Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

I like what we're doing with Monchi currently buying up younger kids. Whilst there might be some Championship youngsters with decent experience, they do then to cost 10-30m now an I'm not sure we can chance it on too many with PSR/FFP being tight. Even the lad Ronnie something from Peterborough was linked with us at something like 10-12m

Palace don't make many big purchases (i.e. Diaby, Bailey, Pau T) so they can take flyers on the championship. Might come to an end though as Dougie Freedman is suggested is credited as the man who has bought these players for Palace and he's now linked with United so they may have to replace him as well as Olise/Eze -  that's a lot of disruption just as they're turning a corner with the new coach

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

Seems like we gonna get our transfer business done early 

I thought the new sponsorships deals kick in with next years accounts?  If so, I'd see more of the business being done after July 1st but I might be wrong

*except for freebies like Hermoso

Edited by _AA_786
missed a line

5 hours ago, allani said:

Exactly this.  Kamara isn't a straight up DMC - he's good on the ball, got a good pass on him and is able to resist the press very well.  I think we need another player just like him (or very similar).  This gives us immediate cover - and hopefully we'll have enough football to keep everyone happy.  But more to the point it means that there will be matches / situations where it makes sense to play a trio like you suggest - who can protect our defensive line better and still transition the ball quickly and effectively to ensure that we are a major threat following a breakdown.  It is all about options and giving us as much balance as possible.  We've tried Luiz / McGinn as a central two for far too long - they're both excellent players playing in completely the wrong position at the moment.  The more we can keep them in their right positions the better.

I disagree. Kamara is very much a straight DM, he is just capable on the ball which is what you need from a DM. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, _AA_786 said:

I thought the new sponsorships deals kick in with next years accounts?  If so, I'd see more of the business being done after July 1st but I might be wrong

*except for freebies like Hermoso

It's always better to get it done on the previous year's accounts assuming you have room in that 3 year rolling period because then the amortisation is spread out longer. 

Think if Southampton don't get through the playoffs then we should be getting Walker-Peters. Absolutely no business in the championship and we need quality on the cheap and more options at RB. Feels like a no-brainer for me. Send KKH in the opposite direction on loan or a permanent to replace him. Would be happy with him and Cash competing in that spot but also happy to see another body come in to replace Cash in that position. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, useless said:

Jordan James, only nineteen but already has ninety-five Championship appearances, and ten caps for Wales, box-to-box midfielder, good all rounder, been consistently linked with Palace for those that like their recruitment, also nearly joined Atalanta in January who I think also have a good rep for recruitment, wouldn't be too expensive either, as is moving into the last year of his contract, and they will probably have to settle for less being a League One team now

I had a season ticket for the Wales qualifiers and he's been very impressive, even when up against Modric and Kovacic. International football isn't the same I know but think someone is going to get a good deal by picking him up.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

I disagree. Kamara is very much a straight DM, he is just capable on the ball which is what you need from a DM. 

If you take Nakamba as a straight DM then Kamara most definitely isn't a straight DM.  But the second half of your sentence is the key bit and I agree with it entirely.  We don't need a DM who can only tackle / disrupt the opposition.  We need someone who can then put their foot on the ball, make good decisions and pass the ball well.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, allani said:

If you take Nakamba as a straight DM then Kamara most definitely isn't a straight DM.  But the second half of your sentence is the key bit and I agree with it entirely.  We don't need a DM who can only tackle / disrupt the opposition.  We need someone who can then put their foot on the ball, make good decisions and pass the ball well.

Kamara is better than Nakamba but they both are DMs. Not sure what Kamara is if you wouldn't describe him as that given the area of the pitch he plays in and his defensive responsibilities. 

2 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

All the good ones are like that....I am staggered anyone is thinking different.

We have moved on from the midfield thug.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, TRO said:

All the good ones are like that....I am staggered anyone is thinking different.

We have moved on from the midfield thug.

There are still plenty of CMs or DCMs who won't fit in the system that Emery wants us to play because they are not good enough on the ball.  I agree that there are plenty of options who would be capable of playing in the way that we require.  But there are also a fair few who wouldn't be as disciplined defensively or as good on the ball when we have possession.

