Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Spurs

limpid

Match Polls  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/03/24 at 23:59

11 minutes ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

McGinn is finished ? 
lost his head today but FFS he has been brilliant for villa this season 

I must have understood him wrong lol.

I actually thought he meant " finished " as in his mentality and temperament had gone after we gave away the 2nd goal.

Could be totally wrong.

If he means " finished " as in finished here it's obviously madness though.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

If he means " finished " as in finished here it's obviously madness though.

Always some bonkers hot takes after a disappointing result. 

1 hour ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

One of the best things about the football under Emery until now has been that we've taken the game to the opponent, no matter who they are, especially at home. This new pragmatic approach does not suit us at all. We're conceding for fun at the moment, so why not at least play to our strengths and try to outscore the opponent? Very disappointing to come so far only to suddenly lose faith in the style of play that got us here. 

Cracking under pressure 

Ultimately for me our success this season has been down to Douglas Luiz and Kamara being so good they can take on three-man midfields, meaning we have an automatic overload. Since Brentford we have been struggling to adapt to a situation where we have basically never (and won’t again this season) have them together. It’s a big switch and I hope Unai can crack it.

Even if we contained them fine in the 1st, the fact we even set up to contain them and barely attack ourselves was cowardly from a team at home firmly in 4th place. We didn’t do that against arsenal or city. Why against **** spurs 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

seems like he out-thought himself today tbh.

players didnt help at all, but going 352 and away from the tactic that has done us so well for 18 months, just seems like he thought too hard.

Also, to be brutally honest, as soon as a saw Cash on the teamsheet, and not as a full right back as part of a back 4, or at least it looked initially like he would be the right midfield ahead of konsa, i knew we would be in trouble.

Issue was it wasn’t 352 at all. It was a flat 532. 

So was the plan to not lose today rather than go for the win? Haven’t seen any of the game, and don’t plan to, so have no idea how we played. 

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

tomatoe/tomato, i meant 532/352, whatever, same principle.

24 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

seems like he out-thought himself today tbh.

players didnt help at all, but going 352 and away from the tactic that has done us so well for 18 months, just seems like he thought too hard.

Also, to be brutally honest, as soon as a saw Cash on the teamsheet, and not as a full right back as part of a back 4, or at least it looked initially like he would be the right midfield ahead of konsa, i knew we would be in trouble.

Yes, the match was finished when the team sheet came out. 

People can try to blame the players but it was clear the team was uncomfortable when in possession and had no idea where their teammates were. 

• Like 1

I thought we played well in the first half and if not for some brilliant defending I could've seen us getting a goal. Tottenham, to their credit, were cutting out our passes at just the right time when we were on the break. The difference then came from a world class cross, I haven't seen many better in my years watching football - our CBs are maybe 2 or 3 meters apart and their guy stuck the ball right between them, and a calamitous mistake. After that and a stupidly rash challenge from McGinn it was chaos and we fell apart.

The gameplan, which I entrust to Emery, was working just fine so he takes no blame for me. Not to mention the only half decent attacking player on the bench at his disposal was a woefully out of form Diaby. The players and a well oiled opposing side were our undoing today, not Emery.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ben1505 said:

That’s the spirit 

It's an opinion, based on the fact we always struggle with Wolves.

If you want positivity  i think we will still finish 4th. Yes we have lost a few and didn't look great today, but Tottenham are the same. They beat a poor 10 man Villa today.

5 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

tomatoe/tomato, i meant 532/352, whatever, same principle.

It isn’t.
352 puts your full backs in midfield and even almost as forward players. In 532 they’re alongside the CBs in a consistent defensive shape. 

2 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

It isn’t.
352 puts your full backs in midfield and even almost as forward players. In 532 they’re alongside the CBs in a consistent defensive shape. 

yea ok, i know what i meant, and my point stands.

13 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Even if we contained them fine in the 1st, the fact we even set up to contain them and barely attack ourselves was cowardly from a team at home firmly in 4th place. We didn’t do that against arsenal or city. Why against **** spurs 

No Kamara I suspect.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

How flat is your back 5 if Torres is up by their box threading a ball through to Bailey? The formation was nowhere near the issue today.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

Yes, the match was finished when the team sheet came out. 

People can try to blame the players but it was clear the team was uncomfortable when in possession and had no idea where their teammates were. 

Except it was 0-0 at half time. Konsa gifting them a second and McGinn getting sent off was probably more costly

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Except it was 0-0 at half time. Konsa gifting them a second and McGinn getting sent off was probably more costly

Not to mention the actual goal that broke the deadlock, and probably made our players sh*t themselves because of all the unnecessary pressure surrounding this game, is one of the best crosses I think I've ever seen. Especially from an unassuming CM I've hardly heard of. It was undefendable.

Edited by AV82

1 minute ago, AV82 said:

How flat is your back 5 if Torres is up by their box threading a ball through to Bailey? The formation was nowhere near the issue today.

That was in the 2nd half already 2 down iirc

setup was entirely the problem. Even the 2nd goal was caused by Konsa not having options due to how congested it was