see why Zaniolo should get credit for effort alone, that's the very least we should expect.

There's misplacing a pass and then there's misplacing a pass when under no pressure that gifts a goal to the opposition.   Having got away with it first half he did it again.  Neither were very pleasant to my eyes. 

Twiddle dee, twiddle dum.

My coat's on.

3 at the back isn't always bad - it can be useful in some situations, otherwise nobody would ever use it. Think Unai's plan was to soak up the Spurs pressure and hit them on the break, which tbf did almost work at times. Obviously it didn't work in the end but there was definitely logic in it, especially given that the onus was on them to get the win and not us.

The more I see of the McGinn red card the more it’s clear the ref has been influenced by the spurs players and the bench. He clearly going to give a yellow card but then starts talking to someone and changes his mind. 

We have some of the worst and weakest refs in the world. As soon as any pressure came on he folded! And we all know the next steps. All his mates, the former refs who are paid by TV channels to say nothing will say he was right. A lovely protection racket they have set up. 

• Like 1