This discussion was kicked off by the suggestion of Sangare and the concern that his passing statistics are way below par.

Edited by allani

1 hour ago, Indigo said:

Kamara is better than Nakamba but they both are DMs. Not sure what Kamara is if you wouldn't describe him as that given the area of the pitch he plays in and his defensive responsibilities. 

Kamara came into this discussion in recognition of the fact that he's just as good when we have the ball as he is when we are trying to win it back.  As opposed to a player like Sangare who is good at winning the ball but not very good when he has the ball.  Basically I think we're all saying that we need someone (like Kamara) who can do both rather than a player who can only defend (like Sangare) or whois  good in possession but not really a defender / tackler (like Dougie or McGinn).  The semantics over what you call that type of player is largely irrelevant. 

5 hours ago, Pongo Waring said:

Seems like we gonna get our transfer business done early 

On what basis? 

Last few years we’ve got a couple in early and then a few late on 

4 hours ago, allani said:

There are still plenty of CMs or DCMs who won't fit in the system that Emery wants us to play because they are not good enough on the ball.  I agree that there are plenty of options who would be capable of playing in the way that we require.  But there are also a fair few who wouldn't be as disciplined defensively or as good on the ball when we have possession.

This discussion was kicked off by the suggestion of Sangare and the concern that his passing statistics are way below par.

I get your point, and its valid......but I hope you get mine.

There is no point, being good on the ball, if you can't get it, in the first place.......playing without the ball, is an important part of the game.

The good players, do both......win it and play it, convincingly.

I trust UE and Monchi to go after those that can do both.

There was a similar debate, when we signed Kamara.....saying its hard to get players who can do both. We not only did that, we got a french International at a tender age, with no transfer fee, from his home club....what a coup, just about perfect.

My point is.....if we don't know what we are going after, we can't get them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nnock1984 said:

I’d take Hermoso and Ndidi on frees to start us off 

Not sure about Ndidi, I think we can do much better, and it’s an area which we need to invest in well.

6 hours ago, TRO said:

I get your point, and its valid......but I hope you get mine.

There is no point, being good on the ball, if you can't get it, in the first place.......playing without the ball, is an important part of the game.

The good players, do both......win it and play it, convincingly.

I trust UE and Monchi to go after those that can do both.

There was a similar debate, when we signed Kamara.....saying its hard to get players who can do both. We not only did that, we got a french International at a tender age, with no transfer fee, from his home club....what a coup, just about perfect.

My point is.....if we don't know what we are going after, we can't get them.

I think you and I (and to be honest most people who replied to me yesterday) are making the same point and are looking for the same type of player.  There was a suggestion that Sangare might be a good option - which I questioned because although his defensive stats are quite good, his ability on the ball is questionable.  I said we don't need that type of player because to paraphrase you - there's no point winning the ball if you just give it away again.  The issue we have with Kamara out is that Luiz and McGinn are not defensively disciplined enough - i.e. they are both good on the ball but not at getting it back (McGinn's better at both higher up the pitch).  So we need another player like Kamara who can win the ball and then use it effectively - i.e. someone who is good at getting the ball back and then almost as good as keeping it.  There's very little point signing someone who is only good at one of those things.  Now whether you call that person a DCM, a straight DCM, a ball-playing DCM or whatever is not that important.  What is important (I think) is getting someone who can do both those things as it gives us more balance (something you and I have both stressed the importance of for years) and more options - i.e. potentially playing two of those types of players when we are playing teams that we expect to dominate possession.  I think we've all gone off on a tangent around what to call that type of player when actually I think almost everyone is thinking of the same type of midfielder.  There's some question about how many players there are that are good at both things - in that regard I personally think that a lot of younger players are being coached better in both regards whereas a few years ago it was a bit more - ah you're good on the ball you can be a ball playing midfielder or ah you're good at tackling and built like a brick outbuilding so we'll make you a defensive midfielder.

• Like 1

Â